Braid

LUKEC

Hi Gents

Looking at re spooling my 2500 size reels with some new braid.

I am looking at 6lb and 10lb Braid.

I have used Berkley fireline, whiplash and Fins and want to try something else.

Purpose is for flatties, bass as well as snapper etc....

(Some may say 2500 is a little small for snapper and deeper water but at present i am quite happy to stick withem)

Looking for a fluro coloured braid.

Also interested in any brands in this line class that are multi couloured like the jigging braid.

(I am prepared to order from OS)

Anyone had any experience with the Palatypus sinking Braid?

Cheers

Luke

Hi Gents

Looking at re spooling my 2500 size reels with some new braid.

I am looking at 6lb and 10lb Braid.

I have used Berkley fireline, whiplash and Fins and want to try something else.

Purpose is for flatties, bass as well as snapper etc....

(Some may say 2500 is a little small for snapper and deeper water but at present i am quite happy to stick withem)

Looking for a fluro coloured braid.

Also interested in any brands in this line class that are multi couloured like the jigging braid.

(I am prepared to order from OS)

Anyone had any experience with the Palatypus sinking Braid?

Cheers

Luke

I've only used FINS and TUF XP .. havent had any major issues with either

In the lighter braids (sub 20lb), I have terrible trouble with tip wrapping with the PE (supple) type braids. For some reason, I always manage to get the line tangled around the tip of the rod. It is bloody annoying and it is only a matter of time before something smashes my lure whilst the line is tangled and the tip gets snapped.

Anyway, enough whingeing, I love the Fireline because it is a little stiffer than the normal PE and this improves is ability to clear the tip nicely.

ceph...i used to experuence the same thing and thought it was the braid. its not.

its due to the braid to leader knot hitting the tip causing the line to quickly wrap itself at the top. i find uni-uni or surgeon knot the worse. otherwise try the albright or slim beauty

i've since stop winding before the knot reaches the tip, never had it wrapped around the tip again

give that a go before trying to experiment with other brands

Hi Luke,

I use Platypus braid almost exclusively (and in case you haven't read it in one of my posts before... the company I work for does some business with Platypus). While my opinion is biased, anyone who knows me also knows that I wouldn't use it if it didn't perform, regardless of what our company does.

In the lighter BS I use Platypus Super Braid or Sinking Braid and then for the heavier BS (20lb+) I either use Bionic Braid or Platypus Jigging Braid.

I like their Sinking Braid but it handles differently to the Super Braid. I got to field test samples pre and post production and it has a slightly rougher texture than Super Braid. It incorporates the PE with some denser fibres that help it to sink (PE floats). It seems to sacrifice maybe 5% of casting distance because of the texture but the sinking is great in some circumstances

The sinking feature isn't dramatic but it helps get lures down faster when using light lures or jig heads or when fishing in deeper water. I've found I usually can get away with one size smaller jig heads using Sinking Braid. I also like it for squidding as the jigs sink better.

The other difference I've found is that when plasticing, the line tends to have less of a belly in it so it's easier to stay in touch with the lure.

If you want an all around braid that might be used for lots of different applications (eg. sometimes soft platics, sometimes casting metal slugs, etc), Super Braid would be my preference. If you'll only use if for plastics fishing, Sinking Braid is great.

Cheers Slinky

I use 4lb pink fireline on my 1000 and 6lb bright green Sunline PE on my 2500.

Have found the firleline, being stiffer, to cause less wrapping and wind knots. However the Sunline being a soft, round and very thin braid casts further and in my opinion is more sensitive.

I think the 4lb fireline breaks closer to 8lb where as the Sunline PE 6lb actually breaks at 6lb. So it's a true test of the line rating and your fishing.

Heavier braid i go with bright yellow flat braid Platil (or Tuf XP) as i feel it's a bit tougher than the Sunline as it's a little thicker for it's lb rating and breaks a little higher than stated.

In the end if I was you I would have one spool of 6lb Sunline PE for the flatties and the other spool 10lb Platil for the Snapper.

With tip wrapping hottscotty - I need to wind the knot through the guides as i use a long leader. No problems up to 8lb leader but recently I was up north QLD and was using 14lb leader with 8lb Sunline and found that the joiner knot ( no matter which one i used) was catching on the guides. The difference in thickness between the flurocarbon leader and the braid (because Sunline is so damn thin) was just too much.

