Rolling Reds

GregL

"Bream? Who would want to fish for bream when you can catch reds like this?"

This was said threw out our short stint in a undisclosed North Coast town.

What a trip, short and sweet with 2 guys I must say a huge thanks to, Gus and Evan.

The things I learnt in 3 short sessions out seaching for snapper was amazing and the resaults showed.

We left early hours of the morning to arrive at day break at the ramp. With a light 10kn breeze coming in from the south conditions seems great. Searching around some reefs with the sounder and finding the right looking country we set up our drifts.

Cast well forward of the drifting boat we stayed in contact of our 1/2-5/8ths jig heads as they sank to the bottom. A procession of bakers and pots came to the boat. With a few local boats fishing the same reef and not seeing them pull any good fish either, we moved on after a good hour. Driving further north looking for our own reef to fish we came across an intersting ledge that raised a couple of metres.

Again casting as far as possible from the boat my lure did it's usual sink to the bottom but this time it never made it! With a hit that almost pulled my rod out of my unsuspecting hand, my Branzino rod buckles over and the drag starts screaming. Big bumping head shakes rattle up the line, my knees start to shake.....

With some encouragement from the others I settle in and work the fish up, looking into the water beautiful crimson and neon blue materialize out of the depths and I was rewarded with my first of many for the trip.

post-3563-1220195567_thumb.jpg

5 inch Jerk Shads and 4 inch Pogys we the lure of choice. Fluro colours dominated over naturals while fishing deeper waters but Punkin seed got it's share in the shallow grounds. Drop offs seemed the best in close and harder reef out wide.

Whales did some one say whales? The amount of whales we saw was amazing! Everywhere east you looked you could always see at least 2 pods working. At one stage we had 2 smaller ones basking in the sun 20-30m from us. The whale calls could be felt threw the boat hull. I would have thought the noise would have turned the fish off, then Evan hooks a monster!

post-3563-1220196992_thumb.jpg

Fishing with 2 blokes in a 5m boat theres always going to be the usual ribbing, these guys are the masters of slinging shit on each other! Many times my sides hurt from laughing so much. I aways said when ya having fun on the boat the fish will come. Heres one Gus got.

post-3563-1220197176_thumb.jpg

Stats, 28 legal fish over 3 sessions with an averge of 2.5-3kgs with the largest going 14.5lb on the Bogas.

6 excellent smokings and one was lost at the boat that was definatly larger than Evans! It was acually the fish before he landed the biggy......

One of the smoking was in shallow water, I have never seen a snapper take drag so fast even when we were chasing it with the petrol motor! Bloody incredible!!

One more pic, great fish and great times!

post-3563-1220197560_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Evan and Clay, we'll do it again soon boys and this time lets find a motel higher than 1/2 a star!

Cheers

Greg

Thanks guys, it was a day to remember for sure.

React, Evan took me over to Scottys for a chat on the way home, those two out on the boat together could only mean fun! both had me in stitches over a couple of scotches and gee he reminds me of Tim Bailey! LOL

This sort of thing just makes me want to change my boat over even faster for an ocean going vessel. :(

Nice report Greg, fantastic looking snapper mate. Trips like that are priceless with good mates making things so much more memorable besides the great fish. Well done! :thumbup:

Great report and fantastic fish... the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Ummmm, do you fish with your clothes on? .........hhhhmmmm, starting to work out why no one wants to fish with me! :biggrin2:

Thanks guys, it was a day to remember for sure.

React, Evan took me over to Scottys for a chat on the way home, those two out on the boat together could only mean fun! both had me in stitches over a couple of scotches and gee he reminds me of Tim Bailey! LOL

This sort of thing just makes me want to change my boat over even faster for an ocean going vessel. :(

hahahaa... everytime i go out i need to take a pair of spare undies coz i piss my self laughing!

Scotty is Tim baileys brother haha :)

im going out with scotty on the 12 of sept...

The area we fished is not important. We even said on the drive back that we most probably won't return back to the same place on the next visit. There is just to much area to fish up there. We had plans on fishing North one sesh, south the second and which ever fired the best on the third.

Went north and kept going north for the 3 sessions.

Every reef we hit we got at least 1 legal snapper.

Why I didn't mention the area we fish is I was invited as a guest and there fore I will respect there wishes on not telling the world where we were.

The structure was nothing special at all! I have seen better bottom structure and showing of fish on the sounder at places like Broughton and long reef.

We never sounded over an area we intended to fish......

Remember your fishing in pretty shallow water, motor just spooks all the fish in the area.

We would do it with our first drift or previous drift information stored on the plotter.

None of us had even visited the area before, it was a more hit or miss. It was nominated as the destination from looking in places like sea charts, google earth and internet fishing reports.

Locals that we saw at the ramp were doing it very tuff but none of them were throwing plastics.

1 point I will give you, see fish traps would should be in pretty good country.....

Greg

nice stuff mate! what aprox depth did you pull them from?

Hi Frangkie

In between washes-35m. Both shallow and deep held big fish. Another thing I noticed, the calmer it got the deeper the bite came from.

Greg