What Squid Jig Performs Better And What Colour

smoothaz

over 90% of my squid from the hacking are with the pink 1.8 yamashita I find not even my yo-zuris can match it :biggrin2:

Yeah the yamashita squid jigs smashed the squid today and even though i only had an hour of good weather i got 5,cheers and they are the bomb of squid jigs(i am sitting here eating my calamari). :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Yamashita naturals in blue, gold etc 1.8 and 2.5 depending on depth. Kills it.

honestly though, it's much more about location and technique than anything else. I've stood beside my mate using the new favourite naturals and got more than him using a cheap pink one by sure catch.

My favourite is a yo-zuri 2.5 pink and white hardbody sort of jig, it has no cloth around it and so even when the squid grabs it side on if you pull your line then it just slides through the squids grip and hooks them.

Otherwise the yamashita and daiwa jigs are great.

lol is it cheating to use the Squid Bar with a Pilly on it, i used to use that set up and get alot off of a jetty, it was good :thumbup:

Not that i know of, i still see the odd person using it, cheaper and more fiddly, jigs are probably the way to go but everything has its day

Guest Aussie007

the last week i have been out most nights very keen to catch a squid i was using tataki jigs that were reccomended by dave xxxxhhhggg the dude from foxtel i went into hes shop originally looking for the yo-zuri jigs as i heard they were the best so i brought what he had in stock and reccomended i didnt catch any squid on those jigs altho my cousin caught 2 so i went out and got a yo-zuri (orange 2.0) and a yamashita (pink 2.0) i went out squidding the night before last managed 2 small squid so the yamashita and yo-zuri look promissing altho the yamashita hooked up way faster than the yo-zuri both of there jigs are glow in the dark yamashita is a EGI-O Q KOGU the yo-zuri packet just has a Q and all japanese wrghting

the last week i have been out most nights very keen to catch a squid i was using tataki jigs that were reccomended by dave xxxxhhhggg the dude from foxtel i went into hes shop originally looking for the yo-zuri jigs as i heard they were the best so i brought what he had in stock and reccomended i didnt catch any squid on those jigs altho my cousin caught 2 so i went out and got a yo-zuri (orange 2.0) and a yamashita (pink 2.0) i went out squidding the night before last managed 2 small squid so the yamashita and yo-zuri look promissing altho the yamashita hooked up way faster than the yo-zuri both of there jigs are glow in the dark yamashita is a EGI-O Q KOGU the yo-zuri packet just has a Q and all japanese wrghting

Thanks to yall for the amazing response and i now have an absolute ball with the squid.I have enough for bait and food.

at the spots i hit, i find i get mini squid on mini jigs and the nice eating size ones on sizes 3.0 and up. give it a try. i reckon the bigger the jig the more noticeable it is in the water column and mostly the adult squid are brave enough to strike.

Also if you like to use big jigs but you're squidding in shallow water try trimming the weight down.

It makes the jig glide & stay horizontal in the water without snagging up in the kelp.

Deadly on big squid in shallow water.

Cheers,

Grant.

Also if you like to use big jigs but you're squidding in shallow water try trimming the weight down.

It makes the jig glide & stay horizontal in the water without snagging up in the kelp.

Deadly on big squid in shallow water.

Cheers,

Grant.

That's good advice, I'll give it a go because I keep catching weed when I let the jig sink for four seconds before striking. I havn't had any luck with the slow constant wind method, but have seen it used by other.

Any thoughts on a second rig that works by itself? Do "Patinoska" (bad spelling) rigs work? Or do the squid unhook themselfs with out constant pressure?

Andrew

Guest Aussie007

if your letting the jig sink for four seconds and hitting the bottom try letting it sink for 2-3 seconds or use a samller jig im assuming your using a 3.0-4.0 or your fishing in 2 foot of water? im not sure how deep the water is i squid in but as soon as my jig hits the water i give it one second than start reeling in slow and steady i find if i use a jerking motion it spooks the squid i use 2.0 jigs

Guest Aussie007

if your letting the jig sink for four seconds and hitting the bottom try letting it sink for 2-3 seconds or use a samller jig im assuming your using a 3.0-4.0 or your fishing in 2 foot of water? im not sure how deep the water is i squid in but as soon as my jig hits the water i give it one second than start reeling in slow and steady i find if i use a jerking motion it spooks the squid i use 2.0 jigs