Jewfish Tactics

King slayer

Hi all,

Over the last year or so I've put in some grueling hours and nearly torn my hair out more than a few times chasing Jew. So I thought it appropriate to share a little more of my recent experiences in the hope of helping someone else to take the next step.

I still have a lifetime of learning to do with these fish, so there are no claims of expertise here. I will say though, The difference between my sessions now and one year ago is that I expect to catch Jew, and do so on around 1 in 3 sessions on average, and sometimes have better runs too. That certainly beats how I started at 3 in one year!

So a few lessons I've learned recently include the following:

They don't only bite on the tide turn! So many people believe this, but as the more experienced ones will know, it's not true at all. In fact I've come to the conclusion that they will bite on the turn more so in the feeding grounds near where they live e.g. wharfs and shallows etc, and more on the running tide in the holding grounds like the back of a deep reef or a channel edge where they are traveling through with the flow. So in short, try lots of different spots based on this theory and you'll soon find some more reliable locations as I have.

Screw the moon! The fish don't wait two weeks until big tides to eat. They eat when it's easy to do so and they need to eat most days I'm sure. so fish all the time and you need to work out where they are and put a bait in their path....easier said than done though. I believe the reason the moons crop up as a "Jew time" is because the high tides tend to be around sunset, providing ideal light levels for ambush, which will create one scenario where you could find some on the chew. There are many other scenarios all month long though and they seem to be more affected by a vast combination of factors, like rain for example, which will discolour the water to a certain light level at a different time of day/night at a different point in the system than it would have before the rain came..if that makes any sense. my point/theory here is that I believe that Jew, while not wholly, do partially rely on sight for hunting and being quite slow, with their level of site at a particular level (I'm assuming they have much better night vision than we do) would prefer when feeding by site to do so at a particular light level so it becomes easier for them to ambush. So in short the bright moon will make it hard to hunt in shallows, so I fish deep, with the exception of dirty water, when I'd move down stream from my usual spots till the water colour got a little more favourable, but still green, or even a little brown on top. ok that was a bit of waffle...but hopefully the point is clear enough.

Don't believe what people tell you until you've tested it thoroughly and proven it! Including what I'm writing too I suppose..remember, I'm just venting experiences, not professing to be an expert. I've tested all kinds of ideas that didn't work out and caught Jew when I wasn't supposed to by most popular theories (even from prominent experts. I put it down to individualities in fishermen and their techniques, even down to really minor things t you might not consider, like confidence in your ability. It could also just be location specific. So in short you gotta find your own way based on snippets of knowledge that might work and many experimentation's that will mostly fail.

If you have the passion coupled with a near idiotic persistence (like me) you will come to turning points in your ability and 'luck'. My last major one for example was my fourth Jew ever, closely followed by numbers 5 through to 10 in a 45 min session on the way back to the ramp after a less than successful night. It was a bright full moon, clear water and three hours into the runout tide. we anchored over a reef that has a small amount of current over it, cast over the Back edge with very lightly weighted squid strips and pulled in one after the other (all small, but who cares at that point right!). I broke a huge drought of about 7 months and it began a string of success that has been getting better and better.

Now I can think of a few reasons (according to popular theory)why that night should have not been so good at that time, but it was.

The trouble was I got addicted to this spot after a lot of good sessions there and had no where else to go when it was quiet. After a little nudging from my best mate and fishing buddy I have tried other locals and ideas again and what do you know, it's going better than ever.

I hope this has provided some of you with at least a little encouragement if nothing else that although it's a hard road to travel, it's a very rewarding one when it goes well from time to time.

Happy Jewing

Dave

Hi i'm new to fishraider and have also been trying to catch a jew from the beach for about 3 months now using moon as my influence. Finally got one he was only about 60cm so released him and i caught him in a jew haunt that i heard was the old jew base for land-based fishermen around here on sunshine coast. But now find myself waiting for a nice gutter to form again. Haven't heard much about using livies on floats is this also a good jewie technique as i have another very snaggy spot if the gutters form and was thinking of throwing a live mullet out for a bash. Any info would be awesome as i can always get mullet between 5-50cm so waddyareckon.

thanx for all your awesome info

• 2 weeks later...

