Bull Sharks

quaddy

Hi fellow Raiders

Went out trying to get squid on Tuesday night (not one). Whilst casting a couple of kayakers paddled past and one fell out. Asked if he needed a hand as the others had stopped some distance away. He told me he was right and after he got back on thanked me anyway then told me he was a little worried beccause he had seen a couple of bug bull sharks up south west arm on the weekend. Now I do not know if it was the same shark he seen twice or what but just though I would mention it here

Bull Sharks unlike many other sharks can tolerate freshwater and thats often why they are seen well upstream like in the hawkesbury. Probably hunt the small soapies up near wisemans and other fish like Pete (tide'n'knots) catching one the other day.

I'm just wondering is wisemans ferry really that safer place to water ski, there's a hell of a lot of people that do up there, i know i have and bull sharks are one of the more dangerous shark species?

Josh

As Josh said, Bull sharks are very dangerous as they can venture up into freshwater. I know they do frequent ares up Middle Harbour past Roseville, probably chasing the tons of mullet up there. It wouldn't surprise me to find them up in Wisemans. I was told by a tackle shop in windsor that bull sharks were spotted up in Windsor by quite a few people. What a surprise that would be to fish for bass and see a shark. To me, this makes them very dangerous and they frequent both salt & freshwater.

Yes, Bull Sharks are extremely dangerous..

As said before, they can tolerate both salt and freshwater, and are one of the most aggressive species of shark. I've been waterskiing in Roseville - definately wouldn't go for a late afternoon swim though! :wacko:

I don't blame you. I have heard of people kayaking up past Roseville spotting bull sharks. From the fish I catch up there, and the loads of mullet, there is a good food supply for them.

Bull sharks are the old Bronze Whalers aren't they? They also get to the upper reaches of the Georges River.

Both are different.

Bull shark - Carcharhinus leucas

Bronze whaler - Carcharhinus brachyurus

Guest Aussie007
Bull sharks are the old Bronze Whalers aren't they? They also get to the upper reaches of the Georges River.
oi dont say that i plan on doing some ski tubing and trying our luck at water skiing this summer in the george's river :1yikes:

They are more common than people think, they are in every Estuary and they are the most dangerous Shark in the world.

i use to jew fish from the shore up wisemans way and further up streamand everynow and then youd get big fish take the bait to end up busting off and a very frayed leader

They hang around south west arm and audley seen a lot over years in the hacking, think i might target them one night soon for a bit of fun.I will have to find my old shark rigs in the garage.Wack out a fat salmon from the freezer and see what happens.

cheers jewieslayer

:1fishing1:

Information on Bull Sharks

Unlike other marine sharks, Bull Sharks tolerate fresh water. They can travel far up rivers and man made canals. Seeing they can do this, they are probably responsible for the majority of attacks on humans that take place near the shore. However Bull Sharks are not freshwater sharks.

The name “Bull Sharks”, came from the sharks stocky shape, broad, flat snout and aggressive unpredictable behaviour. The Bull Shark is common in coastal areas of warm oceans, in rivers and lakes, and in both salt and fresh water.

The Bull Shark covers a vast area as map shows.

It is estimated that there are more than 500 Bull Sharks is the Brisbane River and greater numbers still in the canals at the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia.

Description of the Bull Shark

Bull Sharks are large and stout. Males can reach 2.1 metres (6.9 ft) and weigh 90 kilograms (198.4 Ib). Females can be much larger. 3.5 metres (11.5 ft) and 230 kg (513 lb). Bull Sharks are wider than other sharks of comparable length.

They are grey on top and white below. The second dorsal fin is smaller then the first.

The bull sharks diet includes fish, other sharks, rays, dolphins, turtles, birds, crustaceans plus more.

The Bull shark is a lone hunter. They often cruise through shallow waters. They way appear docile, but they can suddenly burst into speed. They can be highly aggressive, even attacking a race horse is the Brisbane River in the Australian state at Queensland..

They are extremely territorial and will attack other animals - including humans - that enter their territory. The bull shark is among the species considered the most dangerous to humans.

Bull sharks breed in the summer, often in the brackish water of river mouths. After gestating for about a year, a bull shark may give birth to us many as 13 live young (they are viviparous). The young are about 70 centimetres (28 inches) at birth and take 10 years to reach maturity.

There is more than 160 species of shark that makes up nearly half of the worlds species. The vast majority of these pose no threat to humans. Those that do are more than likely cases of people being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So with care most threats are avoidable.

The Bull Shark also inhabits fresh water and in considered to be a very dangerous shark because of its aggressive nature and liking for shallow habitats. Rivers, Canal Estates, such as around the Gold Coast is Australia, are a favoured location where occasional attacks have occurred. Shark habitats range from open ocean waters to coastal waters, rivers and coral reefs.

Bull Shark migration is not well understood because of a lack of research in this area but it is known that food availability and reproductive cycles probably play an important part is their migration.

The research that has been conducted suggests that sharks undergo daily activity rhythms culminating in greater activity between sunset and well into the night.

Generally sharks will only attack humans if provoked or they are mistaken for food.

Sharks usually eat between 1 and 10 percent of there body weight weekly.

