Fishraider Official Marine Park Poll

FISHRAIDER OFFICIAL POLL ON MARINE PARKS  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think recreational fisherman should be excluded from Sanctuary Areas within Marine Parks?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Would you support a Marine Park where recreational fishermen are not excluded from Sanctuary Areas?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two very good questions.

YES to both

George

Thanks George. I couldn't vote for the original questions as I don't think supporting marine parks so long as they don't affect us is a very clever strategy. For those worried about overfishing remember 91% of fish sold in NSW is now imported. The few remaining problems of overfishing can be dealt with far more effectively with traditional methods like the buy out of pro licences and if need be tighter bag and size limits for recs.

• 3 months later...

My vote is in.

How dare they take more of our fishing grounds. Another government official justifying their job by taking more from the people. what happened to promoting wholesome activities like fishing, i was taught by my father and grandfather and it kept me off the streets and out of trouble and i will teach my kids the same.. we should be educating our next generation of fisherman about conservation and not allow officials to dictate what we can and cant do.... That called communism and i would still like to believe we live in a free country

• 5 months later...

I am a angler and scuba diver residing on the Coffs Coast at Woolgoolga, I actually went for a spin this morning off my local headland. The thought that I could be prevented by law to fish in these waters is not only infuriating but screams ignorance and stupidity. Don't they realise the knock on effect that the imposed sanctuary zone would have on our region? I would only keep my boat because of my other hobby but why would I even live here if I can't enjoy the greatest pastime known to man? Why would I live here if I'd only get to teach my kids how to fish when we go on holidays to somewhere else?

Local Fisho's would be wholesaling their craft and probably get rid of their equipment. There goes the tackle shops and boat yards.

Who would holiday here when you can't wet a line? There goes tourism. People from all demographic's would be choosing somewhere else to retire/invest/holiday/reside, the list goes on.

Can fishraider get a petition going?

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Gendleberries.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm 46 views and only 5 votes? :wacko:

Take the time to vote gang. Imagine what an outsider would think of these figures. This is a fishing site, which has started a poll regarding FISHOS reaction to MPAs, and only 5 people out of 46 thought it worthy of a response?

Cheers

Hodgey

my vote is in.

R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Done

A tough question and topic.

What is a recreational fisherman?

Someone who loves and respects the opportunity to fish both today and tomorrow

or

a person who is there to grab whatever they can get at any cost to the environment and future catches.

To get a fishing licenser it costs an few bucks.

To get a gun license you need to belong to a club, training, education etc.

That's one of the things I really like about being a Fishraider member.

mijaro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I actually spoke to the fisheries scientist behind the Quibray Bay closure. He said he once tagged 400 flathead in Quibray Bay! He told me though he doesn't think the closure does all that much in terms of fishery wide (ie Botany Bay) benifits.

PS: In a lot of these cases no-one knows where these 'prime breeding grounds' are, or they change from year to year. Closed season are probably a better measure if you want to protect breeding fish. And then again there are plenty of sustainable fisheries built on targeting breeding fish. Often its the only time when they are concentrated enough to warrant commercial fishing. The trick is of course not to overdo the fishing effort.

Done, just a word on the "Greens", look how they stuffed up Tasmania and their economy!