A Challenge For Tackle Rats...

Here is a challenge which should keep all you tackle rats (and those who want to give their two cents worth) busy for the remainder of this Wintery spring weekend.

The new boat is on its way, I have all the hardware covered (Rods, Reels, Outriggers, Downrigger, Gimbals, Harness etc. etc.) and am now focussing on stocking up on lures, leaders, terminals etc.

The challenge is:- With a budget of $1500.00, what would be on your “must have” shopping list if you were to be given the task of stocking a boat from scratch for in and off shore game fishing (8,10,15,25 kg). I want to focus on livebaiting but will need to cover those days where the fish are not cooperative?

We have all been in the situation where you rock up to your favourite tackle shop, thinking you know what you require, only to walk out either with way more than you will ever reasonably use (check out the classified section) or having forgot a few of the more essential items.

I don’t want to go overboard but am mindful that I will need a decent assortment of lures (pushers, jet heads, divers, bibbed, bibles etc), leaders, terminals (crimps, sleeves, snaps, hooks etc).

I am looking forward to the various ideas everyone has on what is considered to be a “must have” item, and expect there will be considerable debate and most likely some conjecture.

Oh, most of my fishing will be done offshore of Sydney and the South Coast (JB)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

PS… Anyone know where I can buy some cheap shares in an oil company 

mate to start off with go and het your self a set of jet heads in a range of colours as you will pick up anything from salmon,kingfish,bonito,dolphin fish,and even striped tuna e.t.c. then you will nedd some decent livebait hooks prob something like owner offshore livebait they will work from downrigging for kings all the way to cubing for tuna. Agood crimp set with crimps leader beads for rigging lures and line gaurds will set u back about $150 obviously you will need a few wind on leaders and some good snap swivels(japsnap or black pete will do) once you catch a few fish then you will be able to expand yopu lure collection if you wanna talk any more about this pm me and i will let you know

cheers

ben moses

mate just a couple of pics of a small collection of skirts and some bibless lures note the bluewater classics they r high speed and effective on most pelagics. You must keep in mind that most good pusshers will set you back around 80-100 dollars each but they will make a difference as the skirt is tougher and will las alot longer providing you look after them.

post-6445-1220750300_thumb.jpg

post-6445-1220750315_thumb.jpg

I would say items like pliers, line cutters, gaffs, bait needle, lure bags, rubber bands, dacron, then a decent set of lures in various colours (I like the JB range of lures but my first marlin was on a $5.00 ebay skirt) hooks, crimps, leader, storage, storage, storage.

Cheers Boys,

You are taking the pain out of the decision making process. I'm not a game fishing virgin, having cut my teeth on Marlin and Tuna in PNG but up their you could tow a condom and catch fish.

Seems their is a lot more finesse involved down here.

By the way.. If anyone needs an experienced decky to fill a spot in the next few weeks, let me know. As long as you don't mind a thousand questions coming your way. Got to learn somehow.

• 1 month later...

I would say items like pliers, line cutters, gaffs, bait needle, lure bags, rubber bands, dacron, then a decent set of lures in various colours (I like the JB range of lures but my first marlin was on a $5.00 ebay skirt) hooks, crimps, leader, storage, storage, storage.

some of the cheap ebay skirts can deffinately raise fish though the hooks and set up usually let you down, change the leader and hooks with good quality items and bobs ya uncle...

Though nothing beats quallity gear.