2 Switches 1 Light Source

peahead

Hi Fisho's

I have a flybridge and have the need to add deck lights for the stern for fishing or work. I would like to install 1 switch in the flybridge and another downstairs.

Both switches need to be able to turn the light on or off.

I have scoured the net for a wiring diagram but can't find a good one for boats. Are you guys able to help me with either where i can find a wiring diag or a site that can help.

I am doing some other sparky work on my boat but this one is puzzling me.

Hope to get some help.

Cheers

Jimmy.

I presume from what you are asking is that you want two different switches to control the one set of lights.

What you need is a couple of two way switches. They will have three sets of contacts on the back. One is a common then each of the other contacts will become "made" depending on which way the switch is flicked.

You just need to run two wires (called straps) in between the switches a positive into one switch and the feed to the lights into the other.

post-2626-1217906898_thumb.jpg

Through pure coincidence I had been shown the site where this diagram came from only thismorning.

http://www.rkm.com.au/ANIMATIONS/animation...way-switch.html

Dave

Hi Dave and Jason,

Appreciate your help.

I'll give it a go in the next couple of weekends and see how i fair, if things don't pan out as they should I might just give you a call Jason.

Thanks heaps for your help again :thumbup: .

Jimmy.

Easy. Go see an auto leccie, get a double pole relay, he'll draw you a simple diagram, donezo

With all due respect to Jigholio dont go anywhere near a relay. The addition of contacts and coils is nothing more than an uneccesary complication that adds more parts to be effected by the salt. The diagram above is the simplest method of wiring two way switches and as the saying goes KISS.

Dave