Fish Id + Cooking, Storing, Freezing Info Etc.

Tackle Junkie

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a new boat with the intention off now heading offshore every now and then. In the past I have only ever taken just enough fish for dinner that night and release everything else.

As heading outside opens up some more potential species etc, I was wondering does any body know of a good book, that lists species + table quality + whether flesh can be frozen etc.

I plan still to only keep what I require for the immediate use, but if i get lucky - I don't want to throw back something that I regret and conversely I don't want to keep something and then waste it.

I pick up my new boat on Friday and anticipation is a wonderful thing.

Cheers

Josh

P.S I hope this is the correct section to add this topic.

If I would give you one tip for freezing fish it would be get a vaccum sealer. The condition the fish comes out of the freezer is fantastic. I had some mahi mahi which had been in the freezer for over 3 months the other day. The flesh was still firm and tasted fantastic. This is from a fish that is not even supposed to freeze well. Good preparation is also important. Bleed immediately, keep cool. Don't rinse flesh in fresh water. You get to eat quality fish and squid 12 months of the year without having to go out on those freezing winter days! Bring on summer!

I agree with lighthouse2k. You can pick up a Vac Pak pretty cheap now, not only do they work well in the freezer you will be able to stretch the life in the fridge as well. Dry fillet the fish so that no moisture can be absorbed into the flesh, will turn it mushy and will leak out when you come to cook it at a later date. I would say that 3 or 4 months would be the limit for keeping it in the freezer. Any longer and you will notice the difference,..... plus you wouldn't want to go that long without fishing would you???

cheers

alasdair :1fishing1:

• 5 years later...