Iron Cove Land-based

sherackattack

Went out with a mate to Iron cove on saturday, saw on a site that high tide was 2pm, but when i got there i'm pretty sure it wasn't :( got there at 12 noon to catch the run-in. On friday i got myself some 6lb crystal fireline and 10lb vanish and was psyched to try out how it would go against a fish

Anyways, we started at le montage on the wharf there.. tried some plastics but had no success, so we started to move around the point flicking plastics. had no success so we kept walking around the point towards the IC bridge... no success still!! walked past other people fishing on the way, and they seemed to have the same story as us.

Well we stayed under IC bridge, and i tried to be a hero and threw out a whole squid on another rod that i brought in hope of catching a nice fish :1prop: but once again the same story

so me and my mate figured that seeing IC was out of action that we might birchgrove it. we kept walking in a general direction from memory towards the ferry wharf, and thus, the epic joureny began

finally got there around 5pm and were too stuffed to seriously fish, so we tried for things under the wharf with some prawns. NOT EVEN ANY BITES! the toad fish weren't even around :1badmood:

ah well, not sure if i can keep blaming winter but i'm getting frustrated!!! it still won't hinder my efforts on going fishing though, hopefully i'll fluke some day and some big fish will stroll past my bait or lure and take it

Note to self: will fish again this week :D

FISH COUNT FOR WINTER: 1 (20cm leatherjacket) :yahoo:

Mate, you've done half of the "Bay Run" with fishing gear in tow - no wonder you were tired! Maintain that enthusiasm (and energy) and it's bound to turn for the better. Maybe you’ve just invented a new Olympic sport ……Fishatholon? :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Cam

Went out with a mate to Iron cove on saturday, saw on a site that high tide was 2pm, but when i got there i'm pretty sure it wasn't :( got there at 12 noon to catch the run-in. On friday i got myself some 6lb crystal fireline and 10lb vanish and was psyched to try out how it would go against a fish

Anyways, we started at le montage on the wharf there.. tried some plastics but had no success, so we started to move around the point flicking plastics. had no success so we kept walking around the point towards the IC bridge... no success still!! walked past other people fishing on the way, and they seemed to have the same story as us.

Well we stayed under IC bridge, and i tried to be a hero and threw out a whole squid on another rod that i brought in hope of catching a nice fish :1prop: but once again the same story

so me and my mate figured that seeing IC was out of action that we might birchgrove it. we kept walking in a general direction from memory towards the ferry wharf, and thus, the epic joureny began

finally got there around 5pm and were too stuffed to seriously fish, so we tried for things under the wharf with some prawns. NOT EVEN ANY BITES! the toad fish weren't even around :1badmood:

ah well, not sure if i can keep blaming winter but i'm getting frustrated!!! it still won't hinder my efforts on going fishing though, hopefully i'll fluke some day and some big fish will stroll past my bait or lure and take it

Note to self: will fish again this week :D

FISH COUNT FOR WINTER: 1 (20cm leatherjacket) :yahoo:

glup pumkinseed softplastics and when the chips are down, the bay in front of the field bout 100meters from ic bridge ...smash the flat heads some good sizes in there too.... see you down there one weekend ..theres been kings taken from there and salmon too........... keep trying bud and thay will come

as the others have said keep trying. I fish the area after work just for a flick with HBs and plastics for bream however i tend to start at the same place but head the other way. Have pulled some stonker bream from a few places around there. Wouldnt eat them though! If you ever want to go for a flick PM. Rember Structure is your friend.

Maybe you’ve just invented a new Olympic sport ……Fishatholon?

rekon if it was in beijing i'd win gold? :P

YOU MUST CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK.

very true, i also follow some tips my uncle seriously told me:

1) to catch fish, you must think like a fish

2) the bigger the cast, the bigger the fish (not quite sure about this one)

:1prop:

but on another note, thanks for the tips and info, look around for my next post with a picture of a massive smile on my face :thumbup:

cheers,

ALEX!

Hey Alex,

Iron Cove around Le Montage is a very productive spot (for catch and release, I don't eat the fish there).

I used to fish that area a lot.

My gear consisted of a light graphite lure rod, a 1500 reel, 6lb fireline, 6lb flurocarbon, 1/16th jighead, and a variety of softplastics.

You just cast out and work your way along the walkway. We mainly caught flathead there but also a fair few bream. Try and fish it on the run up and the high tide. Low tide the water is too low there.

I think its just winter and the fish are off the chew right now. I was fishing last sunday arvo around birkenhead point and I couldn't even see a single fish in the water after walking and casting for a fair distance.

Good luck,

Chris