Marine Park - Hawksbury Shelf?

Hodgey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This needs a concerted combined effort. Look at the way the Shooters united and formed the shooters party and what they have achieved, two members in the NSW Senate. We need to band together and form an association just like our opponents. Ross your mate ET would be a good figure head well connected and respected. Support could/should come from the likes of BLAH BLAH BLAH, BCF, BLA, Shimano, BRP, Yamaha etc etc (apologies on breaking of site rules on these names) these corporations will be directly affected by these sorts of decisions and should support us.

We need a meeting chaired by someone with experience and get delegations organized and get going on lobbying. Perhaps the Shooters party can offer some assistance in getting going? As most shooters I know share the same respect for the environment and sport.

achjimmy

Your reference to TSP needs to be aired

John Tingle supported the NSW ALP when the Marine Park Bill hit the floor in 1997 and failed to speak up for recreational fishers with any concerns of lock outs or no-fishing zones or business failures or downturns because of its intro.

Mr Tingle also supported the ALP in Nov 2000 on the Marine Park Bill amendments, again no support or grandstanding for recreational anglers or businesses with lock-outs or no fishing zones.

As a matter of fact I cannot recall or find any Hansard reports of Mr Tingle mentioning or supporting recreational fishers in his 12 years in the Upper House. I do realise he was representing shooters and maybe once led a delegation of commercial fishers to the Minister but fishing was absent in his recorded representation.

I also cannot research (yet) any facts of where TSP has publicly campaigned against the NSW ALP fishing decisions other than slap on the wrist dorothy dixer's. I do know they are campaigning to split and seek the fishing vote which has proven to be a threat to the ALP as what happened in the seat of Port Stephens and which will certainly carry on if there is any more stupid lock-outs by stealth as in this latest green religious agenda.

The fishing community needs its own political voice (s) and be a voting threat as the greens do otherwise you can lobby until the cows come home. TFP has tried and will continue if it can muster candidates for marginal seats in the House of Reps plus the Upper House.

Bob Smith

I FISH I VOTE (the only way they-ALP and Coalition understand if it can be harnessed)

:1fishing1::thumbup:

achjimmy

John Tingle supported the NSW ALP when the Marine Park Bill hit the floor in 1997 and failed to speak up for recreational fishers with any concerns of lock outs or no-fishing zones or business failures or downturns because of its intro.

Mr Tingle also supported the ALP in Nov 2000 on the Marine Park Bill amendments, again no support or grandstanding for recreational anglers or businesses with lock-outs or no fishing zones.

As a matter of fact I cannot recall or find any Hansard reports of Mr Tingle mentioning or supporting recreational fishers in his 12 years in the Upper House. I do realise he was representing shooters and maybe once led a delegation of commercial fishers to the Minister but fishing was absent in his recorded representation.

I also cannot research (yet) any facts of where TSP has publicly campaigned against the NSW ALP fishing decisions other than slap on the wrist dorothy dixer's. I do know they are campaigning to split and seek the fishing vote which has proven to be a threat to the ALP as what happened in the seat of Port Stephens and which will certainly carry on if there is any more stupid lock-outs by stealth as in this latest green religious agenda.

The fishing community needs its own political voice (s) and be a voting threat as the greens do otherwise you can lobby until the cows come home. TFP has tried and will continue if it can muster candidates for marginal seats in the House of Reps plus the Upper House.

Bob Smith

I FISH I VOTE (the only way they-ALP and Coalition understand if it can be harnessed)

Bob,

This is my letter in my column in the local newspaper The Leader and soon to be posted on my web site My Webpage Regards

Ross

MARINE PARK ISSUE

WE’VE BEEN HOODWINKED

I find it unbelievable that there is a solid push by the Greens and others to implement a Marine Park from Pt Stephens in the north to Bateman’s Bay in the south and in doing so lock out recreational fisherman. This means that their will be few places for us anglers to fish within three mile of the coastline from Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Pt Stephens to Narooma.

There has never been any scientific study prior to any of the existing marine parks as to wether they will have any effect on fish stocks.

As a professional charter Captain and a fisherman of 50 years I know that it won’t. You see all of our species that travel through marine parks are migratory?

Fish such as bream, blackfish, mullet, salmon, long tail tuna, tailor, snapper are all travelling or migratory species and do not live in any area for long, they travel constantly moving into rivers and estuaries to spawn.

It seems as though the Greens, who in my opinion do not have a clue about the issue and certainly have no scientific research to back up their issues are hell bent on treating recreational fisherman as criminals for wanting to pursue their favourite pass time.

You see we work under strict fisheries bag limits and according to Professor Kearney,

One of Australia’s foremost and most respected marine scientists.

Quote “Recreational fishos are being hoodwinked by these Marine Parks and the lack of research” said the Professor at a recent meeting.

We are being treated like criminals by the Greens and it is up to every recreational fisherman to think very clearly about what is happening and write to their Local Members and Ministers involved.

If these Marine Parks are brought in by an easily led NSW Labour government, hanging their hat on Green preferences, a Government that is currently flailing in the popularity polls. They will certainly suffer lack of support by the recreational angler at the next elections.

The attempted locking out of recreational anglers in Marine Parks (and there are two million of us) will back fire on them, we are not criminals, we are fishermen and we have the right when we buy our fishing licenses and tackle and pay our taxes each year to go fishing where and when we like within the laws of the state.

It is most interesting that America has just passed legislation that “Every USA recreational fisherman shall have the right to fish in any Marine Park in America” and that’s how it should be for us. So no more listening to the Greens and their “hanger ons”, they are wrong as the USA has recently accepted, they have no research to back up any of their claims. You cannot put a fence around fish.

DON’T VOTE FOR THEM

Simply don’t vote for them and protest their every move in the Marine Park issue.

Sorry to be on my “Soap box’ and the lack of Fishing Reports but I had to say my bit about one of the biggest issues that recreational anglers will ever face and together we must band and fight.

Ross Hunter

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think that is absolutely ludacris. If they make sydney harbour surroundings a marine park then thats virtually an entire industry and favourite aussie pastime GONE. As many raiders have already said the key to sustainment is managing your fishing and takin only whats needed, thus keeping the ecosystem healthy.

To put a ban on fishing completely is just plain stupid and absolutely unneccesary; where are the thousands of anglers who live on the marine park suposed to go to wet a line??

JB

Making marine parks is crap if your got half a brain the problem is commercial fishing they are shocking what they do they dont care about anything except making monie get rid of them all and I don,t care if they cant make monie like they dont care if I catch a fish to eat long liners trawlers I hope they all go broke which they will come a time its not worth going out if it keeps going.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know why the NSW oppostion has removed there "Marine park Disallowance" motions from the so called Council notice paper last month in State parliment?

achjimmy

Bob Smith

Bob in my posts I dont think i ever suggested the TSP stood up for anglers (they have there own agendas) its just i know a lot of shooters who fish. I just said that anglers should take a leaf from there book and create a single voice.

• 1 year later...

I have seen documentries about pro fishers catching then releasing dead fish, how is that management :1badmood: why not set these people a weight target, what ever they catch in that weight target they sell, end of story.

I mean they catch and release tonnes of dead fish just to get there quoter on legal fish how pathetic and they reckon were are the problem :1badmood:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...