Carp Fishing

glennmreid

Haven't fished for carp for a few months now, so I decided to check out some spots today and try my luck. I usually fish for them in Rouse Hill, but was told about another spot. I went to Toongabbie Creek in Winston Hills, near the Oakes Road bridge. went doen to the spot and it was absolutely full of carp with a huge range of sizes. I usually fish with bread, and have had good sucess with it. On this occassion, couldn't get the carp interested. They were just under the surface, but wouldn't even look at the bread. even the bread that I used as burley didn't get touched. For those out there who are experienced carp fishos, how do i get this carp interested if bread isn't working? Do you think seet corn would be a better bait? What rig do you use?

Guest Aussie007

i use to use corn but been a long time since my carp fishing days carp were recently spoted under the bridge on elizibeth drive mt pritchard if u need another spot :thumbup:

My brother lives across road from that park,it holds heaps of fish,they are probably full asyou often see people feeding them with bread!

explains why i can't catch them :thumbup:

i use to use corn but been a long time since my carp fishing days carp were recently spoted under the bridge on elizibeth drive mt pritchard if u need another spot :thumbup:

thanks gazza

I've spent the last few years adapting to salt water fishing from carp and barbel fishing having moved from the UK.

The best floating bait for carp is dog biscuit. Dog biscuits outfish bread and can be fired out with a catapult as loose feed further and more accurately.

There are three main secrets here. The first is obvious: get the fish feeding before you wet a line. The second is to keep the line out of the water. The main way to do this is by buying a carp controller float. Not sure if you can get them over here but they are readily available on the net. The last is less obvious but VITAL to your hook up rates: get the hook mounted on TOP of the biscuit OUT of the water. This is tricky because the hook weighs more than the biscuit so if you try to simply super glue it on it will always flip hook side down. So the method is... Glue two biscuits together. Then glue on a BB (or similar size) split shot in between the two. You should have several made up at this stage ready to go - dog biscuits last ages. Lastly, glue on a size 6 or 8 on the other side in between the biscuits that you know will be outweighed by the split shot. Carp will hoover up all your free offerings and reject the one with the hook hanging from it in the water so mounting the hook this way really is crucial.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works!

PS - if anyone reading this knows of a place to catch 8kg+ carp within an hour of Sydney please let me know..

When carp are on the surface and are stationary they are in a negative feeding mood and nothing you do will get them to feed.

You might want to try fishing latter on in the day or earlier in the morning as at some point these fish will need to eat.

In hard fished water fish become very shy of any kind of braid and even the slight resistence of braid in the water causes carp to drop the bait immediately. I would suggest you fish ultra light flurocarbon straight and you might want to try 2 or 3 different baits. One bait that has worked well for me in recent times has been a chunk of beef heart rigged unweighed via a hair rig, but a word of warning it attracts eels and eels and light line and eel combination does not mix.

Keep in mind another thing you need to take into account with carp in hard to fish waters is that if they see you they won't feed.

Hi

when i used to do carp fishing in the cabramatta creek, near the location where Gazza has mentioned around 6years ago, just behind the soccer fields, i used to mash white break with sliced cheese with abit of water to make it into a dough. i found that worked very well. back then the system was packed with huge ones i dont know how it is today though. the eels and turtles loved it aswell lol

Dan

I did notice the fish were near the surface and alot of the times, sitting still. This negative feeding mode is interesting. Any idea why they go into this mode? seems the carp are getting smart. There was me thinking they were easy to catch :074:

It's any ones guess why fish go into these negative feeding modes and i'm sure there are host of variables such as barometric pressure, fishing pressure, water temperature, sun, shadows over the water that probably effect whether or not fish feed.

With carp they seem to go through 3 different moods.

1) Negative >> fish is on the surface dormant not moving.

2) Cruising/Neutral >> fish is slowly cruising its a 50/50 chance that you can get them into taking a bait and with some berley in the water you've got a good chance of getting them to bite.

3) Postive/Heads down tails up>> at this stage the fish will feed and are suckers not only for bait but for small soft plastics and flies. Usually when fish are in this mood you will see clouds of muds in the water or even see the tail of the carp breaking the surface of the water.

From what i've seen the most consistant time to get carp is about an hour before sunset on a sunny day but different places have different fish and every spot is different.

Carp are a challenging fish and seem to wise up to fishing fairly quickly, as a challenge I enjoy fishing for them as they are an intelligent adversary.

It's any ones guess why fish go into these negative feeding modes and i'm sure there are host of variables such as barometric pressure, fishing pressure, water temperature, sun, shadows over the water that probably effect whether or not fish feed.

With carp they seem to go through 3 different moods.

1) Negative >> fish is on the surface dormant not moving.

2) Cruising/Neutral >> fish is slowly cruising its a 50/50 chance that you can get them into taking a bait and with some berley in the water you've got a good chance of getting them to bite.

3) Postive/Heads down tails up>> at this stage the fish will feed and are suckers not only for bait but for small soft plastics and flies. Usually when fish are in this mood you will see clouds of muds in the water or even see the tail of the carp breaking the surface of the water.

From what i've seen the most consistant time to get carp is about an hour before sunset on a sunny day but different places have different fish and every spot is different.

Carp are a challenging fish and seem to wise up to fishing fairly quickly, as a challenge I enjoy fishing for them as they are an intelligent adversary.

Very interesting information. Thanks

Hey Glenn

I tend to find the best sessions for carp are start of spring and mid autumn. Right when the water temp comes up and before it gets cold. They seem to feed right up before winter and right after. I got one a few days ago on dough on a float (was mullet fishing) he was about two to three kgs, but in September I got two at about 8 kilos on sweetcorn bottom fishing.

It is fishing which at times requires patience and long hours - that's my experience!

Cheers

Tommy

hi i used to fish every day for carp in the nepean river it is very stocked with large carp very easy to find with a bit of burley we used to find that around this time of year they seemed to be the hardest to catch. they spent a lot of time jumping and rolling around the surface my mate who was heavily into breeding all kinds of fish believed they were spawning and were far to busy to eat. :1fishing1:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...