Hairtail? Can You Eat These?

Yarraone

Hi all I was just woundering as the Hairtail social is on and I hope to have a great weekend,, :1fishing1:

i have never fished for Hairtail and seeing as is it not catch and release,?? Can you eat these fish? Do you have a good recipe for them or any suggestions? My last few trips to H'berry have been great as I will be traveling down again from Bathurst.. I hope to meet more fish raiders there and have a great time.. Good luck to all :beersmile:

Hi Yarraone Hairtail great to eat you can bbq in foil; grill, fry ,microwave add any flavour nice white meat not to many about at the moment BUT maybe this cold snap were experiencing from today is just what might bring them on goodluck in the comp----------------sniper

I wasn't aware that the hairtail social was a comp as such :wacko:

Isn't it just a social event, get to meet some raiders, fish for hairies, exhancge stories of the one that

chewed through your wire etc etc...

As far as I understand, catch and release is always an option :thumbup:

Back to the question at hand... I've heard they're decent on the tooth.. quite similar in taste as Leatherjackets, but bonier... lots of bones, but apparently, easy to remove...

ahhhh don;t you just love second hand information... i'm useless!

Best of luck to all raiders fishing the social, hope the rain and storm forecasts chill out and allow for a good event..

:1fishing1: AJ

Edited by throw me a fish

Hi all I was just woundering as the Hairtail social is on and I hope to have a great weekend,, :1fishing1:

i have never fished for Hairtail and seeing as is it not catch and release,?? Can you eat these fish? Do you have a good recipe for them or any suggestions? My last few trips to H'berry have been great as I will be traveling down again from Bathurst.. I hope to meet more fish raiders there and have a great time.. Good luck to all :beersmile:

The flesh of hairtail is fine white flesh, a bit oily but strange to say if it is fried in a bit of oil(olive or peanut) this seems to remove to oilyness.

To be worthwhile keeping hairtail need to be over a metre or so, I have caught them up to over 2 metres and 2.5 Kg but they dont seem to be that big the last few years. They fillet easily and the only bones to worry about are a few in the rib cage which are easily removed.

Be careful handling them as those front teeth can deliver a nasty cut even when dead. Also the gill cage is very sharp. Get them between your knees and then get firm hold from on top of the gills and break their necks.

Best of luck in the hairtail night. Remember a bit of splashing and berley often helps turn them on.

there is a sushi technique called "aburi". its when you use the oily part of a fish (such as salmon belly) and you char the surface with a blowtorch for about 5 secs. this adds a smokey flavour and is good for people who dont like eating raw fish. tried this at work with hairtail and it was awesome with a little jap mayo, wasabi and soy sauce.

btw that hairtail above is a monster.

nice catch

small fry