Optimax Service Schedule

rob roy

Hi,

I have just noticed a sticker on my boat put there by the people who did my 20 hour service, it says next service due at 50 hours, i have checked my service book and there is no mention of a 50 hour service, firstly is this going to affect my warranty if i don't get it done, and is it important to have this done considering i'l be having my annual/100hour service done in March next year, or is this just a way of getting more money out of me by this particular dealer.

Regards Roy

Hi,

I have just noticed a sticker on my boat put there by the people who did my 20 hour service, it says next service due at 50 hours, i have checked my service book and there is no mention of a 50 hour service, firstly is this going to affect my warranty if i don't get it done, and is it important to have this done considering i'l be having my annual/100hour service done in March next year, or is this just a way of getting more money out of me by this particular dealer.

Regards Roy

We have an optimax to and similarly has just had its 20hr service, not really sure when next one is due, i wouldn't of thought until 100hrs, not sure if you'll be able to get a truthful answer out of your dealer like you said.

Huey might know the answer?

Josh

We have an optimax to and similarly has just had its 20hr service, not really sure when next one is due, i wouldn't of thought until 100hrs, not sure if you'll be able to get a truthful answer out of your dealer like you said.

Huey might know the answer?

Josh

Hi Roy Boy, i have twin 90 Optimax motors and have just looked at my servicing history. I have completed a 20 hour and a 100 hour service and does not have any 50 hour service in the warranty book. As long as you follow the servicing schedule in your maintenance log book, im sure you will be right.

Cheers

Lee

mate ,dont stress about this as i had the same issue with a sticker placed on my boat saying next service due at 50hours,and after going through the log book and contacting the dealership who then went through to mercury to confirm that its 20 and then 100 hours

as i didnt want to loose the 3+2 yr warrenty

i didnt want to fork out the dollars as it took me 4 weeks to go from 20 to 50 hours

apparently they used to have a 50hour service in there scedule and this is were the confusion is created

cheers arman

Hi Roy, the service intervals on all Mercs are 3mths/20 hours and then every 12mths or 100 hours which ever comes first.

You are probably right and it is a way the dealer can try and make more money out of a customer and would unless you checked. Get it serviced yearly of ever 100 hours and your warranty will be fine.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

g-day Roy

buddy when i bought my new boat with a 150 hp johnson they told me it needed a 20hr & then 100hr as per the warranty book. Then had the 20hr done they also put a sticker for a 50hr service,when i checked up on it they said it was a mistake after i told them what the book said & i told them what johnson told me ,then they told they where sorry for the mistake of there apprentice mechanic had made.

by the way i never went back there again & now is no longer in the businness

cheers john

Edited by johnv

Hi, its a 135 hp optimax, the dealer i bought it off charges $500 plus parts for a service, and the total cost after my 20 hour service was $650, i had a few minor issues with the smartcraft set up and the trailer that i wanted them to sort out under warranty so that's why i took it to them, i'm going to shop around for my next service.

Roy

Hi, its a 135 hp optimax, the dealer i bought it off charges $500 plus parts for a service, and the total cost after my 20 hour service was $650, i had a few minor issues with the smartcraft set up and the trailer that i wanted them to sort out under warranty so that's why i took it to them, i'm going to shop around for my next service.

Roy

Just make sure an authorised Merc dealer does the servicing to keep your 3 + 2 warranty

The reason i asked is my first service on my 90 Optimax was under $250 including parts. I can't see why a 135 would be so much more expensive. Your is a 4cyl ???? may be they are alot more work.

Also remember any Merc dealer will do the warranty. I purchased my boat from a dealer in Newcastle and i get all my work done in Sydney and they have done warranty work no worries. They just claim parts time ect through Merc.

Edited by hoges1974

Roy

Don't know what the book hours are for that service but maybe they think they are worth $250 an hour???? Hope you got a cup of coffee and a biscuit. God knows what parts add up to $150. Can't possibly be plugs at only 20 hours??

Shame the manufacturers don't cut out some of this crap as it give a bad taste in the mouth of the consumer. I think when we all buy motors we should ask for a copy of the scheduled hours for services so we know as in the magazine comparisons they quote ongoing costs but it seems some dealers charge significantly over. Perhaps on the purchase we should negotiate the first services as pert of the package price so and hope the dealer is still in business when they become due?

Edited by pelican

Hi Guys, apologies all round, just checked my receipt, my dealer charged $400 plus parts for the 20 hour service, and the parts came to $170, fuel filter and filter kit was $72, , oil and grease $38 environmental levy $25 and impeller $35, [ had an issue of engine overheat warning horn coming on ] was told the impeller wasn't worn enough to send back under warranty, but since changing the engine has been running nice and cool, still thought i shouldn't have had to pay for it though.

Regards Roy

If the part isn't worn enough thats the more reason it should be going back for warranty. Warranty does not generally cover fair wear and tear. If its not worn and its not working you would think that would be a warranty problem? Interesting to know what the hour service schedule is for the 20hr service and how much they are charging you an hour.

I hope i'm not getting ripped off.

We have an Optimax 75 and its just been in for its 20hr.