Hi LUKEC,

I know of and use a braid that meets your requirements. I don't think it's available in Aust, I got it in Hong Kong. YGK Admix slow sinking PE. It's a uniform Hi-vis green with about 2" of white (correction: BLUE) every metre, a perfect strike indicator for plastics, esp. good for snapper & slack line applications. Highly recommended.

Jig

Edited by Jigholio

Thanks for the info all.

Definately gave me some pointers to look out for.

I think i may start with the Platypus sinking braid and do some comparisons based on Availability, Price and diameter.

(Little Anal i know but i am spooling 6 spools)

Cheers

Luke

I use TUF XP. Very happy with the performance.

Recently imported 3000 mt to be split up between a group of friends & my self.

Landed cost , inc freight worked out around A$10.00 / 100 mt. This is around half the price for the same product in Oz

Geoff

I now use unitika PE braid and it is simply awesome stuff

it is very fine 0.09mm for the 12lb saltwater stuff which is finer than any fireline and much smoother.

yes it is more prone to windy's and snagging on guides but the positives definitely outway the negatives.

i have also used sunline super PE which is very similar, just the colour is a bit too leary

cheers

bm

ceph...i used to experuence the same thing and thought it was the braid. its not.

its due to the braid to leader knot hitting the tip causing the line to quickly wrap itself at the top. i find uni-uni or surgeon knot the worse. otherwise try the albright or slim beauty

i've since stop winding before the knot reaches the tip, never had it wrapped around the tip again

give that a go before trying to experiment with other brands

Thanks HottyScotty but, it happens when the line is out and no knots in sight. I think it is my jigging action, Too much slack line hanging around the tip after a jigging sequence.

It is a massive pain in the esra.... wil lhave to work on my technique!

HI Luke,

In reply to your question regarding Plartypus sinking braid.

Firstly i will say that I am sponsored by Platypus, I am not plugging one of my sponsores but simply answering a members questions.

I have been using Platypus super braid for a number of years now and was lucky enough to be trialing the 2lb gear long before it came out on the market. In regards to the Platypus sinking braid, I personally love the stuff. I have 5 reels spooled with it that I use nearly every outing and most of my breaming and native reels if not on main spool always have it on a spare spool. I have had great success using it on the deeper rockawalls and reefs in the Hawksburry and other systems. for breaming i am using it on 1-3kg rods and it has added to the deep water sensitivity immensly.

So far I am yet to have any issues with line fluffiing, wind knots, etc and those who know me would know that i love to absoloutly thrash my gear when testing it out. I have thrashed this line to and past its limits and it still holds up.

The bright red colour makes it easily visable and when under water starts to fade away.

feel fre to ask any other questions and i will be happy to answer them the best i can

thanks,

Mitch

HI Luke,

In reply to your question regarding Plartypus sinking braid.

Firstly i will say that I am sponsored by Platypus, I am not plugging one of my sponsores but simply answering a members questions.

I have been using Platypus super braid for a number of years now and was lucky enough to be trialing the 2lb gear long before it came out on the market. In regards to the Platypus sinking braid, I personally love the stuff. I have 5 reels spooled with it that I use nearly every outing and most of my breaming and native reels if not on main spool always have it on a spare spool. I have had great success using it on the deeper rockawalls and reefs in the Hawksburry and other systems. for breaming i am using it on 1-3kg rods and it has added to the deep water sensitivity immensly.

So far I am yet to have any issues with line fluffiing, wind knots, etc and those who know me would know that i love to absoloutly thrash my gear when testing it out. I have thrashed this line to and past its limits and it still holds up.

The bright red colour makes it easily visable and when under water starts to fade away.

feel fre to ask any other questions and i will be happy to answer them the best i can

thanks,

Mitch

Cheers, will do.

Been looking and i think i will pick it up this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Got a variety of braid:

• Fireline
  • Fins
  • Tufline
  • Daiwa Sensor Braid
  • Platypus Super Braid
  • Sunline
  • Platil

Would have to say that Fins and Daiwa are my favourites with fireline good in lower line classes and i'd have to say sunline is the worst, and don't like how much tufline and platil and partially platypus fray around knots.

Josh

Edited by Josh88