Why Is Soccer The Best Ball Game?

Dreamtime

Come one Mariner.. where are your clever responses?

I must say, I agree with Ray R. They do carry on when there is an imaginary injury! :1prop:

Hi Ceph,

I was waiting to see a cross section of responses so as to be fair, however I do recall when Craig Johnson (ex Liverpool) lined up 5 rugby balls side by side, and proceeded to kick everyone between the rugby posts from the intersection of the 22 mtr and the sideline. Find a rugby player that could come close to emulate that talent - I think you would be hard pressed!!!

Now, for the stars:- Pele, Maradonna, Ronaldino, Beckam, Johnny Warren - I'm certain other Raiders could multiply this list by 10 fold. Many more local names I could mention and the games I enjoyed watching both in the St George and Sutherland Shires. I had the pleasure of meeting the St George players when I worked at St George Budapest Soccer Club, also have a book that was signed for me by the Late Great Johnny Warren.

Where are the stand out names of the world from other codes??? Sure we know our local heros, and enjoy watching them go round every week.

Apples and oranges - I don't agree - we are talking ball sports and the skills involved, and aquired to achieve world levels. Other codes it is mostly strength that achieves dominance, undoubtably there are some skills involved - take the scrum for instance - grown men sticking their heads next to others rear ends - I guess that's pretty skillful, oh and then there's Hopowate, took a lot of years and practice to get that finger just right - and his aim was like a dart - always hit the bullseye!!!

Carry on a bit - I must agree, but it is pretty well evident in most sports since the advent of television and World Championship Wrestling (something that league has adopted also)

Gaelic football - say no more, fun to watch but must question the skill levels there also.

All ball sports require athletisism, courage, determination and fitness - soccer also has finess and overwhelming talent. Those without these attributes play other codes.

Round 2 is on!!!!! :wacko:

Come one Mariner.. where are your clever responses?

I must say, I agree with Ray R. They do carry on when there is an imaginary injury! :1prop:

The fake injuries and diving is about getting an advantage for your team by trying to fool the referee. I can't stand it but don't for a minute think it is only in football that this occurs.

On Friday night, when the league is on, watch how many times a player tries to milk a penalty. Jarryd Hayne is prime example (and that's coming from a Parra fan). How many times do you see a league player diving after trying to get up so he can get the penalty.

Unfortunately its part of modern sport, but its still cheating to me.

Y is soccer the best game???

where do we start??

ill give u a little example...

my brother is a coach of under 7's soccer team.. at the end of the game the losing team all give 3 cheers 4 the winners. nobody hangs their heads in shame.. and the coaches give each child more confidence and support, they way they should..

i went 2 a freinds under7 rugby league grand final in which he is the coach..

at half time they were losing.. they entrie break the coach was screaming and yelling at the kids like they were in the army...

the entire game parents were on the sidelines with fags hanging outta there mouths. yelling taunts like "SMASH HIM" "GET HIM DOWN"

then 2 top it all off where do the kids go 2 celebrate getting into the grand final???

the local pub so all the adults can get plastered and continue smoking..

i mean with this type of behaviour its no wonder we have players in our league like GREG BIRD, TODD CARNEY. and many more which im sure u all know...

now i have a 6yr old daughter and i definately know who i would rather be telling her are my fave super stars...

these players learn this behaviour in junior ranks.. and basically its ridiculous and maye about time some thingis done about it..

im glad the NRL is sliding out of this country..

even thou i have been a rugby league fan all my life....

its time 4 the world game.......

not a cross breed game that turns our friends into enemies.

but union is the standout that seems to be the best to watch and play as well as referee because the laws make sense

Josh

your kidding union is one of the most hardest games to understand... most of the players dont even understand whats going on with all the penatlies :1prop:

however I do recall when Craig Johnson (ex Liverpool) lined up 5 rugby balls side by side, and proceeded to kick everyone between the rugby posts from the intersection of the 22 mtr and the sideline. Find a rugby player that could come close to emulate that talent - I think you would be hard pressed!!!

