In Search Of Murray Cod

Hodgey

G’Day all

Well; we had some pretty mediocre weather for the Cod Classic this year, with most of the comp conducted in very windy conditions. There was an abundance of floating and submerged weed, and the reports coming out of the lake when we arrived were pretty ordinary. Did we enjoy ourselves and get amongst some fish regardless? You betcha!

Arrived Thursday afternoon and arrived at the campsite just as the boys finished setting up camp and were cracking a stubby. Unpacked my gear, rigged up my rods, and sat down for a Bundy and a catch with my family. Here’s a couple of shots from the camp.

post-3198-1228774994_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775042_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775071_thumb.jpg

Friday was amazing weather. Overcast skies and a very gentle breeze. My youngest brother had invited three mates (bloody terrific blokes), so those four in their boats tried to find some clear water to troll. Dad, younger brother, nephew and myself headed for the timber-strewn banks across from camp.

Found a nice drop off and tied off to a sizeable stump. Started casting on to the weed bed and dragging my spinnerbait across the top of the weed, and down into the drop off. Fourth cast, and the spinnerbait is scoffed! This bloke went 50cm… the tally had started

post-3198-1228775116_thumb.jpg

Drifted along the bank, tossing spinnerbaits into 5ft of water. I happened to be watching the tip of Dad’s rod when his lure is hammered. Braced himself against the transom and held on. Three huge ‘tail shakes’ and he is busted off. 30lb braid and 25lb fluro leader, and he is bested in under 3 seconds. This fish was incredible.

Our prefish continued like this all day. I got smoked by a fish that had my 6kg Innovator rod curled like a pretzel. Grrrrrr! Tied another lure on and away we go again. We spent 90% of our three days fishing water between 2 – 10 ft, and the cod were hitting the lures like bloody barra. That first strike jolts your teeth! Back to camp for some ‘light refreshments’ and prepare for the first day of the comp.

Saturday … and the wind came belting in! White caps on the lake and 1300 boats all looking for a place to shelter. We stuck to our game plan but found the cod less willing to play, and down on the previous day’s size. Managed a few more cod between us and then it was time to head into town for the festivities. 2600 anglers under one marquee can get pretty crowded. We managed to pick up a few prizes comprising Oargee Lures, Boomerang Lures and rod holders.

Sunday was a duplicate of Saturday. The comp finished at 10:30 and as we didn’t land anything to challenge the leader board, we kept on fishing throughout the day. The boys running hardbodies or trolling had a bloody tough weekend. The windy conditions, and the increase in the legal size limit, took its toll on the number of fish weighed in. Last year there was approximately 700 cod and yellas weighed in … this year there was approximately 380.

Our team of six managed 34 cod over the three days. All fell victims to spinnerbaits. The color of the skirt was not necessarily what accounted for the fish. It was more important that your lure had twin gold Colorado blades. The biggest fish was 58cm, weighed 8lb … and was undersized. We had a fantastic weekend, with all anglers enjoying bust offs and captures alike. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Hodgey

Younger brother

post-3198-1228775166_thumb.jpg

Dad

post-3198-1228775212_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775252_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775302_thumb.jpg

Nephew

post-3198-1228775343_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775389_thumb.jpg

58cm/8lb

post-3198-1228775434_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775475_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775514_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1228775642_thumb.jpg

This one smacked my lure as it hit the water!

post-3198-1228775677_thumb.jpg

Bucket-mouthed freight trains!

post-3198-1228775761_thumb.jpg

Excellent report Dad!,

The fellas are all looking well, and I'm glad you all had a great time togther.

Unfortunate weather but you still got a decent haul. Fish territory looked very promising. There's always one that gets away!

Congrats on getting the largest fish, you always seem to get the goods even when your on away turf. :lol:

Great photos too.

I am looking forward to your next trip!

1300 boats on one water way???

That's outa control!

There's gotta be speed restrictions! With 1300 bream boats in one spot it would only resault carnage :074:

Mate excellent report and thos fish really photograph well. Love the greens and golds in them, very cool.

Greg

Awesmone effort mate....34 fish is outstanding and means your crew recorded almost 10% of the entire weekends taking with only .003% of the entire fleet fishing....

To clarify: fish had to be legal length to be weighed in and we were unable to land one @ 60cm :( So none of our 34 appear in those previously mentioned figures.

There were several camps around us that didn't land a fish all weekend, so we certainly had no complaints about our effort :biggrin2:

1300 boats on one water way???

That's outa control!

There's gotta be speed restrictions! With 1300 bream boats in one spot it would only resault carnage :074:

Mate excellent report and thos fish really photograph well. Love the greens and golds in them, very cool.

Greg

You should have seen the poor buggers at the boat ramp, Greg! :074: Glad we got there a day early :thumbup:

They are a beautiful fish, with clear, deep markings and coloration

Well done Hodgey - 34 fish over the 3 days is pretty good, even if they didn't hit the magic 60cm mark! :wacko: Gotta feel for the poor sods who got none!!

Shame the whoppers that hit you & your Dad's lures on your 'prefish' didn't turn up to play again over the next couple of days! What size did the biggest one go in the comp?

Sounds like those spinners are the way to go, for bass too! Back home, If you find a bass up the river with a purple one in its mouth, you'll know it is mine!

Great pics & terrific to see a family fishing together!! Is the droopy Moustache a pre-requisite??

Did you see any yaks out there competing?? No waiting at the boat ramps! :biggrin2:

Congratulations on what was largely a successful outing - have you booked your spot for next year already??

Cheerio

Roberta

Sensational stuff Ian, there's a few fat ones there.

Great to see you and the family hook into some fish, albeit undersize. Still a bloody good achievement with the crappy weather and 2500+ anglers.

How did the brother and his mates go??

The water level looks a little low, or is that normal?

As always - your pictures tell a thousand words.

Cheers

Carl

Fantastic report Hodgey. Great to hear you got into some fish in tough conditions. From the photos it seems that the mow is a genetic trait that skips generations in your family. Your nephew will probably miss out on the facial bush but his sons will keep up the good work I'm sure.

Those cod are beautiful looking fish. Would love to have seen the big fish that busted off your dad. He's probably swimming around now showing of his new lip piercing bling.

Welcome back, Slinky

skip, mate what a awsome report. They are a top looking fish arnt they. It seems poppering and Oversize lizards isn't your only forte. Glad to see you extracted fish regardless of some of the conditions. Good to see the Hodges at it again! Top stuff boys :)

Cheers Camo

Sensational stuff Ian, there's a few fat ones there.

Great to see you and the family hook into some fish, albeit undersize. Still a bloody good achievement with the crappy weather and 2500+ anglers.

How did the brother and his mates go??

The water level looks a little low, or is that normal?

As always - your pictures tell a thousand words.

Cheers

Carl

G'Day Carl

The other fellas caught 23 cod between them, so they were rapt as well. Not one carp, redfin or yella between us :1yikes:

The dam had a shedload of water pumped into it several months ago. From memory, it is at 87% (not sure of figure)

Cheers

Ian

Well done Skipper!!

What a blast. It sounds as though you had a ball. Rob is looking well, good to see.

Maybe next time you can take a little local knowledge with you (if I am not working that is) and we can give it a nudge. It would be tops to show the lads how it is done, but on fly.

Great read, love to the family and have a great Christmas..

Squizy