Up The Coast Again.....

GregL

Hi fellow Raiders.

Another north coast adventure.....

Fished Monday tuesday this week for a little change. Headed up early Monday for a 9am launch then a 45min run out to Broughton. Fishing was very slow.......

Saw a mini marlin finning around the reefs plus some massive schools of slimmies getting smashed, they won't be long now boys!

Tuesday morning a change of plan. "Bugger it lets move to a new area" was the call. We packed up and again we didn't hit the water till 9ish. Water looked way better than the last area. Blue clear and inviting. Bait every where and yep the reds were on the chew! :thumbup:

We only had a few hour window as a wind change was due around lunch and I had to get back to Sydney for a function by 7:30pm. Again fishing the ever reliable 4"Pogy (no matter what colour) 1/2oz 5/0 jig heads we picked up an averge of at least a fish per drift. Not to bad when you crunch the numbers over short 15min drifts.

This time the pannies where there in numbers but as always there were some bloody crackers mixed in. This just makes it so hard to decide on what outfit to throw. To light and get smoked every time, to heavy and get less bites. Gus threw 14lb leader for most of the trip, yeah he got the bites but none in the well!

Ev and I threw 20lb and got most fish to the boat......

One of the better fights I have ever seen fishing was Evan and his PB cracker......

In 10m on the edge of a raise to 7m we were coming to the end of our drift area. 3 Pogy's go sailing out as far as we could chuck em. Wind in the slack and with an amazing take Evan's reel starts screaming like only Daiwas can. The line heads out to deeper water "we're in with a chance" well so we thought!

All of a sudden we can see the rod tip bouncing as it's being dragged threw the kelp, oh no!

Few more metres and the fish stops......

Thinking he'd been done, with plenty of cursing going on Evan starts ripping the rod back and forth trying to snap it off, "NO WTF are you doing, it might be still there, stick it in free spool you idiot!"

Would you belived it swam out? :thumbup:

but then

It turned around and swam straight back in again!

At least now the line was clear of the kelp. With good line angles, boat driving and plenty of sh1t stirring big red slowly raises up from the bottom. First site of it :1yikes: "OMFG it's a horse!" Deep red colouration, beautifully lit up spots, what a beautiful fish....

In the net it went and what a cracker fish!

Evan's new PB 90cm+

post-3563-1228283987_thumb.jpg

Well done mate, that was the most epic battle and was a pleasure just to witness it!

post-3563-1228284045_thumb.jpg

A fish like this is just way to beautiful to kill....

post-3563-1228284498_thumb.jpg

He is a couple of nice 4-5kgs

post-3563-1228284596_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1228284705_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1228284686_thumb.jpg

And finally one that Gus got to the boat! :074: Change to 20lb leader you fool!

post-3563-1228284856_thumb.jpg

Well another sucessful trip and well worth the drive!

Cheers

Greg

Edited by GregL

Well done Greg great report again.

Mate kick me when im down why dont you.lol.

Hats of to Evan for the biggest fish of the year so far.

To all raiders wanting to know how heavy this fish was im saying 20 lbs easy.

Greg no risk im putting the light line away for good now, but this year ive caught 3 snapper over 15lbs on that leader size and was very happy to fish that light.

Not any more !

Thanks to Greg and Evan for another great trip away.

Guys thanks for your comments :blush:

The 2 guys that have shown me the way I must mention and that's Evan and Clay(csg). They were the ones that took me out on the first trip where I scored my first true snapper on plastics but I recon we still are only scratching the surface on this style of fishing.

We spoke about this on the weekend whilst on the boat.

Theres nothing special in what we are doing, if you can plastics for flatties, you can catch reds......

Fish the up current edges of reef and KEEP THE FAITH!

The biggest hurdle is the first as always.....

Day one we kept casting an extra 4 hours in crap conditions because of one monster run that ended in a pulled hook......

Everyone on board just wanted to be the next person get another run like that!

Your only one cast away from a fish of a life time or the fish thats going to make the trip......

As Mike Iaconelli from Bass Masters says "Never give up!"

A few little things that make life SO MUCH easier doing this style of fishing.

-We fish open boats so anglers can fish the whole side of the boat. Clay has a nice little 5m centre console and I have mine.

-We fish 8ft high quality spin rods to maximise casting distance.

-Clay's boats got an electric motor so in no wind we still can create a fast enough drift to cover ground.

So that's about it. Nothing special.....

Cast your butts off and the harder you fish the high the reward.

Greg

Cast your butts off and the harder you fish the high the reward.

Greg

Thanks for the tips Greg, i must say i have only ever caught one pan sizer on an sp and that was years ago when SP's were in their infancy. it seems this is a common technique now so (armed with inspiration from your report) I think im off to give it a serious try now.

Well done fella.

B

Hey Fellas,

Top Report. Theres some quality snapper there and ocean conditions look perfect.

Good to see you actualy getting out of the office Ev and getting stuck into some fishing!

Greg that 80cm fish is a stonker!! Whoa! :wacko:

Good one fellas.

Cheers Cam

Edited by soft-on