A Tough Day On The Water

Hodgey

G'Day all

As the title suggests, today was a real tough day on the water. I arrived at the boatshed 20 min before Deno's scheduled arrival so I had a flick with a 3" minnow. Second cast, and this beautiful little gurnard put in an appearance.

post-3198-1218261482_thumb.jpg

Deno arrived, so we loaded the boat and headed off. We received torrential rain during the week and were uncertain how this would effect the fishing. Neither of us expected the quality of fishing we have experienced in the last couple of weeks, but we sure as hell didn't think it would fish as hard as it did. :thumbdown:

Within the first 20 minutes I am battling a heavy fish that was shaking its head frantically during the entire battle. Didn't think it was a flattie and lo and behold, it bit me off under the boat before we could get a look at it. :mad3: We both believe it was a good sized tailor.

In the next 40 mins we boated 2 nice fish approx 55cm. The weather was dead calm, with barely a ripple on the water. With scenery like this, it's hard not to enjoy a day on the water ...

post-3198-1218261964_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1218262026_thumb.jpg

We were on the water for 2 hours and had only boated three fish. Finally, I came up tight against a reasonable fish, and with a minimum amount of fuss, she was bought to the boat, photographed and released. Only 68cm but carrying the same terrific condition we have seen for the last couple of weeks.

post-3198-1218262277_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1218262335_thumb.jpg

Disappointed with our efforts, we travelled towards the entrance of lake in search of a change of luck. Fished 'Cam's Corner' for a little over an hour for a couple of medocre fish. At this stage the wind started to pickup, so I suggested we go back to our intial spot to try again.

Within minutes of arriving, Dene is into a good fish which again eluded us underneath the boat :mad3: Two casts later, and Dene lands a nice fish of 60cm. :thumbup:

post-3198-1218262636_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1218262695_thumb.jpg

We finished the day with 13 fish. It may have been the fact that we were fishing a predominately run-in tide (my least-preferred tide for flatties), or the effects of substantial freshwater into the system in a short period ... who knows. I reckon it was because my 'lucky' FishRaider cap was at home in the washing :biggrin2:

Hodgey

Footnote for GregL: These are a couple of the banks I spoke of regarding 'blade' fishing

post-3198-1218264029_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1218264088_thumb.jpg

Great report Hodgey,you got some nice fish & lookin at the photo's the flatties are in top condition.

Not a bad spot you fish down there either mate,with scenery like that just being on the water is

good enough.The 13 fish you boys got is a great added bonus to your day,well done!

Steve

13 fish isnt a bad outing

Those banks look good What depth are they?

Looks more like a HB area

G'Day Andrew. The first photo is of a rocky ledge. The water at its base slopes down quite quickly and is littered with broken rock and shell.

The second one has a broad weedbed in front of the boulders (great for poppers) then drops down into another shell-encrusted bottom. Water depth for both would probably max out at 15feet.

There is also a lot of abandoned broken racks spread through our system. A lot of 'individual' posts to cast your blades at :thumbup: I have the 35mm blades.

Hodgey,

Its really shows how good your estuary system is when you call 13 fish a "tough day" :074:

Well done to both you and Dene for producing some really nice lizrds.

I am rubbing my hands in excitement for some summer sessions with you fella's!

Cheers

Cam

Edited by soft-on

Hi Hodgey

What a shame - only 13 fish !! :( I wish my last couple of efforts on the water was that bad!! :1prop: I couldn't even catch a cold!! Tho the sinus has kicked in since!

We didn't get any of the bad weather whilst in Sydney or here! hopefully your fishing will pick up soon.

Lovely shots - how gorgeous are the colours in the gurnards wings? Great reflections, too. Very Purty!

Well done on the fish you did get - shame the good one/tailor got off ..... always nice on the grill with lemongrass squeezed onto it! :)

Yes Iceman, I reckon a tackleback or snorkel gear (in summer) would be an essential addition for those fishing with blades & other lures (as the price of most top lures are pretty pricey!) I am still looking for that chubby that the bream busted me off in the fishing comp! :mad3:

Cheerio

Roberta

Another great detailed report Hodgey.

Thanks for the pix, they really get the casting arm twitching!

Tuff day 13 fish to 68cm?

Your to spoilt living in a place like that!

The banks look great and no wonder you had such a good time on the surface over the warmer months, especially the last shot with the scattered rocks.....

Also try the Baby Vib 35's and the 43's as they have a slower sink rate than the blades. Might be the key to it in the super clear waters and over the weed.

In one of my local waterways that we usually fish the surface in summer we tried with blades for excellent resaults. We use to only get a few solid fish fishing with plastics per session. Jackets and small fish use to plague us. Now we seem to catch a bigger average sized fish and you just don't go threw a shed load of plastics either because of the jackets nipping chunks out of em.

That water way looks very similar, deep steep drop offs with scattered rock. The rocks that sit out from the bank a little more than the rest are excellent to pause your surface lures over the top of. These are the same places to dead stick your blade a bit.

The crevice's and gutters in the rocks where we LOVE chucking surface into also still have fish in them in this cool water, 35mm vib with it's slow sink rate so you don't get hung up to badly in the shallows are easy to present.

Another area we like are the caves in the walls. On the steep banks check what the ground looks like above the water, bet it looks similar below the water ;) Drop your blades down the front of these and they get smashed.

I suppos what I'm saying is fish the same places you got them on surface, now your just presenting a sinking lure to them when their attention is is more on bait fish than insects and pawns.

I gotta get myself down south. Those pristine enviroments are just so special to fish in. Living and fishing in Sydney then fishing in a place that you don't hear CAR noise is just something.....

Good luck with it and keep in touch with how you go. Will be interesting to gather your resaults to compare.

Greg

Something a mate put me onto to get lures back when fishing banks like these.

Get a paint roller pole, one of the extendable type, get a sturdy one.

Buy a couple of the small roller handles that fit a 10-15cm roller that screw onto the pole.

Great for pushing the boat off the rocks in shallow water especially when you cant use the electric without smashing it on the rocks.

Great for wacking tree branches to get lures out of :blush:

When your stuck deep, wind the line on the hook of roller handle, keep tension on line and slide pole down the line to the lure, a few jiggles and lure should come free.

Not bad for $30 me thinks.

G

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. :thumbup:

Thanks for your informative responses Greg. :thumbup: I have spoken to numerous raiders and sent a few PMs (as you know) regarding these little lures, and now have a much better picture of the how and where for blades and vibs. Ironically, I purchased five 35s and 43's THIS MORNING!

We are experiencing the same problems with leatheries now ... land your plastic near the weed beds and it comes back looking like swiss cheese :mad3: We have managed a couple of bream over the last two weekends but they have been VERY skinny :1yikes: A completely different fish to the well-conditioned flathead. I have printed off the PMs and responses I have received and will spend the next couple of weeks committing all the information to memory :biggrin2:

I like that idea of the paint roller pole. Would save a shedload of heartache for the electric and serve well for tackle retrieval. Thanks once again mate!

Hodgey

Great effort to you and Dene, Hodgey. :thumbup:

Some pretty good smiles on those dials relay the great time you guys had. :yahoo:

As always, 10 out of 10 for the fantastic pics of your backyard.

Is that the Great Dividing Range in the background?

Gotta love those rocky ledges - looks a great place to put out a livey. :1fishing1:

Have you exclusive rights to this river system? :074:

Never seem to see any other anglers boats in your shots. :05:

Picture postcard and a great report.

Thanks