Crab Pots..whats The Best Ones & Type

roosterman

Hi Guys,

i am gonna start dropping a crab pot off when i go out in the boat and was wondering what ones do raiders consider the best...

money not the deciding factor either (within reason)....

i have used witches hats lots but are too bulky and time left in water is issue anyway...

i am looking towards a cage type that hopefully folds up but may just sit it on bow tied down so with all the ones ive seen when out an about nows the time to decide..

hopefully i can learn the pitfalls and bad decisions from others experiences of traps so i can hopefully get the best trap i can...

round/square/rigid/foldable/witches hats :tease: too many options..... help my sanity guys :biggrinthumb: cheers...steve......

Edited by roosterman

I'm a big fan of witches hats. With a decent guage mesh you rarely have blue swimmers rip out of them regardless of how long they are out. You get to put out five/person. They grab crabs very easily.

On the down side. The basic ones you buy nowdays are made from too small a guage ring. They flip over easily in the tide and will sometimes drift quite a distance. (unfortunately I had my heavy ones pinched last year) When you use them in heavy weed areas crabs can get to the bait from the bottom and not go near the net. Mud crabs destroy them.

A trap on the other hand means you can only put one out but they are well suited to mangroves and gives you a better chance of landing muddies. Lets face it if you are going crabbing two or three muddies beats ten blue swimmers anytime. Traps arent perfect for blue swimmers. I have seen a trap pulled up with one in it whilst the witches hats on either side with identical bait have held three each.

Five witches hats rolled up neatly will take up roughly the same amount of boat space as a trap.

For what its worth I havent owned a trap for years but have my witches hats out all summer.

DAVE

hi dave,

i know what you mean about the w/h being better as ive used a home made rio/chook mesh ones alongside w/h for similar and as you say the muddies used to rip the w/h netting ands used to s#%t me fixing all the time...

i still have 5 w/h in the garage but at about 10yrs old and not used for a few years the netting is not up to it anymore..

thats why im asking here on what to upgrade to...i will be keeping the hoops/floats and ropes and even considered rebuilding the netting but dont have the time for that and cost of new not worth the effort..if i go down the w/h rout again i may tie the old hoops onto new ones for added stability,thanks for the heads up... exactly the stuff im looking for...congrats on the 1000 posts also......

cheers...steve.....

Edited by roosterman

From my experience it comes down to whether you are out crabbing, or fishing. Witches hats are great if you are going to frequently check them. I use a dilly net and a fast retrieve. We set a "string" and return back to the first net to check after the last net is set. Basically when the crab is having a feed and is on the tray, a quick retrieve will have you bring the net to the surface before the crab knows what is going on. As he is too busy having a chew on the bait to think about escaping.

If I am going fishing, then a trap is the go. Set it and leave it. Check it and retrieve it on the way home.

Due to the corrosive effect of seawater on steel and other metals, anti-corrosion ANODES are often attached to traps and pots to extend their useful life.

Other Saltwater traps and nets

Bait trap

Not more than 1 trap to be used by any person at any one time

Maximum dimensions - 450mm (length) x 350mm (diameter) - entrance funnel no larger than 60mm in diameter

Must have a tag attached clearly showing your name and address (or name and boat registration number)

Crab nets

Hoop or Lift Net (commonly called Witch's Hat):

Not more than 5 nets to be used (or in possession) by any person at any one time.

1 or 2 hoops per net (no rigid frame between them).

Diameter of hoops should be no greater than 1.25 metres.

Mesh size not less than - 13mm.

Drop (length of net) should be no more than 1 metre.

A tag, at least 80mm x 25mm, clearing showing your name and address (or name and registration number of boat being used) must be attached.

Must be dropped and raised vertically through the water by hand.

Must not be used in ocean waters.

Any rock lobsters or fin-fish (which are subject to a size limit) which are caught must be returned to the water.

Spanner crab net:

Not more than 1 spanner crab net can be used by a person at any one time.

Net attached to a rigid frame not exceeding 1.6 metres in length and 1 metre in width.

Net not capable of extending more than 0.1 metre beneath the frame when the frame is suspended in a horizontal position.

Used only as a hand implement and only be the method of lowering the net into the water and then drawing the net vertically to the surface.

Only to be used for taking of spanner crabs.

May only be used in ocean waters north of Korogoro Point (Hat Head).

Crab trap

Not more than 1 trap to be used (or in possession) by any person at any one time.

Maximum dimensions - 1.2 metres (length) x 1 metre (width) x 0.5 metre (depth) or has a diameter not exceeding 1.6 metres at the top or bottom.

Minimum mesh size - 50mm.