All up it cost just over $600, this was made up of :

anti-corrosion treatment=$3

Materials=$15

Grease/gear box oils=$40

3 bottles of DFI oil (4L bottles) = $48 each= $144

20hr service labour: price=$90, quantity=4?? :wacko: total=$360

new anchor=$45

All up=$607, disregard anchor and oil i guess so brings it down to $417-is that about right or a bit steep??

Cheers

Josh

I hope i'm not getting ripped off.

We have an Optimax 75 and its just been in for its 20hr.

All up it cost just over $600, this was made up of :

anti-corrosion treatment=$3

Materials=$15

Grease/gear box oils=$40

3 bottles of DFI oil (4L bottles) = $48 each= $144

20hr service labour: price=$90, quantity=4?? :wacko: total=$360

new anchor=$45

All up=$607, disregard anchor and oil i guess so brings it down to $417-is that about right or a bit steep??

Cheers

Josh

20 hour service on 90 Optimax

This is how my reciept for my first service read

Carried out first service

Compression test;ok

Ignition check;ok

Drained and refilled gearbox oil

Removed prop. checked for fishing line and greased shaft

removed and inspected spark plugs all ok

Greased all grease points

removed and replaced fuel filter

Inspected fuel system

Retorqued cylinder head and side plates

Ran on flusher. checked operations and cooling system

Labour total $159.09

Parts

1 x fuel filter $23.18

2 x gear plug washers $2.73

1 x gearbox oil and grease $16.36

1 x workshop supplies $12.27

Extras

Inspected trailer and made adjustments

Remove engine from boat and lowered to bottom hole

$85.00

Total $301.36

gst $30.14

total $331.50

Minus the $85 to do motor and trailer close enough to $250

Its a pitty the site sponsor isn't a merc dealer.

Edited by hoges1974

Actually he is .

Without this denegrating into an ETEC vs MERCURY rant, I purchased a 75HP ETEC 18 months ago.

Motor has approximately 140 hrs.

Huetts Marine changed the fuel filter @ 30 hrs ( updated filter , no charge ).

Last week , I greased the prop spline , and 3 grease nipples . ( Say $3.00 for grease).

Thats it.

Marine Mechanics charge for their time. Some make a meal of it , (the bad guys ) , others charge what it is worth.

I think , ( and I am sure those in the trade would agree) that $600 for a first service is a little on the steep side!

I would suggest that you have a chat with Craig from Huetts Marine , who will give you a genuine quote as to what a 20 hour service would cost.

Ross

Actually he is .

Without this denegrating into an ETEC vs MERCURY rant, I purchased a 75HP ETEC 18 months ago.

Motor has approximately 140 hrs.

Huetts Marine changed the fuel filter @ 30 hrs ( updated filter , no charge ).

Last week , I greased the prop spline , and 3 grease nipples . ( Say $3.00 for grease).

Thats it.

Marine Mechanics charge for their time. Some make a meal of it , (the bad guys ) , others charge what it is worth.

I think , ( and I am sure those in the trade would agree) that $600 for a first service is a little on the steep side!

I would suggest that you have a chat with Craig from Huetts Marine , who will give you a genuine quote as to what a 20 hour service would cost.

Ross

Correct me AGAIN if i am wrong but i asked Huetts and they told me they are not AN APPROVED Mercury dealer so they can't service the motor if you want to keep the Warranty.

Merc state to keep the 3+ 2 you must use a Merc dealer

Craig ???????????

If i owned an Etec i would still service it at 100 hours just the way i like to do things. 3 years with no servicing scared me when i was looking at boats

Edited by hoges1974

Hi Guys, we are still Mercury agents and no problem about Mercury warranty requirements. In fact I would be guessing, but I would think we are Sydneys oldest Merc dealer-we have been Merc dealers since 1984 and meet all the requirements for service work on Merc. Hoges, sorry mate but must have had cross wires or something and Ross yes we are still Merc dealers thru the tie-in with Telwater.

These figures are way over the top. A first 20 service on a V6 OPTI shoudl not cost more than about $250. All that is done is really change the gearoil, grease, check computor for codes and a few other minor things. On a 3 cylinder OPTI that first service should not be more than about $200. These types of figures are what I would expect on a yearly service where you replace the impeller and even replacing the $40 each plugs does not make it these types of figures.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys, we are still Mercury agents and no problem about Mercury warranty requirements. In fact I would be guessing, but I would think we are Sydneys oldest Merc dealer-we have been Merc dealers since 1984 and meet all the requirements for service work on Merc. Hoges, sorry mate but must have had cross wires or something and Ross yes we are still Merc dealers thru the tie-in with Telwater.

These figures are way over the top. A first 20 service on a V6 OPTI shoudl not cost more than about $250. All that is done is really change the gearoil, grease, check computor for codes and a few other minor things. On a 3 cylinder OPTI that first service should not be more than about $200. These types of figures are what I would expect on a yearly service where you replace the impeller and even replacing the $40 each plugs does not make it these types of figures.

Cheers,

Huey.

Well there you go

we should all take our OPtis to Huey and everyone will be happy :1clap: