New $30 Mil Boat Ramp Planned For Botany Bay

I read the below in the Sutho Shire Leader the other day.

$30m boat ramp plan

BY MURRAY TREMBATH

6/08/2008 11:46:00 AM

A $30 million redevelopment of Foreshore Beach, on the northern side of Botany Bay, will be carried out as part of the billion-dollar port expansion.

While anglers may lose access to another portion of the bay, they will get one of the State's biggest boat ramps.

It will have four lanes and two pontoons, with an enormous car park and viewing platform.

There will be enclosed facilities for cleaning fish, and provision for washing boat engines using recycled water.

The area will be planted with native vegetation and will include a one-kilometre pedestrian and cycle path and a new amenities building, including toilets, shower, water bubbler, dog bowl and bicycle racks.

Fifty spaces for cars and 130 for trailers will be provided.

A pedestrian bridge will be built to link Sir Joseph Banks Park and Foreshore Beach, and a bird-watching platform constructed.

Ports Minister Joe Tripodi said contractor, Baulderstone-Hornibrook, would start work on the boat ramp in September, and it was expected to be open by August next year.

``The full facilities at the boat ramp will progressively be made available to the community, with completion by March 2011,'' he added.

post-4925-1218156175_thumb.jpg

If it comes through , that will be wonderful , but the original specs provided LESS car and trailer spaces than the Penrhyn Rd site. Apparently the amount of reclamation to be done was primarily for the new container wharf , and trailer parking spaces at the new ramp were pretty low on the list of priorities. Its not that I dont trust the government , its just that I dont trust them !!

Ross

2011- hmmmm seems a long way away and will it be as protected as the other one. Looks pretty exposed and have they allowed to dredge it out every few years in that position.

Ross you have trust issues mate - I think you are right to have them. The old $30 million???? is what we are spending forgetting that they are taking back land worth as much. Think about it 30million - that is a pile of money far exceeding what they are proposing. Somethng smells.

Oh yeah and with teh bay destroyed by a desal plant and expanded wharf security zones and dredging for the wharves will there be any fish??

Edited by pelican

• 1 month later...

Pelican, the channel will be deep enough for the container ships, have a look at the configuration on Sydney ports web site.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/asset...act_summary.pdf

Cheers Jimmy.

Hi Jimmy

Yeah I know . That is a lot of sand and mud to move and they then narrow the entrance down to like 500m at the end of the runway. I think they will need to dredge that entrance sevral times in the next 10 yease and considering the size of boats that is starting to come to AUS they will need every inch f draft. Won't affect rec boats but disturbance with dredging causes all sorts of issues. The beach next to the new boat ramp is I think will turn muddy as it doesn't take much for the tubs and boats to stir up the botttom and they don't have room to turn around.

This is a massive ports project. I now wonder with the NSW govt in dire financial strife if all the nice little details like the boat ramp will be completed to their full potential. By the way what is an enclosed fish cleaning station - wonder if they will ask for any input or did they get their design from a website? Nice place to doss though. Some security down there would be nice as well

Was just a little pissed at the 30mill number as they have added in all the non direct costs to big note themselves and show how good they are to us poor ol' boat users and forget that if they wern't doing the port expansion that for 2 mill they could expand parking at the existing put a pontoon and a couple more lanes and dredge a small amount. How bad are existing NSW marine facilities if a 4 lane ramp is the bees knees - I think it says something about the underinvestment trailer boat users have suffered for 30 years.

I guess we are all blinded and surprised that we get a new facility ( I truely hope it is a beauty and fully funded) as it is such a rarity but we lose a useful onethat already exists. Would be nice to see some more spent on others and a new one somewhere as well.

Edited by pelican

They have started work , the greater part of the Bay between Penrhyn Rd Ramp and the 3rd runway is now blocked off. It also appears ( but I cant confirm ) that while the ramp is still open , the pontoon appears to have been fenced off. Lots of barges around the area , and the water was a horrible khaki colour ( you can only imagine what contaminants have been stirred up , this area was already the subject of a pollution warning ) .

