Bull Sharks

quaddy

Hi fellow Raiders

Went out trying to get squid on Tuesday night (not one). Whilst casting a couple of kayakers paddled past and one fell out. Asked if he needed a hand as the others had stopped some distance away. He told me he was right and after he got back on thanked me anyway then told me he was a little worried beccause he had seen a couple of bug bull sharks up south west arm on the weekend. Now I do not know if it was the same shark he seen twice or what but just though I would mention it here

To tell the truth the guy said he say 9 sharks in the arm of Port Hacking but I thought that was a bit of a stretch. Reading the info maybe he was right as the conditions there were ideal.

Gotto love the new range of Halco Laser Kayaks........ bound to catch the biggest of fish: :074:

NSW: Shark knocks man from kayak

Article from: AAP General News (Australia) Article date: February 8, 2002

By Kylie Williams

SYDNEY, Feb 8 AAP - A man has narrowly escaped serious injury after a terrifying battle with a shark in Sydney's Parramatta River.

Paul McNamara, from Ermington in Sydney's west, was knocked off his kayak by the shark as he paddled in Cabarita Marina last night.

The shark circled him, coming in once to headbutt him and again for a nudge but did not attempt to bite.

Part of a shark's tooth was later found embedded in the kayak as well as a large bite mark.

Mr McNamara today said he was pretty scared when the shark knocked him into the water.

ok guys how do i target them on the yak???? if there their i might aswell try???? is there a legal size? whats the quickest way to kill one?

Guest Aussie007
ok guys how do i target them on the yak???? if there their i might aswell try???? is there a legal size? whats the quickest way to kill one?
drop a bucket of blood in the water than hang a leg over when u feel a nibble YOUR ON!!!! :1yikes: seriously do u wanna target them? if your in a yak i doubt your far from a beach,wharf,boat ramp and all you'll be doing is stiring them up keeping them keen and interested what would u do if u heard of a bull shark attack shortly after u were putting out your burley? Edited by gazza

Hasve seen photos of old guys hauling in Bulls sharks around Lower Portland and used to go on the prawn trawlers in the area and they had plenty of stories of sharks in the Hawkesbury, stories also abounded of sightings in the lower Colo. We did see sharks at a previous work location at Waverton off the coal loading wharf when we where jumping off the wharf. Funny enough no one else jumped off the wharf following these sightings

talking about sharks i'm pretty sure i hooked up onto a big one 2 friday nights ago in berowra waters, my line took off at 100mph and ran for ten seconds then "snap" .wheeled in my line to discover that i lost my hooks and half my trace 2 x 10.0 hooks 80lb flouro trace and a full large callamarri (fishing for jews). the trace was frayed up past half way. also my father lives at wisemans ferry and often see's bull sharks feeding in the shallows at sunset (cruising around with the dorsal fin exposed out of the water) also about 10 yr ago three people in berowra lost there dogs to bull sharks in one week and that was in summer two. i wouldnt swim in there if my life depended on it

A few years back A Current Affair ran a segment about Bull Sharks in the canals of the Gold Coast and they had these two young guys who would fish for them off the balcony of their 2nd floor unit. They would rig up, set the rod on the hand rail then play their Playstation and drink beers until the drag started to scream.

drop a bucket of blood in the water than hang a leg over when u feel a nibble YOUR ON!!!! :1yikes: seriously do u wanna target them? if your in a yak i doubt your far from a beach,wharf,boat ramp and all you'll be doing is stiring them up keeping them keen and interested what would u do if u heard of a bull shark attack shortly after u were putting out your burley?

yeah i seriously would like to target them but not sure about from the yak just yet.

myself and yes dear have fished the banks of the LCR for a few years basically targeting bream and flatties. we were wading out there alot last year in all sorts of weather.

have caught some monster flatties and bream there. one time we were wading back to the shore flicking SP's on the wade back, something did bump my ankle but was small i think as i thought it was a flttie i might have stepped on but i have heard of bullsharks down that way too. been spooled a few times there too.

does anyone know how to target them for real and is there a size limit do they swim in heards (i thought they hunt alone) etc???

cheers damien

Edited by nargse1

I'm curious now. Said to my wife last night I would love to catch one. A few people have seen them around Windsor in the freshwater. Maybe next time I am fishing for bass, throw out a surface lure for the bass, and a chunk of meat for the bull sharks. What a catch that would be.

whats with these sharks 10 years ago i never heard of them now there everywhere

probably due to some unexplained attacks, particularly in the upper reaches of a river. Most people wouldn't think that a shark would be that far up, or can even adapt to freshwater.

Found this on amonline:-

post-3324-1229732293_thumb.jpg

Dennis Reid and Marcus Miller visited to work on the 2.8m long Bull Shark caught on 18 February 1999, in a commercial fishing net near Grotto Point, Middle Harbour (Sydney Harbour). The image shows Dennis and Marcus examining the fish's teeth.

post-3324-1229732327_thumb.jpg

Apparently this shark was caught in water only 2 metres deep.Same shark as above.

Dennis Reid and Marcus Miller visited to work on the 2.8m long Bull Shark caught on 18 February 1999, in a commercial fishing net near Grotto Point, Middle Harbour (Sydney Harbour). The image shows Dennis and Marcus examining the fish's teeth.

Apparently this shark was caught in water only 2 metres deep.Same shark as above.

this shark was caugh by ma old man i remember i was 10 at da time wen he got home with he tail hanging out the back of the 1tonner. also seen them as far up the para river as silverwater rd when workin on da prawn trawlers all u gota remember were theres water theres sharks

this shark was caugh by ma old man i remember i was 10 at da time wen he got home with he tail hanging out the back of the 1tonner. also seen them as far up the para river as silverwater rd when workin on da prawn trawlers all u gota remember were theres water theres sharks

I bet your old man was surprised to catch a bull shark with his catch.Apparently this catch attracted alot of media attention. He must have been famous after this.

I bet your old man was surprised to catch a bull shark with his catch.Apparently this catch attracted alot of media attention. He must have been famous after this.

ay chopper 75

yeh m8 he was on the news and in all the papers. this 1 got the most medea attention because of the location an the fact ther were people swimmin and waterskiing in and around da nets as we were hauling it in. thats why it was not released because they figured if they let it go and it attacked someone it would be on them. kept 2 in the time they were fishing both making the news and papers the other being a 4.5m bronzie caughed in rushcutters bay a few yrs before this 1. biger sharks werenot uncommon but were released becsause they are not worth the risk and hassle of bringing them to market for what you get for them.