Sharks

emetic

a mate offered to take me out in his boat to target some sharks.

I always like to try and get a feed when i go fishing, although it doesn't happen as much as i would like :05:

does anyone have any info on what shark species go alright on the table if caught and what ones i should release to fight again.

cheers

• Like 1

Hi,

Mate dont trow back any gummy sharks.

They are the only ones i eat. Others like small whalers are OK to eat as well.

I just wouldnt eat a fillet from a big shark very often.

Big sharks tend to have high levels of heavy metals and you still can eat them but i wouldnt eat more than once a week and not at all if pregnant.

Go the gummy shark (flake). Do some research on preparation of fillets for best table quality.

Cheers

I'm originally a southerner and there's a reason flake (usually gummy or school shark) costs so much in your fish and chips.... YUM!

I've also eaten bronzies and mako... both great.

Don't keep any bigger sharks for the table. As apex predators they tend to concentrate any pollutants or toxins and the bigger sharks have been doing it for a long time. There is (at least there used to be in Tassie) a maximum size on commercial sharks I believe for this reason.

Cheers, Slinky

This topic has got me interested.

Has anyone targetted them (gummy sharks) in Sydney?

If so, what bait have you successfully used? I understand gummy sharks go for squid and crustaesans.

Do you just bottom bash for them?

Cheers,

Jeff

I have caught a few gummies while bottom bashing at Boultons.

I usually cut the head and fin off and gut them straight away. It's a gory business but does help to reduce the ammonia. The fillets freeze quite well and this also seems to help with the smell.

Does anyone know about the edibility of blue sharks?

Cheers,

Rick

Hi,

Mate dont trow back any gummy sharks.

They are the only ones i eat. Others like small whalers are OK to eat as well.

Cheers

Yep..gummies and small [bronze] whalers.

Went fishing a few times with some Tongan friends of mine who fished exclusively for them. they would finish them off with a baseball bat which always made a bit of a mess. If you plan on gaffing a whaler make sure it is sharp as their skin is tougher than scaled fishes and they tend to object to being gaffed. They will also thrash around on the floor of the boat which can be dangerous [hence the bat].

Best thing about small shark is they pack a lot of meat for their size & they have no bones [just cartilage]

Wait until the water warms up around March-April and you get all the sub-tropical species coming in and there should be a few sharks being caught. I find the best place for school sharks is around the markers and reef at Dobroyd. Get some burley going and have out a nice flesh bait or even a live bait and you should get into some. I've got school sharks, bronzie's and hammerheads there all around that time of year when fishing for kingfish and they have taken the bait, often a big strip of squid.

All these sharks are around 3-4ft so aren't to bad to handle.

Cheers

Josh

I've caught both a mako and hammerhead (both about 1M long) and they were both great on the table.

I cut the fins off them as soon as i caught them, as i'd heard thats what you do.

No danger with the hammerhead, mouths are too small, but a bit different with the mako ... however i found that a few stabbies in the gills while it was at the side of the boat slowed it down rather nicely for me

i've caught a few sharks along the rocks, it's always the same type. Chocolate brown with a typical small shark build. Anyone have any ideas what kind it is? I always throw them back because I thought they wouldn't be good eating.

I took one home the first time I ever caught one. Here's a pic

post-9411-1231407841_thumb.jpg

Guest Big-Banana

Mmmm Gummy Shark....

Just about the best eating fish in the sea, I got a 12kg off Currarong last year, and none of it was wasted :1prop:

i've caught a few sharks along the rocks, it's always the same type. Chocolate brown with a typical small shark build. Anyone have any ideas what kind it is? I always throw them back because I thought they wouldn't be good eating.

I took one home the first time I ever caught one. Here's a pic

Looks like a member of the carpet shark family - most probably a blind shark

http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5892

Looks like a member of the carpet shark family - most probably a blind shark

http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5892

probably more like this one.

http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5893

Given moderate to high vulnerability - worth chucking back, as like most sharks they dont have a high fecundicity.

I have caught a few gummies while bottom bashing at Boultons.

I usually cut the head and fin off and gut them straight away. It's a gory business but does help to reduce the ammonia. The fillets freeze quite well and this also seems to help with the smell.

Does anyone know about the edibility of blue sharks?

Cheers,

Rick

we kept a blue shark of about 50kg lastyear,my mate tried it and said it was mush

as for eating sharks gummies are great ,but you dont get many in sydney well i dont anyway,but mako is rated very hi on my list as in the way of eating but they have to be small under 40 kg there are beautiful have eaten them to 60 ish there ok to ,but tasted a 80 kg fish and it was rubbish , so for us if there under 50 they get the steel and if any bigger they get a streamer to show there mates

cheers arman

I would be keen to keep a shovelnose to try but no idea which bits are edible - in the fishmarkets they sell 'skate' which looks like the wings cut off a shovelnose or something similar.. Do you guys eat the wings (how to prepare?) or do you take the fillets off the body?

dont bother keeping shovel nose sharks i can tell you from experience they are crap!!! I tried one once that I caught in jervis bay and it went in the bin! tough as boot leather!

pete

• 9 years later...