Snorkeller Attacked By Bull Shark In Lake Illawarra

glennmreid

Below is some new that I just saw. Snorkeller attacked by a bull shark in Lake illawarra. That lake is so shallow, wouldn't expect a bull shark there. Just goes to show they are one of the most dangerous sharks.

A snorkeller is being treated for leg injuries after being attacked by a shark on the New South Wales south coast this morning.

The attack comes just a day after a 13-year-old girl was bitten by a five-metre white pointer off Bailey's Rocks in Tasmania's north-east and a 31-year-old Brisbane man was bitten by a shark while surfing near Fingal Beach on the NSW north coast.

Ambulance officers say the 23-year-old man was snorkelling at Windang on Lake Illawarra, south of Wollongong, when he was bitten on the leg by a bull shark. He punched at it causing it to release its grip.

Sergeant John Klepczarek from the Lake Illawarra Command says he has since been taken to hospital.

"Just before 11:00 am, a 25-year-old man was snorkelling near the Windang Boat Ramp when he was bitten on the leg," he said.

"The 25-year-old flagged down other boat users who have assisted the man to shore before calling emergency services."

Paramedics treated the man for 40 puncture wounds to his right calf and abrasions to his right fist before taking him to Shellharbour Hospital.

Windang and Warrilla beaches have been closed and an aerial search for the shark is underway.

The shark is believed to have been a bull shark after several were recently sighted in the area.

More nets

The NSW Opposition Leader has called for seasonal shark netting at popular swimming beaches along the state's north coast.

Andrew Stoner says there is no shark netting at beaches north of Newcastle.

"I think we do need to consider where populations swell over the summer holiday period and activity of fish and sharks is more prevalent that perhaps we do have some seasonal shark meshing at those more popular beaches," he said.

Had an interesting chat with a local I know down there this morning and rumour has it it may have been a seal that bit the guy as there had been one hanging around the bridge for a week before

That is very interesting. I know seals can be dangerous when approached.

Had an interesting chat with a local I know down there this morning and rumour has it it may have been a seal that bit the guy as there had been one hanging around the bridge for a week before

Nah mate, I'm from Windang myself and actually know the guy who was attacked and it was definatley a shark, a dusky whaler to be precise. He had a shark expert from DPI come to his house yesterday to talk to him and look at the bite marks. Check out the Illawarra Mercury today. The bloke reckons it had a few bites at him. This isn't the 1st shark we've had in the lake since the entrance has been opened. Oh and the seal has been around for longer than a week.

Check out my post in fishing chat from monday.

Love that news report too, 1st he's 23 then 25, but he's actually 24.