Why Is Soccer The Best Ball Game?

Dreamtime

Well, we all have our favourite ball sports; however on a skill level it is pretty difficult to go past soccer. Other ball sports have a heavy contact factor, and I don’t dispute the toughness, or courage needed to participate in the likes of league, union, AFL, gridiron or Gaelic codes of football. I personally enjoy watching them all; this topic is about the skill factor involved only.

When you score in soccer you receive 1 point, other codes it can be anything up to 6 or 7 points (including a conversion), even if you hit the post you get 1 point in some codes. This, in my opinion does not reflect the skill factor; in soccer 1 goal = 1 point, even a score line of 0-0 depicts a good close game. Imagine that score in a game of AFL, that is unheard of. Other codes, after you score you get a second opportunity to have a “free” shot – kick the ball over the posts and you get points? If it’s a penalty and you kick over the posts you score higher than a conversion would score? In soccer, a penalty still only scores 1 point.

Whilst the ball is in play, only the goalkeeper can touch the ball with his hands in soccer, other codes you can pick it up, throw it to a team member, and throw it into the goal, punch it and so on. Soccer is a game that requires major skill to play the ball with your feet, head and chest only.

The attire in some codes would be more suited to riding a motorcycle or the like, unlike with soccer where players don’t wear padding or head protection.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BmQ02VszQ

We have now become the sponsor of Junior Soccer in Honiara - check the link below.

http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?optio...6&Itemid=42

Edited by Mariner 31

Yeah I guess it is okay to watch but the bit that rubs me the wrong way is when the guy with the ball gets a little tiny tap on the shin and he carries on like he has been hit with a sledge hammer, thats usually when I go back to watching real footy.. Cheers..

Love Soccer except:

- the team which played the best doesn't necessarily win. Yes I know this happens in other codes but the scoring system particularly favours the lucky in soccer. The outcome is also more easily affected by a single ref decision.

- acting jobs straight out of NAIDA

I have played as a teenager but just find it too frustrating to follow as an adult.

Soccer doesnt do it for me.

Seems most of the game is just passing the ball backwards and forwards without much real action.

I guess its each to their own I'm a big league fan, from Juniors to 1st grade but Union gets monotonous in my book.

AFL in Sydney is quite boring but the atmosphere at a Melboune venue makes it a great day out.

I overlook a bowling green and can sit and watch for ages its quite mesmerising sometimes and the alcohol component seems attractive.

DAve

unlike with soccer where players don’t wear padding or head protection.

What about that chelsea goal keeper?? He wears a headgear, i mean its understandable if he has some condition that requires him to wear it but otherwise that is a joke. Soft as, soccer is a soft game and the non-contact part of it is way overemphasised by the diving, acting players and idiotic referees.

I can't watch a full game of soccer.

Union, league and AFL are all good but union is the standout that seems to be the best to watch and play as well as referee because the laws make sense and the guys behind the scenes are actually working in order to try and improve the game for both players and spectators which is much more than you can say for whats happening in league.

Just my thoughts....i'll know others will disagree.

Cheers

Josh

....If you like grown men cuddling one and other so be it.... :1prop:

I enjoy a game of Rugby but do think there's alot more Skill and Precision involved in a game of soccer...

Through a footy at ya mate,,,, then try to pass a soccerball to him at a distance ??

Try to dribble a soccer ball around him,, then try and step around your mate with a footy 10m in front of you??

Which is harder???

I also think that the way in which rugby is played allows for a more tackticle approach compared to soccer??

Just my 10cents worth

im with you marnier on this one. but each to their own. this country will never embrace the game and only seem to support it when the world cup comes around.

Each to their own but I don't think it is any mystery which code I prefer. I've played league and while it is physically demanding, it is easy compared to football.

As to this country not embracing the game, well I think you have your head in the sand. The A league has higher average attendances than league, and its only just started. If it ever gets free to air coverage then I think the rugby codes have something to worry about (even I won't get pay TV to watch sport). It already has the highest participation rates.

