Moruya

marus8504

Hi I am planning a fishing trip down the south coast and am planning to stay at Moruya. Will have the boat down there, so will be planning some offshore work.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the fishing , or even if they had some gps marks they would kindly share of around the area Moruya. Also I was wondering what the bar like or the inshore fishing like. Are there any good fish shops to speak to? Any info will be greatly appreciated

thanks

mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry can't help with gps but fish out of Tuross a fair bit also out from Narooma.

Light House charters are pretty good and honest for charters out to Montague.

In Tuross lake try the deep hole out from the Pickled Octapus towards the Port marker. Big flatties and bream also small snapper.

The tackle shop in Narooma is the best around. They were in the process of moving when I was down there a coupl of months ago to the bottom of the hill near the ramp on the main drag.

Cheers Rowan

Hi I am planning a fishing trip down the south coast and am planning to stay at Moruya. Will have the boat down there, so will be planning some offshore work.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the fishing , or even if they had some gps marks they would kindly share of around the area Moruya. Also I was wondering what the bar like or the inshore fishing like. Are there any good fish shops to speak to? Any info will be greatly appreciated

thanks

mark

G'Day Mark

I work in Moruya but live in Tuross. If you call in and see Graham at the local tackle store in Moruya, he will set you straight on launching facilities, fishing spots, etc in Moruya.

If it's estuary fishing you're into, Tuross Lake and the Tuross River are certainly worth a look, for bream, flathead, whiting and jewfish. Sambos can be caught from the main beach on lures or bait.

Wagonga Inlet in Narooma is also well worth a visit! Definitely support Rowan's opinion of the Narooma tackle store ... plenty of gear and advice.

One important piece of advice: make sure you familiarise yourself with the boundaries of the Marine Park! All the tackle stores should have maps for you.

Good luck mate

Hodgey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks

I hope these way points for bottom bashing are a help, the drift varies but these are general areas and produce good results, be patient for the reefs are small and patchy with hotspot that can last for only 100 mtrs then desert. Overall this is a wait and see type of fishing that can give a ALL rods down hookup at times with large mowies or flathead and average snapper with the bonus big snapper thrown in. Have a look at the blokes that fis in close to the headland in around the 10 /20 m mark, allthough I have not fished that shallow they do pickup quality snapper by berlying at anchor and drifting throwing ahead with soft plastics !

As for the bar the small tides are obviously the best. If uncertain take a drive to the point headland which gives a good view of the bar and you will see the boats going out or not. The bar does play up at times of a nor east 2/3 m swell that originates far out in the pacific combined with the usual nor east winds around 10 to 12 am which makes entry difficult. Watch the regulars and have a chat at the boat ramp and you will have no problem

Moruya Fishing Waypoints

No 2 S 35 54 659 Shallow 140 ft general area

E 150 12 248

No 3 S 35 54 762 As above

E 150 12 563

No 4 S 35 54 902 Sand (Flathead)

E 150 12 900

No 5 S 35 55 003 Reef best on east to south drift Reliable for Morwong

E 150 10 194

No6 S 35 55 201 Reef good spot for Snapper and pigs

E 150 13 505

No7 S 35 55 531 Weedy then onto a small reef

E`150 13 355

No 8 S 35 55 835 Shallower worth trying if quiet in the deep or strong current

E 150 12 837

No 9 S 35 55 252 Same as No 6

E 150 13 464

No 10 S 35 54 702 Eastern edge of the Nth /Sth reef fish the edge for big snapper

E 150 13 602

mark

• 4 years later...