Problem With Mariner 3.3hp

karweng

Hey guy's, I just bought a Mariner 3.3hp(the one with the neutral and forward gear)It start's and idle's fine but as soon as I touch the throttle, it bog's out and die's then wont start again. :ranting2:

And sometimes when I switch to forward gear, the motor just remain as neutral.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin, not much to these little engines. Your running problem will be a carby issue. Easy to remove and clean out, check float height and inlet valve/seat. The gearbox issue will have to be confirmed whether the problem is up top or down in the gearcase. The clutch/spring in the gearbox could be damaged if you first confirm that the shift shaft is trying to change gears. Bets thing to do would be to remove the gearbox and check, also while you are there you can replace the impeller.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Kelvin, not much to these little engines. Your running problem will be a carby issue. Easy to remove and clean out, check float height and inlet valve/seat. The gearbox issue will have to be confirmed whether the problem is up top or down in the gearcase. The clutch/spring in the gearbox could be damaged if you first confirm that the shift shaft is trying to change gears. Bets thing to do would be to remove the gearbox and check, also while you are there you can replace the impeller.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, I shall bring it down to my local marine dealer to have a look at it.

Many Thanks

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Mate make sure you get a quote out of them first as some blokes will take you for a ride on the small motors and charge like wounded bulls. You really need to discover the overall condition of little motors as if some things are wrong the parts are priced expensively and make it unecconomic to continue to repair.

Your problem could be as simple as the spark plug gap to as bad as no compression.

If Huey can't suggest someone at kingsford area , as the little 3.3 is so portable you might check with him about dropping it up there as he is near the rail line or using a courier at a flat rate??

Just a thought as some mechanics see newbys as wallet fodder especially coming up to christmas and holidays.

If you are not mechancal and do not know the history of the motor you need to find someone you can trust so you know from start it is tuned right and isn't going to seize itself.

Pel

Edited by pelican

Hi Kelvin, +1 to what Pel said. I hear it all the time where an engine like yours, which really only has a value of $200-$600 depending on year model, some dealers will charge you more than that to fix it. With small engines of any brand you have to be very careful how far you go on them because it is often cheaper to start again.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Kelvin,

I'm sure Huey and Pel are probably right but just double check this.

Make sure that you have taken the choke switch off after you have started it, i have a little 2hp yamaha 2 stroke and the same thing happens you idle along ok but then you try to increase the throttle and it dies because you are starving it of air.

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Thumbs up Huey :thumbup: and many thanks guys.

The previous owner told me that the outboard only had 2 hours of usage, that's the reason why I bought it.

Why the motor was stalling might be the reason as Josh suggested that I was flooding the engine with too much fuel and not enough air, probably due to human error. :05:

Still have to figure out why when the gear is engage to forward but it is still in neutral.

Going to take the outboard out and test it again this weekend before I bring it to someone to have a look at it.

Hi Mate with a motor that small I would be testing it in your garbage bin carefully.

Make sure the fuel you use is fresh and has right oil mix in it.

Running gearboxes knowing they are out of adjustment is a sure way to kill them so if you can't get a nice clean change while turning the prop don't persist too much and find the problem.

As Huey says look at the lever and the linkages and check that the shift shaft that goes to teh gearbox is moving. If it isn't manually move it to see if you can select gears. If that side is Ok work back till you find the problem.

I would still inspect the impeller and gearbox oil of any motor. Look for water in the oil and any iron filings when you undo the inspection plug - oil will be white if it has water in it. Inspect teh impeller for obvious signs of deteriotion.

Pel

I don't know your exact motor. You would just need to closely look at the motor where it mounts to the midsection and see if there is any movement. I have assumed the gearchange is mounted to the motor block. It would ned to be pretty loose to stop it going into gear so I would check those linages and where the lingages pivot on the motor.

Edited by pelican

I have been told, with this particular model if the outboard is not secure on the motor mount. The gear will not engage.

Hi Kelvin, you do not have engine mounts like larger engines. Below the powerhead you have a clamp arrangement with 4 bolts that can come loose and the engine becomes floppy, but it has nothing to do with gear selection mate.

Have you drain the oil yet and seen what that looks like?

Cheers,

Huey.