I got busted off by something v big at the deep water at the sea-side of Jerusalem Bay - it was high tide, full moon, about 7am, water very clear and warm (24 degrees), and barometer was probably 1020. I was fishing about 2 meters off the deep bottom with good fresh squid on triple-ganged 3/0 hooks. At first I thought I'd snagged on something sticking up from the bottom because my line wouldn't budge, but then it started moving, then pulling, then took off for the horizon and pretty close to the surface. Reading the posts above, it seems I put the drag on too heavily too soon, and got busted off. But the thing was, throughout the fight the line was being pulled very very smoothly - when it first started moving I thought it was a ray, but the leader (20lb) had been neatly severed, about 10cm up from where the hooks were.

The question is, was this a ray (smooth pulling) or a jew (right time, spot, and line breakage).

Should I try the same spot next month?

Hi All, I fish Parramatta river twice a week and it amazes me how many different places and baits that i have caught jewies on.. some days Squid and somedays fresh prawns with the dirty water....pilly heads another. I have my favourite spots but fishing the edges into the deeper water is the best i have found..Abbottsford, Gladesville, Greenwich, Lane Cover River, Iron Cove...heaps of great spots...and tides don"t seem to matter!

fish i have caught range from 50cm for 120cm.. When the river runs hardest....bait off the bottom works the best for me. I always have 3/4 different baits out...and see where the action goes....squid and fillets are my favourite baits......but nothing is better than getting a couples of jews on left over prawns....Makes you go WTF! Have a good one.

Edited by JDC

• 2 weeks later...

I got busted off by something v big at the deep water at the sea-side of Jerusalem Bay - it was high tide, full moon, about 7am, water very clear and warm (24 degrees), and barometer was probably 1020. I was fishing about 2 meters off the deep bottom with good fresh squid on triple-ganged 3/0 hooks. At first I thought I'd snagged on something sticking up from the bottom because my line wouldn't budge, but then it started moving, then pulling, then took off for the horizon and pretty close to the surface. Reading the posts above, it seems I put the drag on too heavily too soon, and got busted off. But the thing was, throughout the fight the line was being pulled very very smoothly - when it first started moving I thought it was a ray, but the leader (20lb) had been neatly severed, about 10cm up from where the hooks were.

The question is, was this a ray (smooth pulling) or a jew (right time, spot, and line breakage).

Should I try the same spot next month?

Sounds like a shark!

hey raiders

this is my first post ive been reading the forum for a while now and am going fishing on saturday night and early sunday morning.

i was wondering if berleying is a good idea for jewfish as i havent seen it in any posts so far

thanks little G

Edited by little G

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on a setup for jew fishing in the estuary (Bait), I am planning to fish the shoalhaven the week after easter. So what type of rig to use would be appreaciated. Sinker size, leader length and hook size etc. Your advice would be appreciated

regards

bigslick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to the advise on this post, and a length conversation with Jewgaffer during the week,

I too managed to get my first Jew over the weekend, fishing in an eddy just off a river point, in port hacking.

At 75 cm and 5 kilo, the silver creature hit the deck after a strong first run and 1 hour after the top of the tide, the atmosphere was priceless.

Lots of yakka, tailor and squid in the water.

Baits used, live yakka, filletted/butterflied yakka, butterflied slimey, tailor halves,

all caught and kept live in a bait tank using pilchards.

He took the butterflied slimey that was in the water for about an hour and a half on a running sinker

2 hook (8/0's mustad beaks) rig and the yakkas dead and live, tailor heads & tails in the water at the

same time, did not get a touch.

Lessons learnt,

1. Bait or bait fish must be present at the spot.

2. turn of the tide is prefered.

3. variety of large fresh dead and live baits is essential, as it appears they have a preference.

4. burley, burley burley.

Mr Rosebay.

post-3290-127285378917_thumb.jpg

hi guys this is my first post so here goes was up at berowra last week and got a jew on a strip of bonito, it measured 78cm not sure of weight but was a nice fish on light gear they sure do get the heart pumpin.

post-14292-127332221623_thumb.jpg

Edited by leigh 70

• 2 weeks later...

yer just found this site and joined !love chaseing jew and have been getting a few latly!! great read, went 4 a spin today with all the rain had here over the last few days !

gold bommer didnt pay off to day but its only amatter of time lol! going tommorrow night and have a few fresh squid ,should produce

let you'll know how i go!!

well there is really alot of great information here, this hopefully will get me my first jewie & then i can write some info here aswell. keep up with the good work people

cheers john

Hi guys,

I've been reading all the techniques closely and am a Jewfish virgin although I've caught plenty of Sydney Harbour Kingfish. Normally I fish with braid to a round sinker, swivel and a one meter fluorocarbon leader attached to a 6/0 circle hooks and a treble in a fresh squid - it's a killer rig, especially when trolling.