Information on Bull Sharks

Unlike other marine sharks, Bull Sharks tolerate fresh water. They can travel far up rivers and man made canals. Seeing they can do this, they are probably responsible for the majority of attacks on humans that take place near the shore. However Bull Sharks are not freshwater sharks.

The name “Bull Sharks”, came from the sharks stocky shape, broad, flat snout and aggressive unpredictable behaviour. The Bull Shark is common in coastal areas of warm oceans, in rivers and lakes, and in both salt and fresh water.

The Bull Shark covers a vast area as map shows.

It is estimated that there are more than 500 Bull Sharks is the Brisbane River and greater numbers still in the canals at the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia.

Description of the Bull Shark

Bull Sharks are large and stout. Males can reach 2.1 metres (6.9 ft) and weigh 90 kilograms (198.4 Ib). Females can be much larger. 3.5 metres (11.5 ft) and 230 kg (513 lb). Bull Sharks are wider than other sharks of comparable length.

They are grey on top and white below. The second dorsal fin is smaller then the first.

The bull sharks diet includes fish, other sharks, rays, dolphins, turtles, birds, crustaceans plus more.

The Bull shark is a lone hunter. They often cruise through shallow waters. They way appear docile, but they can suddenly burst into speed. They can be highly aggressive, even attacking a race horse is the Brisbane River in the Australian state at Queensland..

They are extremely territorial and will attack other animals - including humans - that enter their territory. The bull shark is among the species considered the most dangerous to humans.

Bull sharks breed in the summer, often in the brackish water of river mouths. After gestating for about a year, a bull shark may give birth to us many as 13 live young (they are viviparous). The young are about 70 centimetres (28 inches) at birth and take 10 years to reach maturity.

There is more than 160 species of shark that makes up nearly half of the worlds species. The vast majority of these pose no threat to humans. Those that do are more than likely cases of people being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So with care most threats are avoidable.

The Bull Shark also inhabits fresh water and in considered to be a very dangerous shark because of its aggressive nature and liking for shallow habitats. Rivers, Canal Estates, such as around the Gold Coast is Australia, are a favoured location where occasional attacks have occurred. Shark habitats range from open ocean waters to coastal waters, rivers and coral reefs.

Bull Shark migration is not well understood because of a lack of research in this area but it is known that food availability and reproductive cycles probably play an important part is their migration.

The research that has been conducted suggests that sharks undergo daily activity rhythms culminating in greater activity between sunset and well into the night.

Generally sharks will only attack humans if provoked or they are mistaken for food.

Sharks usually eat between 1 and 10 percent of there body weight weekly.

Very interesting information.

Hey guys

Bull Sharks are one of the oceans best hunters.

Moover got some great info but sharks attacks can also lead to habitat being destroyed in the case almost 40 attacks of the popular beaches in Costa Rica by bulls sharks.

There are some excellent programs on discovery channel about this sharks. (hope this part is not breaking the rules mods sorry if it is)

cheers

Steve

Hi Raiders,

Great topic! and better still great site. Been looking at Fishraider site for almost 2 years now but only just signed up. So first post: For those of us that love tubing and skiing with the kids, any suggestions as to reducing chance of upsetting these things? Obviously not after sunset and early morning, but any other info would help, areas to avoid etc.

Cheers!

Hi Raiders,

Great topic! and better still great site. Been looking at Fishraider site for almost 2 years now but only just signed up. So first post: For those of us that love tubing and skiing with the kids, any suggestions as to reducing chance of upsetting these things? Obviously not after sunset and early morning, but any other info would help, areas to avoid etc.

Cheers!

a few obvious things that come to mind are if youre bleeding dont get in, if youve berleyed up water or there are heaps of baitfish around, dont get in..........if youre in the open ocean and suddenly theres a patch of warmer water, dont get in (not that you would be doing this with your activities).....but realistically there is nothing you can do mate - you are in their territory, and therefore taking the risk, there's no real way of sugarcoating it, nor should there be.

the chance of getting killed on the way to the water, or even struck by lightning, is statistically greater than you being attacked by a shark though

Edited by mattycoss

Nah, two different sharks. The whaler is pointier, the bull more stocky

Beware murky water wherever you are if it is somewhere connected to the ocean, they like hunting in the low viz for a good reason.

Edited by yakfishing

Guest Aussie007

i am going to shit my self when i fall out of the ski tube now thanks guys :074: i have a fear of big sharks inparticular the great white

Gotto love the new range of Halco Laser Kayaks........ bound to catch the biggest of fish: :074:

NSW: Shark knocks man from kayak

Article from: AAP General News (Australia) Article date: February 8, 2002

By Kylie Williams

SYDNEY, Feb 8 AAP - A man has narrowly escaped serious injury after a terrifying battle with a shark in Sydney's Parramatta River.

Paul McNamara, from Ermington in Sydney's west, was knocked off his kayak by the shark as he paddled in Cabarita Marina last night.

The shark circled him, coming in once to headbutt him and again for a nudge but did not attempt to bite.

Part of a shark's tooth was later found embedded in the kayak as well as a large bite mark.

Mr McNamara today said he was pretty scared when the shark knocked him into the water.