Well thats because soccer revolves around kicking a ball accurately so thats obviously what they practise all the time and it comes more naturally to them. A rugby player has to practise much more aspects as kicking is only a small part of the game which makes that guy look good and it is, as a rugby kicker i know that isn't an easy kick.

Just thought i'd throw this in there, doesn't prove much but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMeF2vSug30&NR=1

The fake injuries and diving is about getting an advantage for your team by trying to fool the referee. I can't stand it but don't for a minute think it is only in football that this occurs.

That fake diving cost Australia a chance at the world cup thanks to those cheating italians and idiotic referees.

Soccer referees are stupid as are the rules.

A lot of league rules are pretty crap which makes it hard for the refs but they still aren't as dumb as soccer refs and don't blow penalties for things that have no effect on the game or are obviously being milked.

You dont see any milking or diving in union because it has good rules that you can hardly gain any advantage by cheating. Thats why union is the superior game.

i really don't understand how people can say that the higher skill level needed for either soccer or rugby can't be discerned because they both require different skills..

i don't think i'm dogmatic in saying that soccer easily requires a higher level of skill to play it successfully at the highest level

WATCH THIS VID..

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=snj10Ut_OE4

you'll be amazed.

Edited by sherackattack

A lot of league rules are pretty crap which makes it hard for the refs but they still aren't as dumb as soccer refs and don't blow penalties for things that have no effect on the game or are obviously being milked.

You dont see any milking or diving in union because it has good rules that you can hardly gain any advantage by cheating. Thats why union is the superior game.

League rules...Hmmmm..a try used to be 3 points - they changed the rules to make it 4 points

40 - 20 kick...that's a new one also

put the ball in the second row...new rule too I think

goal line drop-out goes into touch after bouncing in the field of play - kicking team gets the put in...new one too?

ball goes dead in goal - attacking team to get the ball on the defending 22 mtr line....new rule to come

sin bin...new rule

blood bin....new rule

ball stealing...new rule

change-over on 6th tackle...new rule

12 replacements....new rule

spear tackle....new rule

on report......new rule

video referee......new rule

tackle a player mid air.....new rule

I'm sure there are more???? :wacko:

Union

take the ball back into the 22 mtr, kick out on the full.....different rule for different parts of the world

amateur to proffessional.....new rule

I love watching union but not familiar with all the rule changes - help me out Raiders, I'm sure there are more.

So, union and league over the decades, and still in the present era continue to change the rules - why???? Because they never got it right in the first place and still can't decide how to make the game workable and appealing to the public.

Their ball isn't even a ball - it's a ovoid!!!

How many rules have they changed in soccer???? :tease:

Edited by Mariner 31

if it aint broke dont fix it...

isnt that the old saying???

they have been playing soccer over 200 years..

they had the rules sorted a long time ago..

i was also once told... u cant improve on perfect???

hahaha

Soccer was good 20 years ago........too many fake falls and cheaky penalties these days. They let them get away with it for too long, if i want to watch people pretend to get injured ill watch the WWF

Union

take the ball back into the 22 mtr, kick out on the full.....different rule for different parts of the world

I love watching union but not familiar with all the rule changes - help me out Raiders, I'm sure there are more.

So, union and league over the decades, and still in the present era continue to change the rules - why???? Because they never got it right in the first place and still can't decide how to make the game workable and appealing to the public.

I agree that the league rules are crap but union the rules are being changed as the way the game being played changes over time to make it a better game. E.g. the modern day athlete is fitter and stronger so can endure more and perform at their peaks for longer, that is why they change rules such as passing back into the 22 and kicking out on the full to be not allowed under the ELV's. Most of Australia will be playing the ELV's (experimental law variations) to some extent from next year onwards as will many parts of the world although the northern hemisphere won't be cooperating.

I'm a union referee so i'll pm you answers to any law queries you may have mariner.

