Mt144 8w Snyder Glas?

fisho1990

i found a Snyder Glas MT144 8W in storage a while back its a bit heavy and there would be no way to comfortably hold one all day off the rocks for example, so so far it has been used just as a set rod with live baits....

its still in good nick and i have been using it with an alvey 650c which i also found

just wondering if it still has its place and if any one else uses them as opposed to lighter graphite rods ????

cheers .............

Hi FIsho 1990

A lot of folk still love that rod - someone was looking for one of these not long ago on the forum!

Good length & strength for jewies. A bit heavier than modern rods, but still a reliable, good rod

Cheers

Roberta

I have the same rod (well Butterworth MT8144, which is the same blank) mated with an Alvey 650C also. I bought it when I was living at Noosa about 25 years ago. I haven't used the outfit for years (yes it is a bit heavy) but I jsut can't bear to part with it!

Baz

I have the same rod (well Butterworth MT8144, which is the same blank) mated with an Alvey 650C also. I bought it when I was living at Noosa about 25 years ago. I haven't used the outfit for years (yes it is a bit heavy) but I jsut can't bear to part with it!

Baz

haha, neither can i mate....you dont know the line strength rating roe these rods do you ???

Edited by fisho1990

haha, neither can i mate....you dont know the line strength rating roe these rods do you ???

I used to fish 6kg or 10kg line, depending on what I was targeting. I think it could handle 15kg but I never found the need to go any heavier than 10. I always used to fish ANSA/IGFA line classes. 6kg line is on the spool at the moment and it's probably been there for way too many years!

This rod is one of the few I didn't build myself from a blank, so maybe the recommended line classes are written on it. I'll climb under the house one day and have a look.

Baz

I used to fish 6kg or 10kg line, depending on what I was targeting. I think it could handle 15kg but I never found the need to go any heavier than 10. I always used to fish ANSA/IGFA line classes. 6kg line is on the spool at the moment and it's probably been there for way too many years!

This rod is one of the few I didn't build myself from a blank, so maybe the recommended line classes are written on it. I'll climb under the house one day and have a look.

Baz

cheers mate, the rod is out of storage i have been using it for the last month or so .it has no line classes on it but i have been using it with 25lb braid and a baitrunner 4500.. :1fishing1:

The 8144 matched to a 6/1 Seascape reel is what I spun with off the rocks ALL DAY with metal sliced lures many years ago. And now it is deemed too heavy to hold . How things change!

Howard.

MT144 8W 3.7mtrs 115 gms 6-10kg

Edited by bluefin

The 8144 matched to a 6/1 Seascape reel is what I spun with off the rocks ALL DAY with metal sliced lures many years ago. And now it is deemed too heavy to hold . How things change!

Howard.

MT144 8W 3.7mtrs 115 gms 6-10kg

cheers mate.. i suppose i am just used to the lighter graphite rods

• 5 months later...

hahahaha

wow

people saying its to heavyh hahah

i just bought 3 new snyders 1 is a 10' mag bream rod thats a 3wrap and its become my breamrod

while the 8w and an old butterworth 7w are my pig rods and my jew rods off the beach i tell youwhat when fishing off the stones i would not trade my butterworth or snyders for all the gold in the world they can take a beating like no other and still keep going

i understand that the graphite rods are lighetr and often cheaper but i still think theres a huge section of the fishing market where a snyder or butterworth fibreglass rod has more pros than cons

i love synder glas

i have got a butterworth 8120 as well as a snyder

the butterworth is my favorite rod

people say they are heavy i am 13yrs old and i got it when i was 10 and its not to heavy to hold never has been

stinger

Edited by stinger

I have the same setup you have mentioned and use it off the beach and the rocks. The only thing I did was to cut down the rear handle a little, but its a great rod. I also have an MT144 6 wrap and a 9 wrap. I dont use the 9 wrap, but both the 6 & 8 are great off the beach and rocks for me.

I also have an MT8120, which I built up from a blank as a teenager many (many) years ago. This was a threadline outfit and it got an amazing amount of use. I'm only small framed, 75kg (about 20kg heavier than I was as a teenager and into my twenties) and I definitely found the 8120 with the threadline lighter and easier to use than the 8144 with the Alvey. I later extended the 8120 with a longer sand spike to raise the winch mount to suit an overhead reel and didn't plenty of high-speed spinning.

At nearly 13ft with the sand spike, the 8144 is a long rod and as a one piece is a bugger to fit on the car, which is probably the real reason why I don't use it much these days.

In fact, off the beach and rocks, I mostly use my 2-piece 5-wrap 5120 with 5 inch Alvey. I love this outfit!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

I have an 8144 low mount matched with an Alvey 650E5 and loaded with 25lb for my heavy pig outfit and as long as i remember to take my rod bucket its no problem to hang onto the outfit for long periods. The MT8144 blank is a true 10-12kg stick with the graph butt versions being able to handle 15kg comfortably.

• 2 weeks later...

I lmay be a bit old fashioned but I've had an Mt8144 (mated with a SHimano triton mag overhead since the mid 80s. WOuldn't swap it for the world. Its spooled with 10Kg tortue mono and I have used it to chuck six ounce weights to half the reefs and gravel beds accessible from the Sydney rocks/

Cant break it, makes a great walking stick for the climb in, and yeah, hooked into something solid heading for new zealand, you really know you are putting the hurt on the fish (if it hurts anywhere near as musch as it hurts you if you forget your drop gimble belt!)

Matee, persevere, they are a really indestructible bit of kit that casts a mile with an alvey. One thing not mentioned in your post is how low is the reel mount on the rod. It really does need to be low for an alvey or you will end up with back strain, but with a low mount, you can hold it in one hand all day comfortably.

Cheers

\Chris

hi mate i got 6 snyderglass rods 2 for blackfish ,2 for spinning off the rocks mt4wraps and 6wraps, 2 for livebaiting 1 mt8raps and 9 wraps 4 off them are high wrps . they one of the best rods . They still catching plenty of fish. had them for 15 years cheers bangus