Rod Modification

Morgo

Recently one of my light 2-4 kilo rods snapped in half, so as i stared at the broken pieces i had the thought that maybe i could attach the intact glass tip to another rod to extend it.

How could this be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Just the glass tip snapped off where it joins the fiberglass. It was a six foot rod, the one i propose to attach it to is just under that length and is mostly used for spinning.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

Hi Tom

Sounds like you should just be able to remove all the bindings & tip from the snapped off glass bit, make sure that your chosen rod 'top' is not bigger than the base of the glass 'extender'. If too small, you may even have to cut a tiny bit off the rod VERY CAREFULLY to accomodate the glass tip! Remove the rubber plug from the rod, slip the glass up to the top of the rod & pull it thru snuggly to check the fit. If it is a snug fit & feels good remove the glass, & put a small amount of epoxy glue around the bottom of it ... repeat previous step & snug it up really well. I would also bind & epoxy the exterior join (I would probably add another runner as well at the same spot) and reposition the tip with hot melt glue. Replace the rubber plug. Voila!

THis is how I have repaired a couple of broken rods (but using long bits than just the tip) - also using a mix & match from different rods! Surprising how well it works & can actually make the 'new' rod work with even better action than before!

Should work!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Tom

If you are unsure of doing it yourself, take it to one of our sponsors or your local tackle shop that advertises rod repairs. It is not expensive to get an eyelet or tip added. Pretty easy to do it yourself, too, after a bit of binding practise. TO remove the tip, usually, gently applied heat (cigarette lighter) to the tip ONLY (not the rod) will soften the glue sufficiently to remove the tip. If in doubt, don't - get the shop guy to do it.

This site should help you or do a google on ['rod repair' fishing ] There are a few sites there that will show you how to do it, but this one has heaps of pics to show you. I don't usually do an underbind unless the rod already has the others done the same way, so you can skip that bit to the 'overbind' section! The foot of the runner may need a bit sanded off to make it less bulky & easier to bind.

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/rodrep.htm

Choose an eyelet that is smaller than the last one on the rod (take the top half of the rod with you when you take it to the tackle shop for sizing) & at the same time, buy a new rod tip to suit the size of the glass bit that you are adding.

I use dental floss as a binding, but some of the purists may be horrified!! It is very strong & after you have finished binding, you can colour it any colour you want, with permanent texta marking pens, to suit the other runners already on the rod. Then use varnish, clear epoxy or lots of layers of clear nail polish (allow to dry well between coats) It is a good idea to bind the tip after gluing it on, as the ridge of the tip may catch line when you cast & become annoying.

Wrap the dental floss as close & tight as you can & every cm or so, 'snug it up to itself' with a blunt tool, then continue. You don't want gaps. About 2cm from the end, At this point, You need to add a loop for tying off the thread when you finish (using a separate piece of floss) so that the loop is pointing in the direction that you are binding & the tag ends are sticking out long enough so that you can pull them easily to pull the thread thru. WHen finishing the binding, put the tag end of your binding into the loop. Grab both 'tails' & pull the loop back under the completed binding to pull the thread thru. Snip off any loose end of the thread as snug as you can to the binding. If the guide has 2 feet, you will need to do this twice. epoxy or cover with clear nail varnish.

Good luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta