? King Tides?

Yarraone

Hi all .. Just wondering if any of you know of a web site or do we have a link here on fishraider, that can tell me when and where the king tides are and will be?

My second question is should i fish on a king tide?

I have been told that not all king tides are good fishing? What do you think?

Does it depend on the water system?

For example weather it is the north or south coast?

Or weather it is the Harbour or the Hawksberry?

What other things should I be looking for when looking at tides to plan that next great fishing trip?

Thanks for all your help... :beersmile:

I don't know a great deal about them mate but they generally occur around the full moon and i think new moon as well and when you look at the tidal predictions for these times you'll usually see a big fluctuation in tidal movement.

Last Saturday was the full moon (i think) and the tide was 0.36m low and 2.02m high compared to an average tide of around 0.6m low to 1.3m high.

We fished the h'bury on Saturday without much luck, just bottom rubbish and a lot of things seemed pretty inactive compared with previous days, may have been to do with the big rain and dirty water though.

Cheers

Josh

Hi Yarraone

you can get the NSW 08/09 tide chart here in pdf format (adobe reader) it has the larger tides high lighted and also has moon phase

http://www.myboat.com.au/index1.html

click the 08-09' Tide Chart link on the left side of the page to download

It is handy I keep mine on the desktop of my PC

Edited by arked

The problem I have found with real big tides is the obvious one - a hell of a lot of water gets moved.

The middle of the tide is real hard to fish in many places and pointless in others. Having said that there are places I dont mind having a go at on the big flood tides. Creeks are one, I have landed a Jew in three feet of water in a place that doesnt usually hold more than mullet (which was what I was using for bait). The lee side of points isnt too bad either.

I steer clear of deep channels etc until the flow slows down.

Dave

i dont think its so in depth you may have to change your approach but the fish are still there and you can really clean up if your fishing the right places.

I remember on our last big tides a change in spots produced 3 jew 6-10kg right on the change of tide and on the next tide right on the change a 21kg that was on the full moon.

its more about changing your approach rather than fish going off the bite its all about thinking outside the square