How To Dispense Berley Off Rocks?

hc88

Hey guys, asking the newbiest of questions about berley.

There are thousands of threads about berley recipes and i'm pretty sure i know how to make a mix properly. The problem is that i don't know how to dispense it. I've tried to use it 3 or 4 times now but it always ends up smelly and unhelpful.

I only fish off rocks and the shore (no beaches or jetties/wharves).

How do I know where my berley trail is going? Will it be following the wave direction? If i'm berleying off the rocks how will the backwash affect it? I've sort've just assumed that the backwash just washes it out infront of me. So me, my berley and its trail are all in line. I assumed that would happen because the waves are always flowing past you (not into you or radiating out from you) so if the berley follow that only then my berley would just be clinging to rocks along where im fishing.

My recipe is:

1. bread/quicks oats depending on what i can find

2. tuna oil

3. big w berley pellets

4. water

I mix all that stuff up and pour it into a container and freeze it. Usually it gets 6 hours to freeze in my freezer but it never gets solid... Do i not have enough water inside???

I find it really difficult to berley consistently as i'm usually looking at the ocean or talking to my dad or something. That's why I want to make a frozen block of berley that'll slowly dispense inside a milk container where i poke a few holes.

I've tried using it when it's unfrozen and the mix seems to be gone in 10 minutes even though i spend 20 making the damn thing! And no noticeable difference probably because its gone so quick.

So not only do I not know how to identify where my berley has gone... i cant even get mine to last. How tragic is that?

I've also tried to just tie a salmon carcass to the rocks right in front of me. That lasted.. but didnt seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help :):wacko:

Buy a berley bucket from a tackle shop to start with. You can get a robust one for under 10 bucks that will withstand a bashing against oysters and barnacles. If I half fill my berley bucket with those berley granules that you buy from a tackle shop, I'll probably end up topping it up every 30 minutes or less if there is lots of wave action as that depletes it faster.

The berley will go with the current or back wash. In the back wash I expect it gets taken deep faster than it would naturally sink. Keep that in mind because you want to make sure you fish your bait inside the berley trail at the depth of the berley.

The berley I buy is made my the bloke that runs the local tackle shop; it comes frozen for freshness but it's lose in the bag; it's not in a solid block or anything.

The thing with berley is making sure it just gives the fish a taste but not a feed (that's what your bait is for :) ).

Buy a berley bucket, experiment with different berley that doesn't deplete to quickly or maybe just accept how fast it depletes and bring more. I usually take a 1kg bag to last me for a session. $5 well spent if ou ask me!

Hey guys, asking the newbiest of questions about berley.

There are thousands of threads about berley recipes and i'm pretty sure i know how to make a mix properly. The problem is that i don't know how to dispense it. I've tried to use it 3 or 4 times now but it always ends up smelly and unhelpful.

I only fish off rocks and the shore (no beaches or jetties/wharves).

How do I know where my berley trail is going? Will it be following the wave direction? If i'm berleying off the rocks how will the backwash affect it? I've sort've just assumed that the backwash just washes it out infront of me. So me, my berley and its trail are all in line. I assumed that would happen because the waves are always flowing past you (not into you or radiating out from you) so if the berley follow that only then my berley would just be clinging to rocks along where im fishing.

My recipe is:

1. bread/quicks oats depending on what i can find

2. tuna oil

3. big w berley pellets

4. water

I mix all that stuff up and pour it into a container and freeze it. Usually it gets 6 hours to freeze in my freezer but it never gets solid... Do i not have enough water inside???

I find it really difficult to berley consistently as i'm usually looking at the ocean or talking to my dad or something. That's why I want to make a frozen block of berley that'll slowly dispense inside a milk container where i poke a few holes.

I've tried using it when it's unfrozen and the mix seems to be gone in 10 minutes even though i spend 20 making the damn thing! And no noticeable difference probably because its gone so quick.

So not only do I not know how to identify where my berley has gone... i cant even get mine to last. How tragic is that?

I've also tried to just tie a salmon carcass to the rocks right in front of me. That lasted.. but didnt seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help :):wacko:

firstly what are you fishing for

black fish and drummer you need berly

bream you can use dry cat food but i would use the same as the bait i was useing witch would be crabs hand full off smashed crab and half a crab for bait[killer for gropper also]

but to be truthfull the only time i used berly off the rocks was for tailor and only to keep the school in casting range[pillys cut up in cubes]

i beleave the best bait is under you feet and if you wearnt there that's what they would be eating

if you must berly off the rocks you would need to mince your berly so there is only very fine peaces and more sent than a feed

get a good heshen sack and place it in a rock pool that has wave action every now and then

to find out where it's going set up a boby cork with a bit off lead under it and let it free spool it and just watch let it go to as far as you can cast that's your berly trail

if you are fishing for bream try half a crab with no weight and drop it in the wash and free spool it out keeping a good bow it the line watch for the line to staighten quickly and that will acount for some good blue nose bream[remember most off the fish are also right at your feet]

cherrs gary

......get a good heshen sack and place it in a rock pool that has wave action every now and then........

.......remember most off the fish are also right at your feet.......

...........cheers gary

Good one Gary :thumbup: That hession bag idea of yours would also be good as a bottom burley bag inside a weighted burley container and would let out good slow seepage of fish fluids, squid ink and odours etc and bring fish to the source without the burley running away in the river current.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

if you put too much tuna oil it doesnt freeze as well .I make big batches of bread burley in a large drum and then put it too containers so i can leave them in the freezer for a long time ,at least a couple of weeks because when you put it in overnight it would only be frozen on the outside(freezers from the outside in)

as for the rocks ,i cant help you with that because im likely to fall of a jetty let alone a rock face

cheers arman