Livebaiting Braid Off The Rocks?

Hey guys just wondering if any of you use spinning reels with braid to livebait off the rocks...

I was just about to buy a stella 8000 or possibly a tld 25 of some sort .... With the stella i want to load up about 50lb braid and use it for land based off the rocks with slimeys under a float....

Ill be targetting longtail tuna off bermagui and harrington... sometimes getting up to 20KG +.....

But only twice a year i do at as the stella would be my big harbour kingy livebaiting reel....

Worth it or not?

Brad

Edited by braddles

i would think carefully about a stella on the rocks, all my regular rock gear eventually goes for a roll around on its safety line. but if your locations have good security with good rod holders it may be different.

i prefer to be able to freespool livies so i use a baitrunner or lever drag.

i have found braid to be a headache for livebaiting as it floats,catches the wind more and tangles up,particularly around the balloon and leader and double.

if its only for occasional use maybe throw on a mono topshot before each outing.

Hey guys just wondering if any of you use spinning reels with braid to livebait off the rocks...

I was just about to buy a stella 8000 or possibly a tld 25 of some sort .... for land based off the rocks with slimeys under a float....

Ill be targetting longtail tuna off bermagui and harrington... sometimes getting up to 20KG +.....

Brad

Hi Braddles Alvey reels are well suited to fishing off the rocks using 40 lb Mono ..... Using live or dead bait under a good size float and setting up your float so that the bait is about a metre off the bottom is the best way to go. Otherwise you may have to hook up on a fish just about every cast to get your gear back..... Before you set up, spend a minute checking the depth by selecting your lightest drop shot sinker to hold the float upright and raising the sinker about a metre just as the float starts to tilt like blackfish fishermen checking for depth would do.... Knitting wool makes a good float stopper but needs to be fine enough to cast thru the guides.... Give the wool one turn over the line and tie a granny knot above the line with one extra turn and pull the knot in as tight as you can.

I prefer to find safe high and dry ledges with deep water within casting distance, preferably ledges jutting out from other rocks especially with water lapping in under them and a little alcove going to the side of other rocks - It would be safer to have a flying gaff with rope rather than climbing down to the water's edge trying to gaff your fish.

Rather than Harrington I would chose Hat Head. Hathead has close proximity to the shelf and while it's is best known for game fishing off the rocks there are plenty of good jewfish for rock hoppers prepared to make the walk in the afternoon, fish in a safe place at night and come back in the daylight.

As to down south, Green Cape is the furtherest point out to sea off the coast line and there are the wrecks of old ships close to the rocks on the open side and several ships were wrecked on the Disaster Bay side and in some cases all on onboard were lost to the sea.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I was just about to buy a stella 8000 or possibly a tld 25 of some sort .... With the stella i want to load up about 50lb braid and use it for land based off the rocks with slimeys under a float....

But only twice a year i do at as the stella would be my big harbour kingy livebaiting reel....

Worth it or not?

Brad

Geez pal for the price of a stella buy a tld 50 the perfect reel to live bait of the rocks spooled iether 15or24kg I would avoid using braid for Lbg 1stly it dosn't have the same abrasion resistance of mono 2ndly its expensive I would look around if you want a threaline to use in the habour still and get a saragosa and you can use this for spinning from the rocks and in the harbour the cost of both these reels would buy one stella but look around first and find a good deal.

Mate, you can't beat the tld 25's for durability and performance for longtails and cobes. Spooled up with 15kg mono, 60lb trace,un wieghted livies, and alot hours on the ledges. Not too familar with south coast ledges but. Also the tld's are light wieght for those long walks. Harbour Kings are a different style of fishing and I don't think you can get a compromise outfit that will do both perfectly. You might be only on the rocks a couple of times a year, so don't waste it. The the right gear. 1 tuna of the stones is worth a full season of harbour kings.

• 6 months later...