Quick Flicks @ Iron Cove

Fished Iron Cove LB on the start of a rising tide as the sun started to disappear.

Started with a NW pencil popper and after a hand full of casts I was only able to get one big swirl but no committed interests. So I decided to tie on my banged up favorite SX 40. I was wading and casting for bout 15 mins then I got hit in shin deep water by a nice little bream...Havent felt one on a HB for a while and even the smaller ones can give u a bit of stick in the shallows once they get side on to you.

post-4329-1226743014_thumb.jpg

Waded back in and released the little one with the hope he would grow to 40 cm+ and grace me with his presence some time in near future ;)

Fired of the next cast and was slammed again this time by a nice whiting.

post-4329-1226743168_thumb.jpg

I quickly released the whiting and was thinking to my self things are starting to fire up. Flicked off the next cast in the similar vicinity and bang im on again this time with something a little more heavier..

Unfortunately this one liked my fav SX 40 more than I did and on its first big run pop went my 4lbs fluro carbon :1badmood:

Felt like a decent flattie...oh well cant complain too much...that SX 40 has pulled its fair share of fish.

Tight lines raiders.

Jeff

Gday,

Its good to see someone is getting fish around this area. I fished the rising tide last night under figtree bridge and did not get one decent bit for the night. Also spoke with a bloke this moring who was fishing on the warf at the bottom of Cove Street, balmain and he had the same story,

I might give Iron Cove a go on the rising tide tonight and see what happens.

Cheers

Balmain Bob

these SX 40 lures seem to catch plenty of fish. Are they made by Ecogear?

Yes mate, they are from the Ecogear Stable :thumbup:

Nice report mate. I heartily agree: bream on little hardbodies is a lot of fun! Just a shame that the flathead also enjoy them. :mad3:

Cheers

Hodgey

Were you fishing around the iron cove bridge or further up around rodd point

I was fishing the hawthorne canal and got 3 flatties and 1 tailor

nice fish :biggrin2:

Hazza

Caught those fish off of Henley Marine Drive close to Rodd Point.

Walked the dog this morning (my actual dog not the lure fishing style :tease:) around Rodd Point and was able to make a few casts over the rocky area..Wind was already blowing enough to be annoying :thumbdown: . Was aiming to crack a decent bream off of the surface (missing the feeling). Started with a sure catch popper in the wind chopped water and was able to catch a small bream. Walked around to where it was a bit more sheltered but still casting over shallow rocky grounds with some sandy patches. Because the water was less choppy here i decided to give the NW pencil a go again. I was followed, swirled, blooped and smashed several times one of them was definitely a bream of decent size coz when it went for the lure it splashed so much it made my little dog jump and turn it head towards the water (gets my heart pumping also :biggrin2: ). However no hookup :( ...sometimes I find it so hard to believe that with all those trebles they still miss the hooks :mad3:

Oh well looking forward to some more surface action hopefully next time I can turn it into some fish

That's a nice bream and whiting there Jeff, how big are they? Must try that spot again...one of this day....

Littledinghy

didnt have a ruler on me but i estimate that the bream was just over 25cm and the whiting would have been just under 30cm

I have been able to get out for some quick flicks again in IC (when i mean quick...<30 mins from leaving home and getting back home) while walking my dog again in the arvo...I scored a nice flattie a couple of days ago

post-4329-1227081766_thumb.jpg

again no ruler but from the pic it lines up to my rod at about 40 cm

and scored another one just then...bout 15 mins ago. No pic for this however it was slightly smaller than the one above.

didnt have a ruler on me but i estimate that the bream was just over 25cm and the whiting would have been just under 30cm

I have been able to get out for some quick flicks again in IC (when i mean quick...<30 mins from leaving home and getting back home) while walking my dog again in the arvo...I scored a nice flattie a couple of days ago

post-4329-1227081766_thumb.jpg

again no ruler but from the pic it lines up to my rod at about 40 cm

and scored another one just then...bout 15 mins ago. No pic for this however it was slightly smaller than the one above.

A good motivation to walk Kookai, have a flick, get some fish and go home. Good onya, Jeff.

Littledinghy

• 2 months later...

fished IC land based at around 11am today. I havent had much luck of late and it started off the same...not even a touch while flicking different HB's for about 45mins. Tied on an old favorite lure and flicked it around for a few casts...I was about to call it quits then suddenly got hit by a small bream 29cm. Didnt give any decent runs :thumbdown: but atleast a fish to get my confidence going again.

post-4329-1232959458_thumb.jpg

Decided to stay out and luckly i did. Next cast I was on to a good fish...made my new LUVIAS sing a few times and I as i caught sight of the fish I saw it was a whiting and a possible PB for me also. He was well hooked and was going no where.. It was a PB for me on lures and went 39cm :thumbup: .

post-4329-1232959469_thumb.jpg

I was thinking to myself finally this area starting to fish like im used too. Next cast and im on...from its long first run and how it arched around i knew i was on to a nice bream...I was thinking finally the first decent bream for my new reel. BUT it wasnt to be as I counted my chickens too early. After another long run it arched back towards me and then spat the hooks...I have to admit it was my fault...didnt keep the tension on when i came back towards me :(

Finished off with the smallest ever whiting i have caught on a lure and another bream 25cm. The bite shut down again as the clouds dissipated so i called it quits. All fished were released. All in all a good flick at IC

post-4329-1232959482_thumb.jpg

post-4329-1232959490_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Fished HC at first this morning for 1 good bream but it was too quite and tide was getting low so I took off to IC and it turned out to be a good choice.

It was quite at first and then I changed to a blade and scored the following.

27cm bream

post-4329-1238901180_thumb.jpg

little flattie

post-4329-1238901794_thumb.jpg

28cm whiting

post-4329-1238901904_thumb.jpg

40cm Flattie that did a death roll and had all my leader wrapped around him

post-4329-1238901914_thumb.jpg

47cm flattie...lucky to get my lure back!!

post-4329-1238901924_thumb.jpg

There were a couple of guys on a boat fishing hulls and one hooked what Im assuming to be a big bream because i could hear his drag sing several times and they had to track it down with the leccy.

Neways I Had a great morning fishing both HC and IC and all fish were released to grow a little bigger :yahoo:

Jeff

Edited by Plastic Fantastic