One Dead Off Jibbon

casper

Killed by a wave: hunt for mystery man

From The S.M.H.

Police are calling on a mystery man to come forward after he yesterday saw a fatal boating incident occur on the south Sydney coast.

A 52-year-old man was killed and his companion injured when a wave hit their 5.5m runabout near the Jibbon bombora entrance to Port Hacking about 1.30pm.

Police believe the witness saw the two men thrown into the surf as the boat flipped over and ran down from Port Hacking Point to make an emergency call from a vessel moored on the beach.

As a result of the call authorities were able to send out a rescue helicopter as well as police, Maritime and Surf Lifesaving vessels to retrieve the two men.

Police said a 52-year-old from Green Valley was already dead when his body was pulled from the water.

But another man, also aged in his 50s, was rescued alive and taken to Sutherland Hospital, where he was treated for hypothermia and remains in a stable condition.

Police today called on the man who witnessed the incident and sent out the call for help to make contact and help with their investigations.

Anyone with information about the incident should call Botany Bay Water Police on 8566 7568 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A bombora is a submerged reef of rocks that causes a wave out to sea and the one at Jibbon is a popular fishing spot, but marked as dangerous on NSW Maritime's chart for the Port Hacking area.

As a result of the accident last week Police were out pn Saturday at the mouth of the Hacking checking boat rego/licences and safety gear.

Although they only took the rego details of the boat next to us (Weekend crusier with an older gent and his two ladies) they certaily went through us with a fine tooth comb!

Casper

Edited by casper

Yeah they went through me as well. Every little detail. They will probably get bored again in a couple of weeks. I have been inspected many times before and never had a problem but this time (fishing in 12 foot of water INSIDE THE HEADS, OFF JIBBON BEACH) they asked me for a V Sheet as the water i was fishing was classified as offshore waters. What a joke!!!!!! To be honest i have never been asked for a V Sheet before and didnt even know i needed one. Do you guys carry a v sheet?

... never had a problem but this time (fishing in 12 foot of water INSIDE THE HEADS, OFF JIBBON BEACH) they asked me for a V Sheet as the water i was fishing was classified as offshore waters. What a joke!!!!!!

Not having a go ... but I have to disagree with you there...

at the end of the day, it's the skipper's responsibility to be aware of the waters that they're in, classifications of 'open waters' are clearly marked on all the maps available from maritime. There are many inshore areas classified as open waters where a v-sheet, and in theory, wearing lifejackets are compulsory...

In your best interest, most importantly from a safety perspective, but also a compliance point of view that you're aware of these... you don;t want to become another statistic..

I dream about getting to use one on the big sandy beach of the deserted island when I get softly washed up on it's shore. Maybe a blow up one that floats might be a better idea. If I'm going overboard I'll be picking a lot of other things before I make an effort to check that I have got the Vsheet.

Never forget going into Botany Bay - first time I had ever used my boat in the bay- and we were just off Towra, when the pipe from the petrol to the engine split....

Anyway, that meant long swim or call for a tow... so we called the water police to tow us in (didn't know what else to do and it was to cold to swim it back in like we did in the harbour one time - thats another story) anyway we had it planned that we would be back hopefully almost home by dark, by the time the water police came to help us (3 hours later - still snagged quite a few flatties on the drift to whereever we ended up) the pull up next to the boat, and tow us back.. we get to the ramp and before they let us go do a check...

No lights (at all) - like I said had no intentions of being on the water in the dark.

No radio

No this no that...

And to top it off I left one of me life jackets in the car!! Stupid I know... so anyway they go, by all rights we should take the boat off you and you should lose your licence...

Then I started the whole sob story of what was meant to be a good DAY out not a NIGHT, and they let us off...

They said that the fine should have been well over $5k for the lack of gear etc... we got off with a free tow and have a nice night...

Cheers

Ben

Not having a go ... but I have to disagree with you there...

at the end of the day, it's the skipper's responsibility to be aware of the waters that they're in, classifications of 'open waters' are clearly marked on all the maps available from maritime. There are many inshore areas classified as open waters where a v-sheet, and in theory, wearing lifejackets are compulsory...

In your best interest, most importantly from a safety perspective, but also a compliance point of view that you're aware of these... you don;t want to become another statistic..

No thats fine no offence taken! I just dont see how i am offshore when i am 20m from a beach inside the Hacking in water that i could almost stand up in. I really have no objection in buying a v sheet but i have been checked many many times before and never had a problem. I have been in other peoples boats on Browns when we have been checked and they didnt ask for a v sheet out there. I think these guys had a chip on their shoulder and maybe they didnt like the name of my boat!