Northern Beaches

GregL

Had a couple of productive sessions up on the Northern Beaches chasing reds.

Had the usual bust offs from some horses but we landed enough to keep us out there.

We mainly fish 5' jerk shads and 4' pogys on 1/2oz to 5/8th depending on depth and drift speeds.

I have been targeting from DeeWhy area to Newport in the North focusing on the drop offs in 5-23m.

Tried the wrecks but the jackets were just demolishing the plastics before they got to the bottom :mad3:

Didn't get many good pics as the conditions have been pretty average out there of late but here is a pic of Evan with a nice one around the 4kg mark that took a 5" Jerk shad in 6m of water. You could clearly see the bottom and he did well to get it as it took a shed load of line on the first runs. We ended up chasing it down with the boat to try keep the line angle away from the kelp.

post-3563-1226966110_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of great eater size ones I got yesterday around the 3kg mark. Conditions got pretty ugly in the arvo with a solid southerly swell and a building noreaster making the seas very confused. Not the best conditions to fish shallow drop off in most boats.....

post-3563-1226966729_thumb.jpg

The fishing is not hot but persistancy definately pays off in the end.

Greg

Some lovely looking reds guys, what line class are you using greg, rod weight ect? :1fishing1:

Hi Snaggy

For snappers I have been using a Diawa Morthan Branzino 3000 loaded with Diawa's new 15lb Performance SLC braid and 17lb Stealth leader on my Branzino Daybreaker rod. The outfit casts a mile but maybe lacks a little hooking power after a long cast. I'm waiting for Ian to finish off a custom Beast Buster Toad. These are the same series rods I used for the barras recently and have plenty of balls but still nice and tippy for lighter plastics.

Next time I will go to 20lb braid when I spool up a Branzino I just purchased off another Raider. Starting to get sick of being blown away at least once every trip!

Greg

Nice reds Greg :thumbup:

Are you losing many jigheads over the reef or in the kelp?

Hi Andrew

I only lost one yesterday to the bottom but Patty got plenty of knot practice threw out the day.

His problem was he was casting to the side and not getting his lure back to the boat before the boat drifted past it, so at the end of his retrieve he was fishing backwards. His catch rate reflected that to.....

I cast as far forward of the boat as I can, I only fish maybe 10 hops before winding in and recasting. I find most of the bites come on the drop from the cast. ;)

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

Were you seeing them on the sounder in deeper water or just working the dropoffs and edges of broken reef?

You'd think great size snapper like that would glow red on the sounder?

Great fish

Pel

Hi Pel

I don't sound the area I am going to fish as I target such shallow water the boat noise with scare them off.

I just use maps and GPS to find the right structure, move up drift of the target and fish it and see what happens. While doing the first drift I do stare at the sounder alot. Each time we catch a fish I put a fish symbol on the plotter for future reference. Over time I should be able to see a pattern on where the fish will sit. It worked with my bream fishing in the past so it should work here.

Greg

Well Done on the snapper Greg Lee :thumbup:

Here's me trying to fish with a bad back but looking at the two snapper of yours in the second photo you do quite well for a young bloke who's only a torso mounted to a swivel

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

LOL

In the sloppy conditions yesterday the padded coamings are worth their weight in gold. You had to stay leaning on something just to stay upright!

I think it took Pat 7 shots just to have me and both fish in the shot! It was ugly by 4pm....

G

Had a couple of productive sessions up on the Northern Beaches chasing reds.

Had the usual bust offs from some horses but we landed enough to keep us out there.

We mainly fish 5' jerk shads and 4' pogys on 1/2oz to 5/8th depending on depth and drift speeds.

I have been targeting from DeeWhy area to Newport in the North focusing on the drop offs in 5-23m.

Tried the wrecks but the jackets were just demolishing the plastics before they got to the bottom :mad3:

Didn't get many good pics as the conditions have been pretty average out there of late but here is a pic of Evan with a nice one around the 4kg mark that took a 5" Jerk shad in 6m of water. You could clearly see the bottom and he did well to get it as it took a shed load of line on the first runs. We ended up chasing it down with the boat to try keep the line angle away from the kelp.

post-3563-1226966110_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of great eater size ones I got yesterday around the 3kg mark. Conditions got pretty ugly in the arvo with a solid southerly swell and a building noreaster making the seas very confused. Not the best conditions to fish shallow drop off in most boats.....

post-3563-1226966729_thumb.jpg

The fishing is not hot but persistancy definately pays off in the end.

Greg

hi bud there some long arms mate nice work

Great Catches Greg,

I spent a week in port stephens last week and spent one morning chasing reds at Broughton Island for zip.

I was told the water was too warm. Is temperature a major contributor to catching snapper? and how do you determine when is good time to fish this way?

Thanks,

mike

That is some top fishing there Greg. You have me pumped to get out there and chase a few myself.... Never caught one on soft plastic but will give it a go once the wind settles .... Also how long is your leader Thanks......

Cheers for the reports... Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

Great Catches Greg,

I spent a week in port stephens last week and spent one morning chasing reds at Broughton Island for zip.

I was told the water was too warm. Is temperature a major contributor to catching snapper? and how do you determine when is good time to fish this way?

Thanks,

mike

Hi Mike

I have just started chasing reds on plastics, Gus (csg) and Evan where the ones that first took me out a few months ago. When I first started it was winter, 15 degree water and crystal clear. Now we are in 21 degrees and still getting bit so I can't see how it makes a difference, there are fish still there and I think some are there year round. The darker fish caught up in the shallows I presume are always there that's why they have taken on the darker kelpie colour.

So at the moment it's still very trial and error for me. I have done only 7 or 8 snapper trips where we don't chase anything else and only once I have donuted. Sometimes there are long periods of no bites but that's with near all types of fishing. Monday I went threw a 3hour period without a bite. Pat changed to bait and still didn't get one but when I did get bit I got 2 in 2 casts..... You must stick at it if you want resaults.

Kingie

Mate we have hooked them ALL threw the day. Some of the biggest have been at lunch time but I personally like the arvo session as the wind is up. Wind is good for drift speed, I like to cover ground and the surface noise and chop will keep them in shallower water and less spooky. There is usually more water movement which I think gets the fish on the bite. Bit like tides in a river, "no run no fun".

Distance from shore.

I have fished into the washes alot and scored fish, so from the rocks to maybe 2km out over shallow reef near islands like up at port stephens. It's more the depth that I look at. Most of the time I'm within 1km of the shore tho.

I haven't done alot in the 30m+ as I feel vertical jigging is going to be the way to go for better feel and hook up rates from those depths.

Dogtooth

My leaders started off at a full rod length (8ft), lately I have been using shorter around 3-4ft and keeping the knot out side of the guides to aid in casting distance. I'm still getting fish.......

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg ,

Just purchased a New daiwa setup to give the reds a go once these seas settle . I know that area pretty well up around longreef so im hoping to get my first solid red on plastics up there ....

Cant wait to hit the Mid North coast ......

Cheers ....Dogtooth :1fishing1: ..... John..... :beersmile: