Chook Pellets

Dorado 2

G'day Joe, I usually buy pellets that have a good concentration of corn, only because my chooks lay better coloured eggs. :biggrin2:

They all work the same and once wet they soon sink but like Heck said, add some tuna oil to make a better burley. :1fishing1:

I notice you're from my region, I bought a 40 kilo bag two weeks ago at the stockfeed joint at Leppington near the cemetry on Camden Valley Way. Cost $18 for the 40 kilos which is quite cheap, in fact the price has come down from a high of $23. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Cost $18 for the 40 kilos which is quite cheap, in fact the price has come down from a high of $23. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

30317[/snapback]

GEEZ...And I thought I got a bargain at $25! :1yikes:

I normally soak mine in water Joe. I will also add some oil, or pillie pieces for a bit of extra oomph. If shore based, I will mix the wetted pellets with sand to make it go a bit further. I don't worry about sand in the boat as I keep a 10 lt bucket full as back up under the floor. :thumbup:

Geezzzzzzzz I have been looking for this post did not realise I put it in fishing reports Sorry!! :1prop:

I have never used the stuff but I was after something where you can toss it in the water and down she goes without having to wet it down. A friend of mine use to buy a certain brand of cat food and it was a beaut, just toss and down it went to the bottom can't remember the brand.

I'm not really after 40 kilos cause I want to take the stuff up with me to portstephens perhaps I might just wait till I get up there and find a co op. just have to cut down on weight that's all it's amazing how much shit you can take with you.

Iain I also most of the time use bread which I buy from the bakery stale ofcoarse and dry it till it's rock hard and mix it with left over pilchard from the last fishing trip. Nothing beats that formula but I'm going to need back up in the next couple of weeks so I thought chook pellets might come handy :thumbup:

Thankyou gentlemen for your help again!!

Cheers Joe

Chook pellets as base for your burley is outstanding.

I'm feeling somewhat generous today, hence me releasing the Mystic Shads favorite recipe for what I call "Tell em we're here!" or Burley. There are a few variations to the blend. Below is one of my favorites

[/u]THE FOG OF WAR

TOOLS,

You'll need a ten litre or 15 litre chlorine bucket is better, a serving spoon from woolies,

INGREDIENTS,

5 cups of boiling water in bucket

pour two or three cups of cleaned wheet into water and leave for a few hours to soak.

Add 6 cups of chook pellets and a little water whilst stirring to a mush

2 tins of home brand tinned cat pilchards or seafood platter.

1 tin of home brand cat tuna.

put cat food into bucket and mash up as to uniformed consistancy

If the mood takes you, add tuna oil. I find olive oil works just as well.

add more water to make the mix like sloppy soup.

slowly stir whilst gently adding 50% sydney sand 50% brickies/bush sand until the mix has regained a pudding like consistancy.

When fishing. use every 5 minutes a little at a time

Scoop the mix out and compact it on the side of the bucket with the spoon

Drop it gently overboard, put your polaroids on and take a few moments to appreciate the Fog of War telling the fish where its at!

It is very effective at night in high phosphoresence areas.

One more tip for Chook Pellets

If I want my "tell em where here!" to have a little more zang.

I put a few kilos of pellets in a bucket with a wee splash of tuna oil. wet them down so they start to crumble leave the bucket near your garbage bin in a warm shaded spot. leave for a week, stash the bucket so management won't find it for another week.

You wont forget where you left it as its getting a little rank now.

Take a look at the bucket, all seems the same as how you left it. I dare you to break the hardened skin of decomposed meal. The bucket comes alive with choice, pick of the litter, Maggots.

If you like using yackas for livies then throw a few of these little critters out.

Avoid using too much tuna oil in any mix as you find the fish go quiet after 1/2 hour of dispersal. Suffice to say the bigger fish have turned up, namely noahs

lol, maggot burley, that's great.

Down at Kincumber you can buy minced chicken at the pet produce store for cheap, I've used it a few times and the breamos love it, mixed in with wheat etc. I don't recon there's any need for tuna oil with all the oil in the chicken.

Anyone know a place on the coast to buy chook pellets cheap?

Any stockfeed place will sell chookpellets the price ranges from $18 - $30 for 40kgs. check the yellow pages

It's wise to think of the repurcussions of buying 40kgs of chook pellet before you do. Rats and mice love chook pellets more than chooks do. ( you'll have rodents taking up residence sooner than chooks will!) :1yikes:

The volume of 40kg of chook pellets around 140litres. You're going to need a rodent proof drum to store the stuff in which will probably cost you more than the pellets in the first place. Once rodents know the food is there. theyll chew like mad to get to it. Wheelybin plastic is like sorbet for them.

Now that you've left enough tucker in your garage or shed for several generations of rodent to dine on. Consider who is going to kill you first. The tiger snake or management? :wife:

Most woolworths and IGA's sell 10kg bags for $10-$12. I still carry the scars from my last 40kg chook pellet exercise