Breamin' With Blades And Plastics

Hodgey

G'Day all

Pretty blowy out on the water today, but not enough to deter us from trying a few blades and plastics on bream this morning. Headed up a fairly sheltered stretch of the river and started searching a likely looking dropoff from a grassy edge. Probably 6 casts were required before the first breambo put in an appearance. I was using a small Egogear blade and this fish had both trebles embedded firmly in his head.This little bloke was the first victim to fall to my new SOL 2000 :thumbup:

post-3198-1221273405_thumb.jpg

While I am photographing this fish and returning it to the water, Dene had cast his Squidgy Bug beside a half-submerged log. The water erupted and his little bug disappears in a flurry of spray and fins. This bream put up a dogged fight but finally found himself nestled in the enviro net. A very nice specimen at approx 42cm

post-3198-1221273631_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1221273670_thumb.jpg

That's a very nice .... ummmm... golftan you have there Deno! :biggrin2:

The weed beds up this far are covered in a repulsive 'snot' at the moment, and the fish we caught throughout the day were very slippery to handle. We drifted in this same location for a very productive couple of hours, catching fish on both blade and bug.

post-3198-1221273877_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1221273910_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you can see some of the timbered areas in the background of the last photo. Dene was using a weighted bug and letting it fall for a couple of seconds before 'hop-hop-pause' retrieving it back to the boat. I was letting the blades sink to the bottom, (in the deeper, cleaner water) then applying a slow lift for roughly 60cm, ensuring I could feel the vibration of the lure through the rod tip. Most of the bream smashed it on the drop, although I did nail 2 that fell to the blade as it was slow rolled all the way back.

The water in these upper reaches should start to warm up soon. I had a half-hearted attempt with a pencil and managed to coax one enquiry .... surface lure time is fast approaching. :thumbup:

At 11am the wind had really kicked up. Had a quick cast for flathead and managed to nail a nicely conditioned fish of 57cm on the way home  Hope you all have a great weekend

Cheers

Hodgey

"H"..............

Well, voting done.

New battery for the boat, bought and installed.

Boat packed and ready for maiden voyage.

OH YEAH, and.... Doctors certificate organised for uummm, cough cough splutter splutter : - ( Today.

Will be on the water early, and hope to wet a line, but that depends on the crew.

:1fishing1::yahoo::yahoo::1fishing1:

You little ripper, Rod :yahoo: Sounds like you're all organised. :thumbup:

Good luck. I assume your taking the whole tribe? If so .... Go get 'em Cam and Tayla! Hope you have a fantastic day regardless mate. Looking forward to a report and some photos :thumbup:

Cheers

"H"

Sounds like you're getting back to the top of your game Hodgey. Some day you'll have to show me how to fish those blades... that's some good looking bream flesh in those pics and your new toy looks grate in the photos. Nice to see you colour coordinating your lure and reel combo :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Definitely give 'em a whirl, Rob. I have had mine for months, and have been reading every article I could get my hands on to work out how to use them effectively. More importantly, I have received great advice from several bream fishos on this site, particularly Greg and Andrew.

I have quite a few different brands now, in different sizes and colors. In order below are TT, Koolabung and Ecogear. I have them all in different sizes except the Ecogears.

post-3198-1221345916_thumb.jpg

I have also been collecting vibes. These come in a great range of colors and sizes also

post-3198-1221345988_thumb.jpg

I am keen to give these blokes a swim. The blades cast a mile, give off a good vibration, get to the bottom very quickly, but are hard to fish at the top of the water column without some vigorous rod work :tease: The vibes may not cast as far, should give off a similar vibration, will be easier to fish different depths, but they have a rattle. Will the noise effect the results compared to the silent blades? .... I'll get back to you :biggrin2:

Cheers mate

Hodgey

See you next weekend, Rod :thumbup:

Skip

Good to see the bream starting to bite down there Hodgey

Heres something to try if they arent commiting to HB surface lures

Try the bugs or pinkgrubs or squidgy lobbys fished with a high rod so they are wiggling along the surface Any sign of a follow or missed hit stop it dead and it should get hit on the drop

Hey Hodgey , another great report and great shots ao the fish and thier captors, Ive had a look at those blades , they seem pricey at around the $13-15 mark, wouldn't want to get 'em snagged up, that's one thing I've yet to do , go hunting bream on lures, I'll get to it some day.. Cheers Mate... P.S I think your moe is getting even bigger, and love the new Sol, I have the 3000 they are the ants pants..

Edited by Ray R

Thanks fellas. I am very impressed with the SOL. Smooth, light and lays the braid very nicely on the spool, allowing for looong casts of surface lures in the weeks to come! :thumbup:

The breambos have been pretty scarce of late Kael, and the ones we have caught have been pretty skinny. That said, they are still giving a good account of themselves on the light line. As the water temp rises, this place will start to jump! I anticipate the arrival of certain 'swordfishing raiders' in the weeks to come. THEN watch the numbers stack up :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Well done Hodgey & Deano!! Lovely looking bream there! :1yikes:!! Love the 42cm one - beautiful fish!

Congrats on your blade results, too! I must perservere with mine, to ensure a good result. Like you, the wind has been a real pain - blowing right up the estuary. Took the yak out the other day but forgot the pedals, so had to paddle~! :( A real pain! :1badmood:

Nice looking blades there, too! :) :)

Good to see the little Sol did the hard yards so well.

Shame about the snot! Hope it isn't didymo!

Like you, can't wait till the popper & surface lure action starts again! :)

Cheeiro

Roberta

Geez Hodgey,

You must have been ready to go home with that many (6) casts before you were on :tease:

Another typical (magnificent) report, with some of that now famous backyard scenery.

Well done mate, and a great catch to boot!

Great collection of blades as well - would love to have a crack with them.

What can I say - sensational. :thumbup:

Cheers

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fellas,

Great Report there Hodgey, great to see the action is hot down your way and the blades have worked their way into your arsenal. Dene thats a mega fish your holding there!

Good on you guys top stuff :thumbup:

Cant wait to fish again hopefully soon.

Cheers Cam