My Girl Needs A New Combo

bobfish

Hey raiders,

I finally took my better half out for a fish after a year of nagging. I packed the gear begrudgingly and went up to narrabeen lake to float some unweighted baits just incase some resident flatties had woken up from their slumber.

Turns out she can bait a hook, cast just as far as me (albeit a little less accurately :074: ) and on the whole loved the experience. We caught a heap of flatties to 65cm and a nice fat sole too. It was a great first session!

Now im posed with a problem.... she needs a fishing rod fitting of her taste. So its gotta be pink or red. I figure graphite is the way to go, and a nice spinning combo suited to flatties, bream etc is the goal.

Any ideas guys? Maybe some of your gf's or wives have some tips. I figure the price range should be around 300 bucks.

Cheers

Bobfish

Shimano and Okuma both have female rod lines.

The shimano range is called the Lipstix and are pink.

The okuma Femme Fatale is also pink.

Not sure on pricing but i'd imagine they are ok rods.

Josh

Wifey has the 7"6 Lipstix rod and its quite a nice rod to use (not that Id know) She ended up with the Okuma callyn reel which also has quite a nice feel to it however I did replace the handle as it had one of those small baitcaster type handles on it.

Geoff

My :wife: won't settle for the pinks.. she likes the black on black graphite jobbies.. I guess once you've had black etc etc... :biggrin2:

A good way to tell is to check her wardrobe. If it is predominantly black, then she won't like the pink. Also check shoes and handbags to make sure she can accessorise. They seem to like a little bit of bling too. :1prop:

Edited by Cephalopod

My :wife: won't settle for the pinks.. she likes the black on black graphite jobbies.. I guess once you've had black etc etc... :biggrin2:

A good way to tell is to check her wardrobe. If it is predominantly black, then she won't like the pink. Also check shoes and handbags to make sure she can accessorise. They seem to like a little bit of bling too. :1prop:

Hmmmm, you might be onto something there Ceph. Pink might be overdoing it a bit, maybe I could put some pink line on it instead. Any ideas for a reasonably priced combo then? Im used to buying extravagantly expensive gear, and have no idea about the low end stuff :074:

Mmm.. probably a Shimano Saros ($120-150 if you buy it here) and a mid range Shimano spinning rod like a Rack Raider or similar.

I am sure there is a Daiwa equivalent. Make sure she sees it as equal to your gear. This is most important.

I reckon you should take her to the tackle shop and bend a few and see which ones she likes.

Remember, happy wife, happy life!! :thumbup:

my sis has the okuma Femme Fatale and it is pink

i used it a couple of times because mine was set up for lures and i was getting tried of not catching anthing and i was surprised how good it was

it has nice berings in it and the rod is sutied with it

it is about $100 so it is well in your price range

fisherboy :1fishing1:

HEY EVERYONE,

why does a rod for ur mrs have to be pink?

what are we like 6? pink for girls and blue for boys?

My girl flicks a loomis with a team daiwa and does pretty well most of the time!

Get ur mrs a decent combo mate, pretend its for urself and then just hand it over, its that simple :biggrin2:

Hmmmmmm musty :Funny-Post:

Ladies do like something a little special and if it is very "girly" the men will not be seen dead using it.

My arsenal has some girly stuff in it :1prop: The holographic guides and tip, pink binding, titanium pink marbled butt cap make it very girly don't you think :biggrin2:

post-869-1217596096_thumb.jpg

post-869-1217596120_thumb.jpg

post-869-1217596139_thumb.jpg

and then there is this one........

post-869-1217596491_thumb.jpg

post-869-1217596786_thumb.jpg

with its nice matching reel .......

post-869-1217596574_thumb.jpg

I guess the colour does not make it any good though :yahoo:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

PS Go get your wives and girlfriends something that they will enjoying using :biggrin2: and bobfish your wife has good taste in choosing pink or red !!

Get ur mrs a decent combo mate, pretend its for urself and then just hand it over, its that simple :biggrin2:

Musty, I think there is some real merit in that. Firstly it has to be a highly tuned tool used for separating fish from water :thumbup:

Mrs Swordfisherman, those are seriously classy outfits you have there.....who would have thought holographic guides...? Im thinking now i will spend a bit more dosh and find something similar (albeit a little less impressive). Also, she isn't yet my wife but the way she was fishing I should be putting a deposit on a ring!

Thanks for the helpful hints raiders

Bobfish