Rigging Plastic Octopus For Trolling Salmon

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

A good friend of mine suggested to troll these plastic octopus-like things around Botany & Hacking heads for salmon. I went to a tackle store (well known here!) and the gentleman behind the counter spent some time explaining to me how to rig them. So I've tried to replicate this: could anybody please have a look and verify and/or suggest any changes?

I basically took a bean shaped sinker, pressed it into the head; widened a hole with a drill bit and pressed tight a piece of a rigid straight plastic tube into it. Than put through a leader, a bead and a loop knot with a hook...

Thanks

2974027990_e65f570b3a.jpg2974028786_906f9a0d91.jpg2974029622_2455b7f6c5.jpg

Looks very good my friend, my only suggestion for better hook ups and more of them is to use two hooks and if only using one to sit it lower, ie: more towards the bottom of the skirt, even if the hook hangs out its fine, it is not necessary but i have found it better.

Kruze, most if not all lures will catch you fish at one point or another, if the schools are there then you know where the fish are, but if its tough going, most people are scared to troll in close to the rocks and washes, you must know your area to do this but this is where the fish are, trolling is very quiet on days where there is little or no swell.

All the best with it im sure you will get some nice fish, not just Salmon.

mate if u are fishing for world records or in a comp IGFA requires u to have a piece of the hook in the skirt dsent have to be much just the eye of the hook so there for i would be putting at least 3 more beads in it and what xtosea said the further back the better as u will get alot better strike to fish rate

mate if u are fishing for world records

You're kidding, right? :D Will celebrate if I catch anything desent!

so there for i would be putting at least 3 more beads in it and what xtosea said the further back the better as u will get alot better strike to fish rate

Thanks, will do that.

====

Thanks to everybody

Edited by Kruzenvax

definetly would NOT use ganged hooks,double hook rig is great if you know how to do it but in my opion not required for your target species,when xtosea mentioned double hooks he wasnt talking about gang hooks,if you have crimping tools i will help you out if thats what your after ,but as the boys said your hookup rate will improve imensly by having just the eye of that hook inside that octopus skirt

cheers arman

ive always seen these in the shops but i thought they were teasers for marlin as they had no hooks

can some one clarify what fish will take the lure

is it a surface lure or an under water lure

last thing why does the hook have to be outside the skit because i thought it would have to be inside the skirt as the fish would strike the stirt not behind it

fisherboy :1fishing1: