Underfloor Esky

Bruce the Postie

G'day All,

I am in the process of converting part of the sub floor cavity in my boat into an underfloor esky.

My plan is to line the existing cavity with foam for insulation , and then glass over the top. My question is will the insulation qualities of surfboard foam be sufficient for this job , or will i have to fork out for a sheet of poly urethane foam from the fibreglass suppliers .

Looking forward to your knowledgable comments !!.

Cheers ,

Bruce :beersmile:

Edited by Bananaphobic

Bruce, It's not the walls that will be the crucial part, it is actually the lid, as this is the part which is most exposed to the sun, so make sure you have adequate thickness there. Also, make fully certain that the foam insulation you use is totally compatible with the resin, as some resins will eat through the foam before curing. Get some advise from a reputable fibreglass supplier so you don't spend time & money on a stuff up.Fibreglass Material Services at Seven Hills are pretty good with help etc. They will at least give you the right drum on which resins/ foam etc will work together, then it's just a matter of sourcing your materials.

Good luck, and a good idea. Just wish I had that much room below my floor for one.

Cheers, Russ.

Thanks for your input fella's,

I'll be looking into the lid situation, maybe 10mm ply glassed to 10mm foam.

Rompa, yes polystyrene foam is a great insulator (and cheap ), but does not get on with polyesther resin at all !!!.

I think i'll go ahead with the surfboard foam as i already have a supply of that and after all this i supposed to be a very low cost project :wife: .

With any luck i will be able to remember to take a few snaps and attempt to post them for all to see.

Cheers,

Thanks for your input fella's,

I'll be looking into the lid situation, maybe 10mm ply glassed to 10mm foam.

Rompa, yes polystyrene foam is a great insulator (and cheap ), but does not get on with polyesther resin at all !!!.

I think i'll go ahead with the surfboard foam as i already have a supply of that and after all this i supposed to be a very low cost project :wife: .

With any luck i will be able to remember to take a few snaps and attempt to post them for all to see.

Cheers,

Bruce, is it an open boat? If so , I'd be looking at a bit thicker than 20mm all up, probably more like 40. Just my opinion, that's all. Don't forget, you're probably going to stand on this lid.

Russ

Edited by Tuffy

Bruce, is it an open boat? If so , I'd be looking at a bit thicker than 20mm all up, probably more like 40. Just my opinion, that's all. Don't forget, you're probably going to stand on this lid.

Russ

G'day Russ,

Nah mate , it's a 1/2 cab, the lid at the moment is 18mm marine ply , this has been plenty strong enough to stand on , even without a layer of glass.

I went out today to take a few pic's , but alas daughter no.1 had used my camera and not recharged it :mad3: so progress has stopped until i can get those photos.

Hope to have it knocked over by Sunday arvo?

Thanks mate,

Bruce.

Managed to pick up some offcuts of polyurethane foam for the right price , so this might work out better than i thought :thumbup: .

Got to work, and cut the foam to fit ,all is good and it is ready to be bogged into place.

Have included some update photos . The pics aren't very exciting yet ,but i hope they are of help to all those interested.

post-5510-1221190281_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1221190329_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1221190369_thumb.jpg

Cheers ,

Bruce

Progressing well.

That looks to be where an underfloor fuel tank would normally be mounted?

How do you store the fuel in your rig?

Further to the concerns on the strength of the lid, I would just glass over your original 18mm marine ply and that should suffice. I would not be concerned about adding any insulation, however if you put insulation between 2 pieces of 6 or 8mm ply and glasses over, it would work very well also.

My only concern with eskies flush mounted on the deck would be it's seal integrity. Murphy's law states that anything spilt on the deck is going to head straight for the esky. You may consider raising it 1 or 2 inches above floor height to prevent any contamination from foreign substances ocurring.

Food for thought.

G'day Mariner,

There is enough room for about 200l + in the cavity,and my fuel tank is 120l, so i'm just using wasted space that i normaly use to store spare rope ,anchor,chain etc.

The floor normaly has carpet,so the minimal spillage that occours on the deck shouldn't effect the contents of the box.

Oh! ,i do like your idea of a ply/foam sandwich for the lid.

Thanks ,

Bruce

Edited by Bananaphobic

G'day Gary,

Not the Craw , The Craw !! .

Nah mate ,no chippy here, just a simple Postie.

And if anybody knows about near enough is good enough , it's us blokes .

Bruce. :beersmile:

Suprisingly, I was once told by a Nth Qld chippy;-

"That it's right or it's wrong, there's nothing in between. Close only counts if you're throwing hand grenades!!"

permision to use this line on my apprentice?

cheers arman

I think he would be very happy indeed for all to adopt his philosophy. He himself, was rough as guts, but he was a perfectionist in everything he attempted. By far the greatest fisherman that I have ever had the pleasure of learning from, allbeit only "bottom bouncing". Even when he slept on the floor of the wheelroom - yes he also has a Masters ticket, he used to wrap the 100lb handline around his toe so as not to miss a fish.

He lived in Townsville and his name is Joe Sikora. Reminds me a lot of the Leyland Brothers - even has the Landrover and his Chippy's trailer is a converted horse float.

No guessing as to why I enlisted his services to be the major contractor when I owner built my house in Townsville.

Sorry to have digressed from the topic, but I thought it was worth mentioning the origin of the quote.

G'day All,

Sorry I took so long to update, but apparently there are other things to do rather than go fishing and play with boats ?.

Anyway ,I have finished the glassing and it's ready to be flowcoated after a light sand and a clean up with acetone. Here's a few pics for those interested.

Cheers ,

post-5510-1221637351_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1221637383_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1221637410_thumb.jpg

P.S . Seems to be working out o.k

Edited by Bananaphobic

G'day All,

Had a quick go at it after work, before i start to unwind after a busy week :beersmile: .

Put on a second coat of flowcoat, and drilled it a new bunghole .

Tomorrow i'll put it all back together , clean up all the crap , fill the esky with ice and refreshments and enjoy a day on the water (fingers crossed ).

Have a good weekend All !

Bruce

post-5510-1221811771_thumb.jpg

post-5510-1221811796_thumb.jpg

I notice two groups of three holes in a triangular pattern. Is the lid going to be hinged, and are they the holes for the hinge? Have you decided on a plan for the lid fabrication?

The bung will drain into the bilge, is that correct. No probs if you're only going to keep "clean" items in the esky. Could be a worry if you will be storing your cleaned fish though - blood and other gunk draining into the bilge.

All in all though looks to be a great effort and display of skill on your part.

I think it would be a good idea to fill it with beer and try it out in the garage lol :tease:

Good excuse to put to the :wife:

Edited by Mariner 31