I've just learnt how to make a binimi twist and have added a 6 meter monofilament shock leader to my rig... Will this work on Jewfish and does anyone have any better rigs that are tried and tested?

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

First off, great thread! Especially for me starting to get into jewfish. I needed to know if i was going about the correct/best way for a landing a Jew.

My rig consists of main line braid twisted to a shock leader with a double hook rig for live yellowtails.

Now i've had one hookup with this but failed as i tried to lift it up onto the pier by rod & line only!.(Line snaped) but would it be better if i were to have a heavy sinker hold the yakka down in one spot or shall i leave it to swim freely wherever it wants too..like i have been doing ??

Thanks

BEACH JEWS...I fish gutters that run to my feet and straight out.3 rods, 1 with a whole fish such as mullet,salmon,tailor,blackfish or bream. This rod is left in spike and the bait is lobbed out by hand and fed to the current at least 3mtres from shore. Usually rigged on fixed twin 10/0 rigs.Rod 2 has a whole squid, always a southern,gently cast out with fixed twin rigs, hooks size depends on the size of the squid, usually have 9/0 and 6/0 for a good size squid. Rod 3 always has a strip of squid and is pelted out on a single 6/0 with a bait keeper hook on top piercing the tip of the squid thru the eye of the 6/0. All rods the longer the trace the better, and all running rigs on a dropper to a star sinker. All rods are left in holder and reels are in gear!!!!! Cheers... mim.

• 1 month later...

... Patience is the key to fishing for Jewies...

I have caught Soapies and Schoolies from when I was 9yo on the mid Nth Coast all in live Beach worms that I used to catch myself with my grandfather

My biggest so far is 93cm and just on 10kg taken from Lane Cove River on a strip of Chicken breast- I was berleying up with weetbix, bread, chicken strips and tuna oil for Bream when she hit and she turned straight towards me and I thought I had dropped her, a slow retreive saw me come up tight then mayhen started and after 2 sustained runs she was in the net, my wife was with me and she took up most of the boot of my Calais, and what a shock I got!

Have also caught a few from Broken Bay on the beaches my last one was 3 years ago- I've hooked and seen and lost models well over 15kg from Parra River in the last 2 years and have been busted off up Port Stephens on a fish that ran my half way along the beach on 30lb and a 35minute fight.

A few other tips:

1. Beach Jew like to hang out with School Sharks- they feed on the same fodder and are auite aggressive when they mix together. If you are catching School Sharks the Jew will be very very close, keep going and dont give up.

2. I've noticed that a few hours after last light when the taylor come in and school up on the beaches the Jew are pretty close- hence why taylor make gun baits for them

3. Live Beach worms are one of the best baits for big Jew from the beaches- my grandfather nailed one from Harrington Beach on 12lb mono and a 1/0 baitholder and a beach worm he had just caught, it ran from next to the breakwall in Harrington to the very far end of the beach which is technically Crowdy Head...thats 7km with a 50lb Jew attached! and his brother was chasing him up the beach in his 4WD.

4. Never lose your cool I can attest I have done so many times and lost big Jew under pressure- it helps if you have a mate with you who will keep you in check with the fish so you dont lose it like I have done SO many times.

5. Buig baits done mean BIG fish- the contrary is more common these days

6. Higher tides bigger than 1.4m usually produce more runs off the beaches then a smaller high tide or a low tide- the reason being is the Jew will come in close following the contours of the gutters looking for a feed- a higher tide gives you more of a buffer esp if you fish proper surfing beaches where the sandbars and gutters change regularly.

In the rivers and esp Parramatta and Lane Cove Rivers- the Jew will sit in close to structure on slack tides my mate nathan and I have found Jew in daytime on slack tides even in sandy areas where there is little current.

Places where there are lots of moored boats are also top spots the Jew can hide in the shadows of the boats and ambush their prey as it swims past- but beware- a big Jew will readily ping you on the moorings and I have had this happen several times around Gladesville and also in the uppoer reaches of Lane Cove- even fishing 30lb and 50lb with 60lb leader is no match for a rusty chain- this is the first palce they will head to once hooked!

Again as its been said before, find the bait schools you will locate the Jew, but tempting them to your hook is a different story!

Good luck lads

Anthony

:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my massive thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. As a relative 'newbie' it has been great to read thru a series of posts where many have shared sop much good wisdom.

Much appreciated. Have recently purchased upgraded boat, and planning to hit the hawkesbury at night for first season. Looking forward to cutting my teeth and doing some solid learning. This thread has been a great part of my research. .

Thanks again to all

• 2 months later...