No more than 4 entrances (none of which are on the top of the trap).

A buoy with a minimum diameter of 10cm clearly marked "CRAB TRAP" with your name in letters not less than 50mm high must be attached. No rope should float on the surface of the water.

Must not be made of entanglement material.

Must not be set to impede the free passage of fish.

Any fish caught (other than crabs) must be returned to the water.

Crab traps must not be used in inland waters or ocean waters.

Lobster trap

Not more than 1 trap to be used (or in possession) by any person at any time.

The base or floor of the trap may be either rectangular or circular.

Rectangular (not exceeding 1.2 metres by 1.2 metres)

Circular (not exceeding 1.2 metres in diameter).

A buoy with a minimum diameter of 10cm clearly marked "L" with your name in letters not less than 50mm high must be attached. No rope should float on the surface of the water.

Escape gaps are required - either: 1 gap not less than 57mm high X 500mm wide or 2 gaps not less than 57mm high x 250mm wide or 3 gaps not less than 57mm high x 200mm wide so that no part of any escape gap is more than 12cm above the floor of the trap.

Lobster traps must not be used in inland waters or any waters more than 10 metres deep (contour).

Other fish caught in lobster traps must be returned to the water.

Prawn nets

Hand-hauled nets:

Maximum length - 6 metres.

Mesh size between 30mm-36mm.

Must not be staked or set, or joined or placed with any other net.

Must be continuously and manually pulled through the water and not used as a stationary net.

Must not be attached to a hauling line.

Any fish caught which are subject to a size limit must be returned to the water.

Must be registered

Scissors (push) net:

Must be attached to a scissors-type frame

Length of the lead or bottom line between the ends of poles must be no longer than 2.75 metres.

Mesh size - between 30mm-36mm.

Must not be staked or set, or joined or placed with any other net.

Must be continuously and manually propelled and not used as a stationary net.

Must be operated by one person only.

Only one net per person is permitted at any time.

Any fish caught which are subject to a size limit must be returned to the water.

Must be registered

Dip (scoop) net - prawns:

Maximum diameter of hoop or ring - 0.6 metres.

Maximum handle length - 1.2 metres

Minimum mesh size - 20mm.

Drop (length of net) - no more than 1.25 metres.

Must be used by hand and not staked or set.

Must not be joined or placed with any other net.

Only one net per person at any time.

Other fish caught while prawning may be kept, however, where applicable bag and size limits apply.

Registration is not required.

Net Registration

Prawn nets may be registered at NSW DPI Fisheries Offices (other than Head Office) at $23 for the life of the net.

The Net Registration Certificate must be carried when using the net, and shown on demand to a NSW DPI Fisheries Officer.

Note: NSW DPI Fisheries Officers spend much of their time out in the field and office days vary, therefore it is suggested that you telephone in advance to make an appointment

Some more info - check for updates from Kristina Resanceff 8437 4915 or Eric Aubert on 0419 185 375

09 Jan 2004

Please note - This news release has now been archived and may contain outdated information.NSW Fisheries is reminding fishers to do the right thing following a recent spate of crab trapping offences along the State's north coast.

A commercial fisher from Tweed Heads will be prosecuted after being found last week in Cabarita Lake without a valid licence, exceeding the bag limit for mud crabs and using an excessive number of crab traps. NSW Fisheries officers seized his boat and crab traps.

"We are particularly concerned that both recreational and commercial trappers get it right as blue swimmer and mud crabs are now reaching the peak of their season on the north coast," NSW Fisheries Northern Regional Manager, Max Withnell, said.

"We want people to enjoy fishing for these delicacies, but it's important that we all follow the rules to ensure we have a sustainable crab fishery."

Mr Withnell reminds recreational crabbers that they can use one crab trap per person, and up to five hoop or lift nets, of legal size. The buoy attached to a recreational trap must be marked with the words "CRAB TRAP", followed by the name and address of the person setting the trap.

At Lake Macquarie in the Hunter region, however, use of all traps is banned. NSW Fisheries has confiscated more than 190 illegal crab traps since Boxing Day.

"Visitors and residents are reminded that there is a total trap ban for all waters of Lake Macquarie, including all tributaries and creeks flowing into the lake. This ban includes crab traps and 'opera house' style yabby traps," Mr Withnell said.

"Details of trap dimensions, bag and size limits, and closed waters are all available in the new 2003-2004 NSW Fisheries Saltwater Fishing Guide.

"The free guide is available from NSW Fisheries offices, fishing licence agents, like bait and tackle shops, as well as from the NSW Fisheries website at www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au."

