Rock Fishing Tips And Land Based In Sydney?

Jonas77

Hi

I was down near Coogee Beach last night, and if you take a short walk right from the beach looking out to sea you find a green space with some rocks that i saw some guys fishing from last night.

I watched for a bit and could see them pull a couple of small fish in, so I wanted to know what would be the best baits and rig to use.

The drop is about 20 ft at a guess, so do you just put some weight on the line let it drift with the surf and use pilchards or prawns etc?

Any advise or tips would be appreciated.

Also what locations around Darling harbour are good to drop a line, I've been down at Pirrama r near Pyrmont but wondered what other areas you can do this.. (Oh I have no car, so that limits things)

Can you fish anywhere in the Harbour, or some areas no go?

Edited by Jonas77

Hi Mate, I have fished their before in the evening with Pillies and caught a shovel nose sharks and an eel, I am sure their would be other fish around but think best bet would be use a running weighted float with a beach rod as alot of snags in close (first 20-30 odd metres) before you hit the drop off....(I fished just beside the Dog park) which is the green field you can see down the south end of Coggee.

I am sure some locals could point you in a bit clearer direction.

As for Harbour fishing "no clue" but think the City side of the harbour fishing is prohibitted from most of the shore locations....

Do a google search for landbased fishing spots in Sydney and you will pick up all the information you need.

Best of luck and happy fishing....Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers Kev

I reckon a better spot for you to try which is only just down the road is at the blessings out at south maroubra point.Its worth the walk out & you are fishing about 10 to 15ft high,which is quite safe in

most conditions.You will have a much better chance of catching quality fish if you berley up with some

stale bread & fish lightly weighted peeled prawns that will float around in the wash,or you can add a

small bobby cork if you prefer.I have fished that area over many years & usually get a mixed bag of

fish like bream,drummer,trevally,blackfish,salmon & tailor.

Try late afternoon on a rising tide for best results.

Steve

I reckon a better spot for you to try which is only just down the road is at the blessings out at south maroubra point.Its worth the walk out & you are fishing about 10 to 15ft high,which is quite safe in

most conditions.You will have a much better chance of catching quality fish if you berley up with some

stale bread & fish lightly weighted peeled prawns that will float around in the wash,or you can add a

small bobby cork if you prefer.I have fished that area over many years & usually get a mixed bag of

fish like bream,drummer,trevally,blackfish,salmon & tailor.

Try late afternoon on a rising tide for best results.

Steve

I'll have to check that spot out, if on foot do you go right from Coogee and just keep walking? I keep seeing some guys fishing at the top of a path about 10 mins from Coogee.

I went last night for an hour or so, pulled in 2 Flatheads (I think) and had 2 drop off on route up the rock face!!

I might go for a longer walk on Sunday afternoon, and see what I can find.

On a similar note, the other direction heads towards Gordon's Bay and Bondi etc, are those spots any good?

Advice and tips, Before you even go, know what the swell and wind are doing, tides etc, before you even step foot on a platform or ledge research the area and watch it for a while, make sure you are wearing cleats, for christs sake fish with someone..... who else is going to get you out if you fall in or fall off. Tell someone where you are going etc.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the places mentioned.

The safety side of things is something i'm very keen to follow. The spot I fished from in coogee was viwed for a while as i watched the waves, wind etc..Even then I found a spot I liked it was covered on one side, and with the surf below didn't have to go anywhere near the edge.

I've seen some people down lower walking from Coogee to Bondi, but to me that seems madness be you experienced or not.

Once I get a car it will be easier, I'll be able to find some new places to fish, but also some safe places too.

Jonas

Clovelly bay - it is a bay that has concrete on either sides.... (2 bays to the left of cooggee - if u facing the sea - maps.google.com)

On the left of the swimming area and outside - off the rocks - at low tide- you can fish for drummer and black fish under a float using sea cabbage, bread, chickenguts etc.... Always good on a North westerly / northely wind...

Its an easy fish and when the fish are on the bite - always good...

Keep an eye on the ocean, and fish safe!!

Chewy

Edited by Chewy

• 2 weeks later...

I've the Coogee beach with a mates regularly enough over the past few months, mainly at night. I've caught plenty of Port Jacksons up to ~13kg, decent sized shovelnosed sharks, sand ray, whiting, flathead, a wobbegong and some UFO's (unidentified fishy objects). Never saw Rex Hunt catch the UFO's on tv back home in Ireland.

It's not particularly tough fishing unless there is weed around. Got taken to the cleaners one night by something I couldn't stop headin for the wedding cake with 10kg line on full drag. No idea what it was.

If your ever walking down the beach and see or hear a Scottish and Irish lad fishing say hi.