Cheers

Josh

You really cant measure up soccer with codes of footy like league and union cause they require complete different skills...

soccerplayers are skilled at soccer

league players are skilled at league.

you cant measure up players. For example andrew johns and david beckham because their in a different sports..

sure beckham and curve the sh*t out of a soccerball but can he throw a pass for someone into a gap or change the game with a line break like joey did? ..vise versa

joey would be crap at soccer and beckham would be crap at league

I remember when the goal keeper couldnt run more than 4 steps with the ball in hand,

he used to have to roll it or dribble it to the edge of the penalty box before he could

kick it.

I also remember when a team was only allowed one sub.

I like playing soccer, but prefer to watch union and league.

Each to their own.

penguin

When i think about it you cant really compare it at all betweeen league and soccer or union and soccer. BUT you can compare league and union hahaha

where league is more skillful because union has players like berrick barnes who couldnt even get a start in the broncos nrl team( even when players like darren lockyer where injured) and know hes starting in the australian team. same as ryan cross (off the top of my head) i dont think he represented australia in league..

see how this ones goes.. ha :tease:

When i think about it you cant really compare it at all betweeen league and soccer or union and soccer. BUT you can compare league and union hahaha

where league is more skillful because union has players like berrick barnes who couldnt even get a start in the broncos nrl team( even when players like darren lockyer where injured) and know hes starting in the australian team. same as ryan cross (off the top of my head) i dont think he represented australia in league..

see how this ones goes.. ha :tease:

Yeh maybe because Berrick was 15, 16 years old when at the broncos, not many kids get first grade starts at that age. League is a better game than soccer but its diminishing due to financial woes and the worsening quality of the game through teams like melbourne bringing in wrestling crap and idiotic selectors and people in charge making stupid rules. Serious changes need to be made in league in order for it to survive but nobody seems to be doing anything about it....

And if you hadn't noticed the Wallabies are doing pretty well with players like Berrick Barnes and Ryan Cross, they've won 6 out the last 7 games and look in good shape to take out the tri-nations. That is more league selectors not opening their eyes to the quality in front of them as well as not developing and keeping valuable players in the game.

Again you can't really compare skills because of the different rules and jobs of players in certain positions.

It would be good to see a league vs union team with say each set of rules per half.

Yeh maybe because Berrick was 15, 16 years old when at the broncos, not many kids get first grade starts at that age. League is a better game than soccer but its diminishing due to financial woes and the worsening quality of the game through teams like melbourne bringing in wrestling crap and idiotic selectors and people in charge making stupid rules. Serious changes need to be made in league in order for it to survive but nobody seems to be doing anything about it....

And if you hadn't noticed the Wallabies are doing pretty well with players like Berrick Barnes and Ryan Cross, they've won 6 out the last 7 games and look in good shape to take out the tri-nations. That is more league selectors not opening their eyes to the quality in front of them as well as not developing and keeping valuable players in the game.

Again you can't really compare skills because of the different rules and jobs of players in certain positions.

It would be good to see a league vs union team with say each set of rules per half.

i believe you can compare league and union because the only main difference is the two extra man on the field and the scoring.

dont get me wrong i love to watch union but i that union is becoming a much easyer game to play at the top level of it. berrick barnes was older then that because he was actually playing nrl where as he would of been playing in the lower grades if he was 16 or 17.

apart from the wrestling thats coming into the game by melbourne i actually think its become a much better game. with the defence structures getting better its forcing the attacking teams to look at better plays and options to be able to score. where melbourne are clearly out ahead of aswell.

on another note how do people think sonny bill will go at union?

i reckon he'll be a waste and im glad hes goone he wasnt that good of a player any way.

what are others thoughts?

teams like melbourne bringing in wrestling crap and idiotic selectors and people in charge making stupid rules. Serious changes need to be made in league in order for it to survive but nobody seems to be doing anything about it....

how is wrestling crap? Its the main way melbourne have stayed the strongest team in the NRL.. because teams dont know how to deal with it.. Teams then found out how to use it in tackles.. so melbourne came up with a new way (the chicken wing) and its still working

who are the idiotic selectors?

what changes need to made? The only problem with the game is money. There isnt much you can do about money in their case without getting people up in arms