Lake Illawarra Ramps/fishing Spots

Davemmm

I was supposed to hit the Lake last year but it never eventuated so I still haven't been on the water down there. I am going down over the next couple of weeks and would like some advice.

Where is the easiest ramp to get to if I am coming down from sydney (only launching a 4.1m poly).

Once on the water where the bloody hell to fish?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi Davemmm .

I'm heading down to Windang tomorrow , and will be fishing lake illawarra myself.

I'll be going from tomorrow which is the 4th till the 7th .

Pm me before the 7th so i remember , to tell you what ramp we will be putting in at , and I'll try to give you some spots . But it will be hard for me as I've never been there myself , well at least since i was little . I think I'll also be doing abit of beach fishing and prawning so I'll let you know how they go.

Anyway , I hope I go well with the fishing so I'll be able to come back with a good report + some spots for you.

Cheers , Rhys :1fishing1:

there is a big parking are and ramp right next to the bridge on the southbound side, plenty of room and good ramp, basically head out into the lake from there, try around the bridge and further in around the rockwall to the north.

cheers, dan

The ramp on the north side of the lake bridge (windang rd) has a good parking area, cleaning tables and toilet facilities (that even play music!). Get there EARLY esp weekends for a parking spot.

There is a ramp on the south side next to the breakwall. Parking, no cleaning table but covered bbq close by with a tap. Toilets not so close. :thumbdown: This one is more sheltered from southerly breezes, but is a very popular land based spot, so watch for lines and the odd swimmer or two.

Once on the lake, a slow drift around the flats between the breakwall and the bridge should see some flatties or whiting, and the odd bream near any weed banks. Further in, try the channel on the other side of the bridge, further up near the islands, or around the corner try the drop-off near the channel marker.

HTH

(gee I miss my boat!) :1badmood:

Hi Dave, I'm actualy a local down windang and can tell you that the ramp here is the best and closest for you to use and yeah theres plenty of facilities there. As for fish, they're very few and far between in the lake, I wouldn't make a special trip down here if you'll be disapointed at not catching a feed, if you're happy with a good day on the water and maybe a fish or 2 then you wont be disapointed. THe most productive time has been the slack water between the run out and run in tide which is only 1/2hr tops because the tide runs that quick in the lake now it's too fast to do a nice slow drift.

Edited by LittleNoah

....Hi Dave, I'm actualy a local down windang and can tell you that the ramp here is the best and closest for you to use and yeah theres plenty of facilities there. As for fish, they're very few and far between in the lake, I wouldn't make a special trip down here if you'll be disapointed at not catching a feed, if you're happy with a good day on the water and maybe a fish or 2 then you wont be disapointed...........

Hi LittleNoah has the fishing been quiet at Windang lately and how has the prawning been ? We used to drift along the rocks on the north side, anchoring wide and fishing back in close wherever we got onto bream. We used to fish for our bream all the way down to the edge of the lake, where we would always anchor close to the yellow marker in the centre of the lake for our flathead, in a spot which was favoured by the locals. I used to strike a lot of rays at the yellow marker and you could usually guarantee a good size flathead or two on the larger baits. I thought the area would be loaded with small flathead at the moment as is the case up here. Are there flathead down there around the 400-450 mark and lots of undersize flathead at the moment?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't make a special trip down here if you'll be disapointed at not catching a feed, if you're happy with a good day on the water and maybe a fish or 2 then you wont be disapointed

Little Noah it is a favour to a mate to take his young bloke out in the boat. If I was disappointed at not getting onto fish then I wouldn't fish the Hacking so bloody often.

Cheers

Dave

Hi LittleNoah has the fishing been quiet at Windang lately and how has the prawning been ? We used to drift along the rocks on the north side, anchoring wide and fishing back in close wherever we got onto bream. We used to fish for our bream all the way down to the edge of the lake, where we would always anchor close to the yellow marker in the centre of the lake for our flathead, in a spot which was favoured by the locals. I used to strike a lot of rays at the yellow marker and you could usually guarantee a good size flathead or two on the larger baits. I thought the area would be loaded with small flathead at the moment as is the case up here. Are there flathead down there around the 400-450 mark and lots of undersize flathead at the moment?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer, yeah the fishing has been very quiet down here lately. I thought we were going to have a good summer on the flattys but I couldn't have been more wrong, theres an old bloke I know down here who would always catch fish, never missed, he hasn't even been going out. There were plenty of whiting around about a year ago but they're gone and havn't came back. The entrance has only been open again for around 18 months, it will hopefully stay open this time and the fish will come back. Thats why there's no fish, the entrance was closed for so long the fish have been wiped out. It should stay open as they built 2 big breakwalls, time will tell I suppose. I was down the ramp today having a look and seen schools of white bait around the jetty for the 1st time in years so thats a good sign.

How long since you been down here becuase the yellow marker and rock wall you referred to is how the lake used to be, it all got made very touristy in that area when they done the entrance and breakwalls with a little bay for swimming etc.

Prawns have been good last year and this year, thats why I thought we'd have a good year on the flattys.

I havn't been out this season but have heard good reports although they're only small prawns, last season I got them (plenty of them) up to 6 inches long, no bullsh!t.

Thanks guys.

Little Noah it is a favour to a mate to take his young bloke out in the boat. If I was disappointed at not getting onto fish then I wouldn't fish the Hacking so bloody often.

Cheers

Dave

Good on ya mate, have fun.

Edited by LittleNoah