Licenced commercial fishers may use crab and/or fish traps to catch mud crabs and blue swimmer crabs respectively, depending on their licence endorsement. Regulations specify the number of commercial traps that may be used and how they are to be marked.

Most importantly, only the owner of a trap should lift or use it. It is an offence for any person to interfere with any set fishing gear.

"Theft of traps and crabs from traps will not be tolerated and offenders may be referred to the police," said Mr Withnell.

Maximum penalties of up to $5,500 apply for interference with crab traps.

Here's a link to the "Crab Cookbook"

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=K8pQ4k...9&ct=result

Hope you find some useful information here.

Cheers

Mariner

thanks for that info Mariner...

its def worth checking fisheries as certain places have closures and making sure that traps are legal.

making sure the traps are ok is another thing as its prob not an offence for shops to sell em but if fishoes use them your in a bit of froth an bubble me thinks....

as for what trap,like mentioned before i think the w/h are the best crab catchers but with min 8 - 10 hrs sitting unchecked there could be big issues with netting so a more robust type trap seems the answer..

does anyone use those round ones with the pvc tubes to fix the 2 rings apart ????

and what square types have guys used effectively...

cheers...steve.....

does anyone use those round ones with the pvc tubes to fix the 2 rings apart ????

cheers...steve.....

G'day Steve,

This is an extract from the above guidlines concerning w/h construction.

Cheers

Carl

G'day Steve,

This is an extract from the above guidlines concerning w/h construction.

Cheers

Carl

hi carl, i was at first thinking the same but my interpritation is that hoop (witches hat style) is whats meant...

heres a pic of types i meant

post-2219-1221103054_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1221105715_thumb.jpg

they are a trap type not hoop ..

the whole thing is rigid but the pvc tubes unlock so as it can fold flat...

ive seen a few different size and versions using this technique...

hope this clears it up...

i may send fisheries an enquiery to be sure,they are everywhere in stores though...

then again it doesnt mean they are ok i suppose...

cheers...steve.....

Edited by roosterman

Hi Steve,

Nice device, I would only be seeking clarification on whether it would be determined as a net or trap.

If it was to be considered as being a trap, then the guidelines prohibit an entrance at the top.

Does interpretation of rigid allow for these collapsable PVC sides? (not permanently rigid)

The other point in question is the mesh size and type - not less than 13mm for w/h and, not less than 50mm and must not be made of entanglement material for a trap.

Could be very confusing and debatable as to what is a entanglement mesh.

I think you would be wise, as you mentioned, to get advice from fisheries.

Good Luck.

Edited by Mariner 31

Hi all,

Just to clarify as it is written in the fine print at the bottom of the closure list. The WHOLE OF BRISBANE WATERS From the southern end of Pearl Beach to Little Box and north all the way up to gosford is a no net or trapping area. The area is full of crabs and if you know were to go you don't need nets anyway Bring on summer and the hand lines.

Nathan

..Just to clarify as it is written in the fine print at the bottom of the closure list. The WHOLE OF BRISBANE WATERS From the southern end of Pearl Beach to Little Box and north all the way up to gosford is a no net or trapping area. The area is full of crabs and if you know were to go you don't need nets anyway Bring on summer and the hand lines.

Nathan

They even say it twice..

"Note: Brisbane Water, and a portion of Broken Bay (enclosed by a line from Little Box Head to Green Point) is permanently closed to the use of all nets and traps (except the dip or scoop net, landing net and bait trap) by virtue of Schedule 2 of the Fisheries NB. Brisbane Water, and a portion of Broken Bay (enclosed by a line from Little Box Head to Green Point) is permanently closed to the use of all nets and traps (except the dip or scoop net, landing net and bait trap) by virtue of Schedule 2 of the Fisheries Management (General) Regulation 2002. Schedule 4 of the Regulation also makes it unlawful to use spears, spear guns or similar devices to take fish from waters of Brisbane Water and that portion of Broken Bay.Management (General) Regulation 2002. Schedule 4 of the Regulation also makes it unlawful to use spears, spear guns or similar devices to take fish from waters of Brisbane Water and that portion of Broken Bay."

I though bait traps were banned too, but appear OK now. Poddie time for a livy or two me thinks :1fishing1: .

Now I just have to find it :mad3: .

post-2219-1221105715_thumb.jpg

they are a trap type

G'Day Steve

I used these traps a lot when I was in QLD. Sadly, although they were great for optimising stowage area, they were very light and would quite often go wandering off with the tide. :ranting2:

Cages soon became my preference over everything else if I was looking for a bonus crab to finish off a fishing session. (as Mariner suggests: Set and Forget). If the outing was purely a crabbing trip, then tangle dillies were definitely our weapon of choice. :thumbup:

Hodgey