Winter Croc

Hodgey

G'Day Raiders

Well, I have just spent 2 terrific days fishing with Dene and Cam (Soft On). Cam had travelled down to spend a couple of days chasing some flatties. I will let him tell the story of our weekend, but I have a side report I'd like to share.

Towards the end of the day, I cast my 4" Gulp Minnow in lime tiger at a weed bed that lined a deep dropoff. The lure sank to the bottom without incident but after I had given it a couple of quick flicks off the bottom, I noticed the belly of the line was swimming off in the opposite direction off the drift. I came up hard to a fish that went ballistic. :1yikes:

This fish was motoring away at a great speed, to the point that Dene started the motor and started chasing it for me. This was a very powerful fish that kept diving for the bottom or charging off. I was using a 1-3kg rod, 6lb crystal and 10lb leader, so any advantage I could get by chasing this thing with the boat was greatly appreciated.

Finally, after a prolonged battle, I had color. Three voices exclaimed in unison "That's a bloody ripper". My heart was racing, because I had fought this girl for a long time and who knew how much damage had occurred on the leader? The next challenge was trying to fit it in the net!

post-3198-1216533769_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1216533900_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1216533970_thumb.jpg

This girl measured 88cm and was thick and powerful. She swam off after the photo session without a care in the world. It was great to catch a fish of that quality, especially in the company of a keen young raider who had travelled down to see us. Anyway folks, I'll let Cam post his report ... it should be a great read!

Hodgey

Hodgey,

well done mate... thats a nice freaken flattie... gotta be happy with that..!!

i agree with Roffo, gonna have to pump some money into the lime tigers..

good effort champ..

Kiro

I was gunna say if it had legs what was doing that far down south :074:

Great size fish mate well done :thumbup: . I'm still waiting to catch a girl

that size though my PB on sp is 69cms my favourite number :1prop:

i never had much luck with lime tiger i've only use that colour in 3" frys

and i've heard other fishos swear by them....

Rizzo :biggrin2:

:1clap: Well done Hodgey, that is an absolute beaut!

Save some for me in Sept will ya!?!

No probs mate ;)

Make sure you read 'Tuross Trio', as Cam has included a photo of Dene with a nice fish. :biggrinthumb:

Hodgey

Hi Hodgey!

What a WHOPPER!! :yahoo::thumbup::1yikes: Well done!!! Especially well done on getting her in on such light gear, too! :1yikes:

Amazing - I would have said 1m!! Incredible just how huge the head & upper girth is relative to the size of the fish - a special moment, putting her back, too.

Terrific fish, out with mates, what more would you want???

Chbeerio

Roberta

The really big ones should wake up in October :1prop:

Some anglers will catch Big flatties in their lifetime and forget about the fight but never the fish. I think you will always remember that fight .....Chasing a flattie like a Marlin so it doesn't smoke you was absolutely bloody GOLD!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by soft-on

:1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

That's one helluva fish Hodgey... great capture on such light gear. You're having a great time on the Flatties lately. If you're not careful you'll forget how to catch EP's and Bream.

Well done on another fantastic day on the water.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey ''H''.........

Stonker !

Now thats what Im talking about.

With any sort of luck, some of your talent may wash off onto me, by looking at these pics.

That would have been one hell of a rush!

Oh, and minnie me is here with me as I type this.

He is flabergasted, as am I.

Rod.

Maaaate,

Sorry I've been a little busy and missed this thread.

Excellent Lizard!!!!!

Do you think your old man will ever forgive you for not putting him on to such a specimen? :074::074:

As always, great pics, great scenery, and a great deal of skill to net that beauty.

Three cheers for releasing that trophy. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Carl