Humans Scoffed By Mutant Fish

mrmoshe

Humans scoffed by mutant fish

By EMMA COX

TV Features Editor

Published: Today

A FEARSOME mutant fish has started killing people after feeding on human corpses, scientists fear.

They reckon that a huge type of catfish, called a goonch, may have developed a taste for flesh in an Indian river where bodies are dumped after funerals.

Locals have believed for years that a mysterious monster lurks in the water. But they think it has moved on from scavenging to snatching unwary bathers who venture into the Great Kali, which flows along the India-Nepal border.

The extraordinary creature has been investigated by biologist Jeremy Wade for a TV documentary to be shown on Five.

He said: “The locals have told me of a theory that this monster has grown extra large on a diet of partially burnt corpses. It has perhaps got this taste for flesh by feasting on remains of funeral pyres. There will be a few freak individuals that grow bigger than the other ones and if you throw in extra food, they will grow even bigger.”

Jeremy discounted theories that crocodiles could be responsible for the carnage before turning his attention to goonches – among the world’s biggest freshwater fish.

Dragged

He caught one which tipped the scales at 161lb and was nearly 6ft long – a world record weight and far bigger than any landed before.

He said: “If that got hold of you, there’d be no getting away.

Advertisement

An 18-year-old Nepali disappeared in the river last year, dragged down by something described as like an “elongated pig”.

But the first victim of a goonch attack was thought to have been a 17-year-old Nepalese boy.

He was killed in April 1988 as he cooled himself in the river.

Witnesses said he was suddenly pulled below the surface.

Three months later a young boy was dragged underwater as his father watched helplessly.

Five’s Nature Shock series starts on October 14 and Flesh Eating River Monster is on October 21 at 8pm.

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs these funeral pyres in India. Depending on the wealth of the family dictates as to how much timber one can afford to buy, to do the "cremation". Needless to say, the poor can barely raise enough funds to purchase suitable quantities of " fuel" to all but char the body. The remains of the cremation are then disposed of in the river - not necessarily ashes to ashes.

They reckon that a huge type of catfish, called a goonch, may have developed a taste for flesh in an Indian river where bodies are dumped after funerals.

Surely that is against some sort of International Health regulation. Dumping bodies in a river would cause all sorts of outbreaks.

I do feel sorry that people have to do such things.

Surely that is against some sort of International Health regulation. Dumping bodies in a river would cause all sorts of outbreaks.

I do feel sorry that people have to do such things.

Mate,

I traveled through India in the early 1980's and saw my first dead body there in a matter of days.

After awhile you dont even notice.

I watched them burn bodies on The banks of the Ganges and watched the dogs fight over the scrapes before what was left was pushed into the river.

Such is life in third world countries.