First Time Fishing For Marlin@eden,nsw,,any Hints&tips Would Be Great

hey guys,,this is my 1st post so im pretty excited to get such priceless knowledge from such a widespread group of keen as fisho's.im headed to eden,nsw this year and have read jus about every forum here and every site i could find on catching marlin, i got to bed dreaming at night of actually doing it,, :1fishing1: not the catch as of yet but just to be in the right waters and even in with a chance,. the only thing im lacking at the moment is local knowledge of the area, and local chariteristics of the area,,.......as to what marlin will be in the area at that time of year,,how far will i be goin to be in with a chance,,what lures and rigs work better than others and so on,, also i have outriggers but havnt really been shown how to use them,, after reading some bits and pieces on raider about riggers,, im still a little lost with the lingo & terms you guys refer to,, so maybe if possible a basic rundown would save me a few hours maybe days on the water trying to figure them out,

thanks a heap guys n gals

and I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT COMES BACK

cheers

LOL. Firstly or Secondly do yourself a favour and go on a charter, you may learn a few basic things before loosing things.

Secondly or Firstly depending on where you live, M8 join a Game Fishing Club. The benefits are endless

Thirdly Good Luck :beersmile:

I agree, if you can't get a local bloke or 2 to come out for a fish with you then definately go on a local charter. Be a total sponge for the day and ask plenty of questions. It may seem like an expensive excercise but so is trolling around in a great big ocean burning massive amounts of fuel before things start to click into place and you won't be second guessing yourself as to whether your doing the right things.

Best of luck Shane.

May I ask why you chose Eden ?

Definately get on a charter first time round, and if your really keen come a bit further north to bermagui or Batemans bay for a really good chance of getting your first marlin. the charter guys know where the fish are and generally have exceptional results.

Feel free to PM me for a good operator in the area.

thanks a heap guys,, it didnt enter my mind goin on a charter having my own boat and all the gear but as mentioned they do it for a living and if im going to learn it,, i may as well sponge it up from the top guns,,

im from melbourne so theres not much on the game fishing menu,, clubs or fishing!!!

as i said thanks again guys,,not really what i wanted to hear,, but pretty much what i needed to hear,, as quoted,, patience is a virtue,,, and i was jumping the gun,,lol,,

im off to book myself and a mate a charter to get all the basics down pat,,

tight lines boys and as for my 1st post and replys,, i couldnt be happier and a massive 10 out of 10 to fishraider this place is UNREAL!

till next time guys

cheers

thanks a heap guys,, it didnt enter my mind goin on a charter having my own boat and all the gear but as mentioned they do it for a living and if im going to learn it,, i may as well sponge it up from the top guns,,

im from melbourne so theres not much on the game fishing menu,, clubs or fishing!!!

as i said thanks again guys,,not really what i wanted to hear,, but pretty much what i needed to hear,, as quoted,, patience is a virtue,,, and i was jumping the gun,,lol,,

im off to book myself and a mate a charter to get all the basics down pat,,

tight lines boys and as for my 1st post and replys,, i couldnt be happier and a massive 10 out of 10 to fishraider this place is UNREAL!

till next time guys

cheers

Mate there are some good dvd's out now and these will give you some of the basics and give you enough to get started.Dont know your situation as far as travelling and the boat you have but I too would like to know why you chose Eden there are much better spots further North that would increases your chance of a beakie ten fold. I agree with the others here that the club scene will be invaluable and a charter would also be good idea. It really sounds like your keen so if you need any more info on boat setup,gear etc you can PM me or call me on 0402473758. Good luck

P.S mate I think JB would be ideal to catch your fist beakie shelf close to shore heaps of fish great place.

Edited by Reel Game

Mate there are some good dvd's out now and these will give you some of the basics and give you enough to get started.Dont know your situation as far as travelling and the boat you have but I too would like to know why you chose Eden there are much better spots further North that would increases your chance of a beakie ten fold. I agree with the others here that the club scene will be invaluable and a charter would also be good idea. It really sounds like your keen so if you need any more info on boat setup,gear etc you can PM me or call me on 0402473758. Good luck

P.S mate I think JB would be ideal to catch your fist beakie shelf close to shore heaps of fish great place.

hi you could buy or download peter pakula's "between the lines" heaps of info from lures to rigging

cheers steve :thumbup:

hey guys,,this is my 1st post so im pretty excited to get such priceless knowledge from such a widespread group of keen as fisho's.im headed to eden,nsw this year and have read jus about every forum here and every site i could find on catching marlin, i got to bed dreaming at night of actually doing it,, :1fishing1: not the catch as of yet but just to be in the right waters and even in with a chance,. the only thing im lacking at the moment is local knowledge of the area, and local chariteristics of the area,,.......as to what marlin will be in the area at that time of year,,how far will i be goin to be in with a chance,,what lures and rigs work better than others and so on,, also i have outriggers but havnt really been shown how to use them,, after reading some bits and pieces on raider about riggers,, im still a little lost with the lingo & terms you guys refer to,, so maybe if possible a basic rundown would save me a few hours maybe days on the water trying to figure them out,

thanks a heap guys n gals

and I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT COMES BACK

cheers

Having been a marlin skipper for 40 years, there is no quick fix It is a matter of going out there and learning your trade and that learning curve never stops. You could visit our web site and go into "Fishing Stories and Hints" There is a good in depth guide there for any marlin enthusiast. Scroll back to "How To catch striped, black and blue marlin"... Hope it helps..Click on this link.My Webpage

Ross Hunter

The only way to catch Marlin is to fish for them, and keep fishing for them. I dont believe that experience can come from anything but time on the water. Always remember that Marlin are top predators, they need to eat and they to eat a lot, get up to speed with where your bait source is down there and those Marlin won't be too far away...

cheers - Bat