I like to watch league (although the wrestling is getting a bit frustrating) and I could not handle watching union at all until recently but that's neither here nor there. Where these codes will suffer is in participation rates. My son (10) hounded me to play league for his school. He's not exactly small for his age and he's fast. Well the season is over and he now want's to play football next year. Why. Quite simply, he's been smashed on more than one occasion without the ball. Nothing's changed, from when I played. The thugs are still there and now you have the 6 foot Polynesian 13 year olds to deal with.

Do you remember when Rugby Union was played by amateurs and only attracted interest when Australia played NZ. Wasn't that long ago.

im pretty sure kicking a foot ball and making it land just out from the goal line and have a team mate there to catch it takes much more skill then anything to do it soccer. i bet most soccer players wouldnt even be able to run and pass a footy and hit the player in the right position. where as anyone can kick a soccer ball

leagues the sport

thats my two cents

im pretty sure kicking a foot ball and making it land just out from the goal line and have a team mate there to catch it takes much more skill then anything to do it soccer. i bet most soccer players wouldnt even be able to run and pass a footy and hit the player in the right position. where as anyone can kick a soccer ball

leagues the sport

thats my two cents

Mate that is what football is all about. Kicking it to your teammate. In league if you can kick the ball you suddenly become the world's best player. Remember, the debate here is about skills not what game you like to watch or support.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, more than one player per team can actually kick the ball accurately. I'll bet more football players can play league than vice versa. The funniest thing I think to watch is 95% of league players trying to kick a ball of any description.

Yeah I guess it is okay to watch but the bit that rubs me the wrong way is when the guy with the ball gets a little tiny tap on the shin and he carries on like he has been hit with a sledge hammer, thats usually when I go back to watching real footy.. Cheers..

I saw a funny film clip recently about the Italian Olympic Diving Team.

No water anywhere, just their soccer players diving into the penalty area, writhing in agony and watching the referee with one eye hoping that he would award them a penalty :074:

Can't remember which show it was, might have been Rove but it was very amusing.

rugby league used to be good, until all the legends of nrl left, and now all these nobody rookies are playing (look at the doggies' lineup) and there doesn't seem to be much creativity anymore.. the forwards act as a battering ram and only now and then you may see a decent play

and you can't just write off soccer because it isn't as tough of a game as rugby.... obviously you have to be more muscular and built for NRL because that is what the game requires

even though you might think diving in soccer is sissy, it still is part of the game, just like shirt-pulling

and nobody has really seemed to give a decent reason as to why other codes of sport such as rugby are better than soccer besides 'soccer is for sissys' and 'footy players are tough'

Edited by sherackattack

Congratulations on sponsoring junior and amature sport in your local community. Regardless of what sport or the way it is scored it is great to see people have the opportunity to play sport. With insurance, ground fees for training and club memberships and all the school facilities being locked up over here it is a miracle anyone still plays amature sport.

I'll bet more football players can play league than vice versa.

They wouldn't last a second in a contact sport the way the dive and carry on, its a joke when they do that and is what makes it so hard to watch soccer.

Both games require different skills and it can't be proven that one is better than the other, only opinions can be put forward which are right to some and wrong to others.

Unfortunately there is no one answer as to what the best ball game is but my opinion is that its Rugby Union.

I don't like soccer too but merit is given when its deserved

yes anyone can kick a soccer ball, but can anyone kick it with accuracy? i think not

is beckham really over rated? not really. he consistently passes the ball right at his team mates foot over long distances. rarely do i see him overshoot across field

Sure soccer takes a lot of skill .. so does golf, tennis etc etc

Trying to argue that 1 sport is more skillfull than an other is completely pointless, they are different skills your trying to compare apples to oranges

I'll bet more football players can play league than vice versa.

to be honest none of them would have the strenght to take a hit in nrl or union or even afl in come cases. the way they act after being gently nudged is just too much for them that they have to fall to the ground

cant stand it!