Ross

• 1 year later...

I drive past it every day and most weekends in the boat, they are really pushing to get it open i think so that they can close the other ramp down and start dropping the concrete pilers in for the container wharf, looks like it should be ready with in a few months. Not sure how well the 4 lanes will work though?

they need to make a jet ski only ramp so they can annoy each other insted of me trying to put my boat on the trailer,i think in the personal watercraft licence test it doesnt have a question about speed limits because they dont know what one is at cooks river ramp thats for sure,

wile im having a winge they need to bring in learn to reverse a trailer test for jet skis to

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day all,

Funnily enough I went for a drive to this boat ramp just yesterday (Saturday 03/10/09) doing some recon.

Recently moved to the area and checking out where I could launch the boat from.

I can confirm the boat ramp is open. Currently 2 lanes. There is some Q&A material there if you stop there. There are a few parking spots there, some of which is fenced off for the ports expansion demountable offices.

They reckon nothing with a draft over 1.5m. The wharf/pontoon is still accessible although the pontoon did not seem so balanced....

Otherwise, when the seas settle, I'll give it a lash and let you know how I go.

Dave.

Nothing like destroying a nice sea grass area then building a boat ramp face due south. That will make for some interesting launches and retrievals. I would have loved to have seen the container area built up on pylons instead of filling it in with sand etc. Then at least we could have had some more shelter for fish to get in and hide under and provide new habitat. It will be interesting to see how this affects the currents and sand movements of the bay.

Edited by caranx

• 2 weeks later...
G'Day all,

I can confirm the boat ramp is open. Currently 2 lanes. There is some Q&A material there if you stop there. There are a few parking spots there, some of which is fenced off for the ports expansion demountable offices.

Hi Dave,

Can you confirm if it is the new ramp that is open or the old ramp at Penryhn Road?

Nathan

Hi Dave,

Can you confirm if it is the new ramp that is open or the old ramp at Penryhn Road?

Nathan

He was talking about the old 2 lane ramp which is still open.

The new one should be open "late october/early november" according to a leaflet in my letterbox.

So it must be soon.

He was talking about the old 2 lane ramp which is still open.

The new one should be open "late october/early november" according to a leaflet in my letterbox.

So it must be soon.

Thanks Shaune

I was leaning towards that response but wasn't sure. Might stick to Cooks River until the new one is complete.

The old ramp is still okay.

The only problem at the moment is the 1-2kms of 8kt zone to get out of it.

(Although I seem to be the only one that does under 8kts)

The new ramp will only shorten this by about 500m.

I assume (& hope) the 8kt zone is only whist construction of the new port is going on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With out wind about I thought the ramps, parking and cleaning tables were all excellent.. However the cleaning table were a mess with guts and carcasses and maggots everywhere..It is a pitty some people dont take a bit more care of the facilities as much as they do with thier boat and gear... :mad3:

With out wind about I thought the ramps, parking and cleaning tables were all excellent.. However the cleaning table were a mess with guts and carcasses and maggots everywhere..It is a pitty some people dont take a bit more care of the facilities as much as they do with thier boat and gear... :mad3:

Quite true Yarraone, sole boaties seem to get everything right methodically with their launching, boating and fishing, and their attitude in general and their courtesy towards others when they are out on their own and usually tend to clean up after themselves at the cleaning tables just as methodically as they do everything else

It's the lead booted sacks of potatos, the walking carcases lol, the dudders and free loaders that go out on a boat that need to be rounded up with a stockwhip to get them to keep their part of the boat and keep the environment clean and at least clean up after themselves at the cleaning tables.

Having said that, Shirl and I have just finished off a watermelon after having a plate of ham and eggs and it's her turn to go off and do the washing up and it's my turn to feed the dogs. :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: