Marine Park - Hawksbury Shelf?

Hodgey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmm - could be reason for concern here??

The National Parks Association does not have the power in themselves to enact these suggestions - they just agitate a lot & get people hot under the collar!

Having said that ....... I don't think Sydney Fishos would put up with major disruption to fishing the Hawkesbury & surrounds in the form of a Marine Park with lots of 'no fishing' zones! Especially if they are talking Newcastle to Shellharbour! :1yikes:

The current marine park up here goes from Forster to Newcastle already - they won't be happy till the whole coast line is off limits!!! As I understand it, a lot of the actual Sydney coast is already covered by some sort of "no take'' rules already!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hmmmmmm - could be reason for concern here??

The National Parks Association does not have the power in themselves to enact these suggestions - they just agitate a lot & get people hot under the collar!

Having said that ....... I don't think Sydney Fishos would put up with major disruption to fishing the Hawkesbury & surrounds in the form of a Marine Park with lots of 'no fishing' zones! Especially if they are talking Newcastle to Shellharbour! :1yikes:

The current marine park up here goes from Forster to Newcastle already - they won't be happy till the whole coast line is off limits!!! As I understand it, a lot of the actual Sydney coast is already covered by some sort of "no take'' rules already!

Roberta

Roberta ,

Good comment.....Ah! politics green votes and brown nosing.

As I've said before these idiots won't rest until there will not be an area within three mile of our entire coast that is not a marine Park.We are criminals, we kill fish and eat them We fish to our Fisheries bag limits, but we are still criminals. We pay fisheries our license fees each year while fisheries sit on their arses and say nothing and let it all happen around them...Now I'm cranky again ..Let's get rid of them I say.

Well you'll see that Clover Moore (a true representative of the majority) has kindly provided the email address of the Honorable Minister, Carmel Tebbutt.

dp.office@tebbutt.minister.nsw.gov.au.

I have taken the opportunity to email the Minister and tell her what I think. Here is what I wrote:

Dear Minister,

I would like to voice my disappointment with the perceived view that your office supports the introduction of a Sydney Marine Park. The unscientific rhetoric put forward by people such as Clover Moore on her website (which is where I found your email address), is typical of the misinformation used in political circles. It is little wonder people that people such as myself have little faith in the political system and politicians in general.

I can tell from experience that many see Labor as a party willing to sell it's soul for Green preferences in order to cling to power. And for what it is worth, they are Labor voters.

I urge you to not succumb to the political influence of the "extreme green agenda" and consider the overwhelming majority of people you represent.

Those who would like to use the natural resources of this state in a sustainable and responsible manner.

One would have thought that the very reason we have Fisheries is to facilitate the management of this natural resource. The exclusion of recreational fisherman from Marine Parks does not make sense, especially given the scientific evidence that refutes the unsubstantiated claims by people such as Clover Moore.

Here's hoping you'll consider my preferences.

Yours faithfully,

Mitch ******

I HOPE YOU WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND DO THE SAME IN A NON AGGRESSIVE MANNER. Let them know how you feel and play the same game the extreme greens do.

If this gets up it will be near impossible to reverse in the future and no scientific studies will then ever be conducted. Gee I wonder if divers will be allowed since Plunge diving at Clifton is a major sponser. The old divide all the users so there is no consistnt voice or logic against these proposals.

You would hope the BIA would ask some questions as well as if people can't fish they won't be selling boats and same if there ius a tackle stores association along with all fishing clubs but they all need to create a "charity not for profit"group to organise and admisnistrate their side of the story or they will never be heard.

National parks , maritime and a few other departments are all about empire building and the bigger the empire the more budget and grant funds ypu can entitle yourself to. Get all teh fee income up and keep increasing it more than CPI when it is all a community asset in the first place.

With the green groups having E letters and campains already formatted and addressed to all politicians and stakeholders it become a squeaky wheel that has a muh louder voice than it's real support but that is politics??

Edited by pelican

Good letter Mitch! Concise & to the point! I must have sent off 10 letters about the Trout hatcheries closing & haven't received acknowldgement yet, to any of them!! :mad3: The wheels of govt obviously turn slowly!

Roberta

Thanks for the links Hodgey. I've added my e-mail to what I hope will be a growing list.

I'm a moderate in most things and even agree in principle with the concept of needing to manage our marine resources. What totally gives me the *&*%# is the fact that so far none of the decisions or plans seem to based on anything more scientific than political opinion polls.

If a management plan was implemented based on strong science and an approach that demonstrated balance and an acknowledgment of the social and economic importance of recreational fishing, as well as environmental priorities, then a lot more people would be inclined to be positive.

As it is, I feel under attack often from people who never get closer to the marine environment than the water view from their favorite café. I want my children to be able to enjoy all that our marine environment has to offer... not just read about it in books.

:1badmood:

Slinky

I find it dissapointing of what has taken place already that is they implement these zones justified using consensus reports I'm at a loss to say no amount of objection iether written or verbal will alter the current goverment view the fact here is it's a green oriented goverment and with current popularity rates they will look for this green orientation to stay in power now on saying this it is in my eanest's I believe this it's self can be thier downfall there was no amount of real research undertaken there is no 10page dosier in point form out lining the need for sanctuary zones founded by science only the consensus reports so what I'm saying here is people need only be made aware of this and the real problems that there've ignored you see most people think its great (most people I mean people that don't know other wise unfortunatly to us that would be the consituants of this state)to see these sanctuarys but if we can show them really they have been deceived lied to denied the truth and ripped off of thier money then we might sway some minds to see our way all in all it is very sadening seeing it happen again these are extreme greens and they cause more detriment to the enviroment than they do good if we don't get on top of this it will just go ahead.

Greetings All

Well it didn't take long. The National Parks Association pushes for the entire NSW Coastline to be a Marine Park.

Below is the announcement sent to NPA supporters about the rerlease of their second report on the "Torn Blue fringe" their specious arguments about how and why fishing in NSW will be ultimately banned. Expect uncritical Politicians, out of work actors and others to hop on the bandwagon.

NOTE it comes out Thursday 4th December, just in time for the weekend press. Perhaps Nicky could be informed of the displeasure that nearly one million fishers will feel?

Protecting our oceans to benefit us all now and for future

Blue Is The New Green

We wanted you to be amongst the first to know that we are launching the biggest NSW marine sanctuary plan ever next Thursday, 4th December.

Thank you for your involvement in this campaign to date. Your support is very important to us.

Thursday's launch will unveil a proposal to gain marine sanctuary status for 20% of NSW oceans. This will include the creation of the largest urban marine park in the world and collectively result in over 200,000ha of completely protected marine sanctuaries reaching from Tweed Heads in the north to Cape Howe in the south.

Further information on the plan and how you can help will follow after the launch!

Thanks once again for your role in this campaign. We look forward to continuing to work together to help provide the world's best protection for NSW oceans and the marine life that calls it home.

Kind regards,

Nicky

Nicky Hammond

Marine Program Manager

National Parks Association of NSW

PO Box 337, Newtown NSW 2042

Tel: 02 9299 0000; Fax: 02 9290 2525

Email: marine@marine.org.au

Edited by PIN

if you want to fight these people you have to work out how to become a stakeholder like the scuba people have. Don't be fooled by their name and they are very effective lobby just like greenpeace and Wilderness society. They are focused on the area that is the 2 miles coastal strip controlled by State Governments.

"Who is NPA?

National Parks Association of NSW (NPA) is a non-profit, non-government conservation group working to protect, restore and explore NSW natural areas.

Established in 1957, NPA has now grown to become the largest member-based conservation organisation in the state.

With 19 branches, over 5000 members and more than 500 active volunteers, NPA has an outstanding reputation having achieved many significant conservation outcomes over its 50 year history."

When actually this is who they are

Creator and Lead Stakeholder

NPA~Marine is the marine sector of the National Parks Association of NSW, a non-profit, non-government conservation organisation dedicated to protecting natural areas in NSW.

NPA~Marine is actively campaigning for an increase in marine protected areas in NSW and for habitat protection for the critically endangered Grey Nurse Shark. NPA~Marine involves and educates the community in marine conservation issues.

So they not only lobby govt for more funding to create their empire they also get donations , membership , industry and volunteers for support. Just building a bigger empire and supported by politicians and whatever political wind blows at the time.

Be nice if there was a bit more real properly funded science to it all.

Maybe our fishing Lic should go towards a fishing park. I propose a 2 mile wide strip on the NSW coast!!!!!

Edited by pelican

Well if this is not a green vote grab I don't know what is this is what I've just sent in reply to the hawksbury region to <dp.office@tebbett.minister.nsw.gov.au> I'm at a lost to believe this will be considered you people use ad hoc hear say consensus reports to justify sanctuary zones but fail to address any real matter in marine biodeversity.I suggest you people have a hard look at the retail fishing industry in NSW ***** bigW rebels a shop JILLLNNL;s BCF just to name a few and begin to understand just how many toes will be trud on and the commercial sector with Mr Rees slashing in this state will another buyout be considered or will commercial guys just be granted permission to continue as/nomal only adding to the absurb ludickry off all this.This will be one of many issues that will add to this current goverments downfall so go ahead go for the extreme green vote and watch it bite you on the backside. That is what I sent today we need to approach the shadow goverment about this and we should do it now put our case forward and fight this all the way.

A bit of advice for all those who are against this ... dont say that you are against marine parks in total .. if you do they will disregard everything you say.

You need to say that you are against "no recreational fishing zones"

Marine parks will happen!

I'm not against marine parks but when they are founded on consensus no research and they fail to address genuine issues I think there is a problem now when they show us the research whom performed it the problem been adressed and how a sanctuary will benifit if they want marine parks put it 200nautical mile offshore and beyond where they can really benifit what are they trying to protect? red mowrong? 97.5% of the species in these zones are migratory these are just pig headed people with no respect for anyone else what are they trying to protect?seagrasses grey nurse shark white pointers tell me all of witch will make no difference in any of these areas.These people cause more detriment and thats the bottom line what?5000members of the npa we far outway them in numbers we are in the millions let our voice be heard yes we need sanctuary for our piscatorial life but based on informed matter data and collected research done without bias or preference to who governs our state.Wer've got the rest of the world fishing our international watersdue to the fact of thier own water been fished desertless now tell me who is addressing that?these clowns are arrogant ignorant and would not now a problem in our ocean if it bit them on the backside.

Another letter sent.

the issue that doesnt really come up is that green groups and national parks are now being hijacked by animal liberationists, a very tolerant bunch indeed,not

Hello Paul Gibson.

I have never felt the need to write to a politician before but now i do. The National Parks Association is now pushing for a marine park to be implemented along the entire NSW coast as well as a proposal for a marine park from around Newcastle to Wollongong area. i feel this would take away a popular recreational pastime for thousands of your constituants and possibly millions around NSW not forgetting tourism and direct services such as fishing outlets,fishing charters and boat and trailer sales, repairs and rego, as well as excise on fuel sold on the water(another issue).Not forgetting the NSW fishing fee.

While marine parks have their place,they are only as good as the planning that goes into them and the zonings within should not be dictated by one group of people with their own radical agendas. i thought we had a Fisheries Department in this state to maintain a sustainable fishery, for all interested groups.

Looking at the number of boats while driving through the electorate you can imagine the number of voters who have similar feelings to myself.

Good letter Mitch! Concise & to the point! I must have sent off 10 letters about the Trout hatcheries closing & haven't received acknowldgement yet, to any of them!! :mad3: The wheels of govt obviously turn slowly!

Roberta

Roberta,

Did you email them or snail mail?

My understanding is that pollies are not obliged to reply to an email but are legally bound to reply to snail mail.

Snail mail is definitely the way to go when corresponding with these people as they have to read your letter and think about a reply.

If every one that is popping off emails could take the time to print it out, sign it and pop it in the post the pollies real inbox would be full and they may take a little more notice.

:thumbup:

Greetings All

Roberta .. this is different issue to the Hawkesbury Shelf bioregion Marine Park. The National Parks Association, an effective lobby group based in Sydney, is NOW lobbying for the ENTIRE NSW Coast to be a Marine Park, and 30% of the ENTIRE Coastline to be a "no take" sanctuary zone. That is 200,000 hectares of sanctuary zone (3 nautical miles to sea for about 400kms of NSW Coastline)

Fishers will be brave if they ignore this from the rat-bag NPA

Do NOT forget ... Marine Parks are NOT the issue. It is the no take sanctuary zones on beaches and in Estuaries that will do absolutely NOTHING for the environment, biodiversity or improving fishing elsewhere. All they do is ban fishing, they offer no other protection at all. In the Batemans Marine Park you can drag your anchor all the way across a SZ, no problems, yet bring out a fish hook and it costs you $550

A small sub note Professor kearney will be on the Sydney fishing show early on Sunday morning. I think it is 2KY?

Funny you should mention that .....

Got an email reply from the Premiers Dept today!! I had already sent one to the other departments mentioned anyway, but have yet to hear from them!!

Roberta

Dear Ms Pearce

The Premier has received your recent email concerning the closure of the Gaden Trout Hatchery.

As the matter you have raised primarily concerns the administration of the Minister for Primary Industries, Minister for Energy, Minister for Mineral Resources, and Minister for State Development, the Hon I M Macdonald, MLC, the Premier has arranged to bring your approach to the Minister’s attention.

You may be sure that your comments will receive close consideration.

Yours sincerely

Vanessa Karkousi

Office of the Premier

Greetings All

Well it didn't take long. The National Parks Association pushes for the entire NSW Coastline to be a Marine Park.

Below is the announcement sent to NPA supporters about the rerlease of their second report on the "Torn Blue fringe" their specious arguments about how and why fishing in NSW will be ultimately banned. Expect uncritical Politicians, out of work actors and others to hop on the bandwagon.

NOTE it comes out Thursday 4th December, just in time for the weekend press. Perhaps Nicky could be informed of the displeasure that nearly one million fishers will feel?

Protecting our oceans to benefit us all now and for future

Blue Is The New Green

We wanted you to be amongst the first to know that we are launching the biggest NSW marine sanctuary plan ever next Thursday, 4th December.

Thank you for your involvement in this campaign to date. Your support is very important to us.

Thursday's launch will unveil a proposal to gain marine sanctuary status for 20% of NSW oceans. This will include the creation of the largest urban marine park in the world and collectively result in over 200,000ha of completely protected marine sanctuaries reaching from Tweed Heads in the north to Cape Howe in the south.

Further information on the plan and how you can help will follow after the launch!

Thanks once again for your role in this campaign. We look forward to continuing to work together to help provide the world's best protection for NSW oceans and the marine life that calls it home.

Kind regards,

Nicky

Nicky Hammond

Marine Program Manager

National Parks Association of NSW

PO Box 337, Newtown NSW 2042

Tel: 02 9299 0000; Fax: 02 9290 2525

Email: marine@marine.org.au

Slowly, slowly cacthey monkey. This is the modus operandee that the NPA take , for they are here forever not like ourselves. Many scientific studies will show that by the taking of one prawn and the catching of one fish will completely upset the biodiversity of all NSW costal waters. Scientists and and their hangers on can and will prove this for they have BA, SC D,DH D, KE PH, or any number of academia letters to their names to back them. No commonsense facts will filter through to these neo nazis for the goal is resolute, that is to ban fishing for any species, eventually. They are a force that can grant a negotiated settlement for now but their ultimate policy is to control all NSW waters and thereby ban fishing as we know it today.

I am sorry to say that the rot has now set in and since this appeasement to the NPA has been allowed they will not stop just as Hitler did not stop at the Sudentland, Austria, Poland, The Balkans etc. The problem we have is that Our parliament is in favor of such innovations.

Slowly, slowly cacthey monkey. This is the modus operandee that the NPA take , for they are here forever not like ourselves. Many scientific studies will show that by the taking of one prawn and the catching of one fish will completely upset the biodiversity of all NSW costal waters. Scientists and and their hangers on can and will prove this for they have BA, SC D,DH D, KE PH, or any number of academia letters to their names to back them. No commonsense facts will filter through to these neo nazis for the goal is resolute, that is to ban fishing for any species, eventually. They are a force that can grant a negotiated settlement for now but their ultimate policy is to control all NSW waters and thereby ban fishing as we know it today.

I am sorry to say that the rot has now set in and since this appeasement to the NPA has been allowed they will not stop just as Hitler did not stop at the Sudentland, Austria, Poland, The Balkans etc. The problem we have is that Our parliament is in favor of such innovations.

Ross,

We have fought tooth and nail against this including articles in my web site on the closure of Pretty beach and sanctuary zones prior to the last election. I knew once they got a foot in the door they would want more all without any study at all. Bloody koala cuddlers running off with emotional drool..We fishermen are being treated like criminals and being bullied around like a political football by a party who will be brown nosing to the greens to scrape thru in the next elections. If fisherman do not vote for them it may sway their thoughts, but believe me the Green preferences are all that will get them home.

I am meeting with the shadow politicians at parliment house soon to see what the Nats and the Libs will do if we vote for them ..will be interesting indeed.

Roscoe visit we site and go into Fishing Stories and Hints then scroll back to Pretty Beach storyMy Webpage

Paper Letters sent (addresses included for your reference):

The Hon Carmel Tebbutt,

Level 30,

Governor Macquarie Tower,

1 Farrer Place,

SYDNEY NSW 2000

4th December 2008

Re: The proposed 103,000-hectare Sydney Marine Park

Dear Madam,

I have been made aware of a new proposal for a Marine Park on Sydney's coast and up to three kilometres offshore.

You will be aware that the philosophy behind the current Marine Parks is flawed and is based on dubious scientific research, much of which was conducted overseas and in dissimilar environmental situations.

I would refer to the many papers published by Professor Robert Kearney.

I and many other like minded fishers are fundamentally in favour of environment and fish stock protection, but it needs to be effective and justified scientifically. So far it has not.

I would urge you to propose research into effectively managing these valuable resources rather than allowing terms to be dictated by extreme minority groups like the NPA who have a declared vested interest.

I would add that if this is being done as a vote buying exercise then the Green preference votes are likely to come the way of the Labor party anyway, alternatively, if this is being done as an idealistic measure, then please declare this openly and I will align myself with another party, despite having a lifelong voting history for Labor, such is my depth of feeling on this issue.

Sincerely,

neilm

CC: The Hon. Nathan Rees,

GPO Box 5341,

SYDNEY NSW 2001

Hi guys

Is anyone aware of the legalities behind marine parks, ie the international convention the federal government is a signatory to which states that by law there must be a marine park in each bioregion within a certain period. I recall this being mentioned during the previous marine park fiasco and used by McDonald as an excuse for not being able to rescind the legislation. PS Macdonald is about to retire this also may be pertinent at this time.

Maniak

Cheers Stewy I do note there seams to be 2 forums on this at the momement in this section in relpy to Mrs swordy I've just got todays paper and it seams to be agreed on we did not object to zones wich had undergone proper scientific study I've said before of these peoples arogance and no regard for other people and the popularity matter with this current goverment whom may well use this as a last ditch vote grab I say Stewy we organize a meeting invite members from all forums find prominent people willing to voice against this and establish numbers to show this current goverment what they will be up against Mr Reese has already trud on toes I need not go into that and they would be on thin ice as is they can can not conclusivelly state with facts research and study any fundamental reason they can prove why this can go ahead and it needs to be voiced what a farce this all is but all the while keeping composed cool calm and collective I know Cpt Ross Hunter and Mr John dunphy will be meeting with the shadow goverment it will be nice if we can give them a kind of indication of support.I'm of the opinion with thier evidence based on formulated opinion any Magistrate worth his salt would overturn any decision made and any decision made in the future in respect to sanctuary zones I'm of the belief ther've Ignored real problem with the ocean and estuary's i.e Tuna stocks i.e siltation protecting mangrove you get my drift.Bob Carr causedmore damage in one week in the bush than 1004wld would do in 20 yrs Bulldozing the tracks to keep them out lets not curtail to these nogooders and let them get thier greedy way.Cherio for now untill the next devlopment

We are not going to stand for any more of this bullshit.

It is time to band together and show these fools how much power we all have collectively.

If anyone has suggestions on this ? please forward them to fishraider@iinet.net.au

We are going to make some NOISE !!!!!!! and a lot of it.

Regards Admin

Stewy, just tell us when and where..

We need to be very abusive in our emails, that way they will know we are serious!