02 Mod 115hp Saltwater Series Yamaha

diver1

hi all, sold me boat yesty and have put a deposit on me next one, its a 02 cruisecraft with a 115 saltwater series yamy, any opinions on these motors?

Like most Yamaha products i imagine rock solid. As long as it has been well maintained.

Hi diver, congradulation on the new boat. As with anything second hand if the engine has been maintained the V4 115HP Yamaha is a solid outboard for an old tech outboard. What Cruisecraft hull is it on, I would imagine the 5.5M series hull and if so it should perform well on the hull. Make sure you are seeing about 5500 at WOT with your normal load, ideally you want 3/8 fuel line and good water seperating fuel filter and a battery without wing nuts.

Other than that enjoy her,

Cheers,

Huey.

You only have a deposit on it so the seller knows you are serious. Now go and get the whole thing inspected so you know it is good. Yeah it is a few extra bucks but better to find out now that the thermostats are still in there, it has compression and that the water galleries have been flushed. At the very least a on water test if you are familiar with the type of boat to check what revs to make sure it has been propped all it's life correctly and will actually attain it's top speed. A honest seller shouldn't mind the above and many shonky sellers rely on the fact people couldn't be bothered. This goes for any boat or motor purchase as even if the cost of repair isn't great the time and loss of enjoyment can really make boating more painfull than it should be. Rather be on the water than in the shop.

Edited by pelican

Hi diver, congradulation on the new boat. As with anything second hand if the engine has been maintained the V4 115HP Yamaha is a solid outboard for an old tech outboard. What Cruisecraft hull is it on, I would imagine the 5.5M series hull and if so it should perform well on the hull. Make sure you are seeing about 5500 at WOT with your normal load, ideally you want 3/8 fuel line and good water seperating fuel filter and a battery without wing nuts.

Other than that enjoy her,

Cheers,

Huey.

hi huey, its a 5m cruisecraft rival, what do you meen by old tech outboard? the boat i just sold had a 90hp 98mod oil injected johnson on it that went like a dream! the 115 yamy is 4 years newer, also does WOT meen flat nacker? thanks shane.

hi huey, its a 5m cruisecraft rival, what do you meen by old tech outboard? the boat i just sold had a 90hp 98mod oil injected johnson on it that went like a dream! the 115 yamy is 4 years newer, also does WOT meen flat nacker? thanks shane.

Hi Shane, pretty much what Ross said. Both engines you mention are excellent outboards, but compared to todays cleaner, more fuel efficient outboards they leave a bit to be desired, but it is like comparing a 1980s car to a brand new car, should not be done. As mentioned make sure the Yamaha is a good one by checking a complete check over of it by someone who knows what they are doing and you will be fine. Shoudl go well on the Rival as long as it is not priced too high because the engine does not have much value in todays market, every one wants clean tech outboards.

Cheers,

Huey.

Shane, a mate of mine has a 2004 115 Saltwater Yammie done now about 400 hours. Compression is still bang on and motor looks new - regularly serviced and provides reasonable economy on a 5.1 mtr glass runabout.

Go for it if the price is right.

Cheers, Tuffy.

• 2 weeks later...