Handline Springers

Andy Loops

Hey Raiders,

I have seen springers on a couple of other boats and was wondering - where can you buy the springers? OR is there a simple workshop solution?

I was thinking of something like a plastic rod fixed to a piece of timbre that then slots into a rod holder.. It would be best if I could keep the rod holders free for rods though!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

Hi AL

A fishraider had a pair for sale last year sometime! They have a slot across the top. The Hand line is put thru the slot & wrapped around the springer a couple of times. WHen the fish hits, it pulls the springer down, which sets the hook & continues 'playing the fish' till you take over & bring the fish in by hand.

They need to be flexible/bendy enough to allow the fish (especially kingies or jewies) to bend it & not break it. I think some sort of polyprop/plastic was the go. I see them on some pro boats up here. One of the Kingie DVDs shows you how to set them up as the guys always put them out (drop the bait to the bottom, then bring it up about 1m) when spinning for kingies.

post-2231-1231899732_thumb.jpg

Looks like it sits in a fatter bit that probably slots into the rod holder?

Good luck. Let us know how it goes when you do find or make one??

Roberta

The fat bit is a through gunnel, side of hull fitting ( inch hole and slip it in and screw on backing.) and the knobby bit on the springer slots into this and the stainelss R-Clip holds it there.

Edited by pelican

post-2231-1231899732_thumb.jpg

....Looks like it sits in a fatter bit that probably slots into the rod holder?

....Good luck. Let us know how it goes when you do find or make one??

Roberta

Hi Andy Loops I have half a dozen of these same springers... I bought mine in Qld..... I use them on overnight set jew lines on very heavy drop shot leads to keep the line held down in the current..... A hole has to drilled into the gunnels and you have to have hand access below for the lock nuts...... To be able to release the pin you also need room below the gunnels for the shaft to be pressed all the way down into the egg cup type mount when your springers are not in use...... Andy Springers on 100lb handlines raised off the bottom on heavy drop shot rigs would be ideal for you to have to strike your hoodlum size kingfish just above the bottom in the deeper water ledges etc below and behind the surface school.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• 2 years later...

Hi raiders

the solution i use is simple and cheap to, all you need is a piece of thin cane, or bamboo might work about index finger thick and then push on the end a piece of garden hose and leave about an inch above the top of the cane and put a small slice down the middle (15mm) to split it in half, then place in rod holder and place line in the cut in the hose and away you go hope this helps.

radz

Hi raiders

the solution i use is simple and cheap to, all you need is a piece of thin cane, or bamboo might work about index finger thick and then push on the end a piece of garden hose and leave about an inch above the top of the cane and put a small slice down the middle (15mm) to split it in half, then place in rod holder and place line in the cut in the hose and away you go hope this helps.

radz

Thanks Radz that is a great idea and cheap/easy too.

Andy ive got a set of the springers that roberta posted i can set you up with

i got 2 sets and never got around to putting them in my boat

they even glow in the dark

thanks for the offer mate but do they go through the gunnels? I just hesitate to cut holes in the boat! haha

Got lotsa rod holders though ;-)

thanks for the offer mate but do they go through the gunnels? I just hesitate to cut holes in the boat! haha

Got lotsa rod holders though ;-)

yep the hole they require is tiny tho

the metal clip locks them in place when in use and when not use u remove the pin and they slide down into the gunnels so they are out of the way

might actually put them on the boat this weekend

they use them in the xxxxxxxxxxx kingie dvd seem very effective

I was going to make one on the weekend but never got to it. I was thinking of a piece of conduit, then making a mould of the inside of a rod holder (with the conduit already in it) so it holds the conduit snug. Not sure what I am going to use for the mould yet, maybe expanding foam?? I'll need to line the rod holder first with something so that I can easily pull the mould out once it sets hard. If it all goes horribly wrong, I may be shopping for a new rod holder!

Ok... New idea... I have a solid round tapered rubber "stopper". Im going to drill a hole through the center that the conduit will go through and then araldite the stopper to the conduit when in position. The stopper is tapered so the thinner end fits in the rod holder and the thicker end is wider, so it wont go all the way into the rod holder but will fit tight when pushed in. We'll see how I go... Quick question though, and probably not that important, but what is the "usual" length to the top of the springer above the side of the boat (how high do they sit above the boat)?

Thanks

Ok... New idea... I have a solid round tapered rubber "stopper". Im going to drill a hole through the center that the conduit will go through and then araldite the stopper to the conduit when in position. The stopper is tapered so the thinner end fits in the rod holder and the thicker end is wider, so it wont go all the way into the rod holder but will fit tight when pushed in. We'll see how I go... Quick question though, and probably not that important, but what is the "usual" length to the top of the springer above the side of the boat (how high do they sit above the boat)?

Thanks

from memory mine are around 60-70cm

Well, here it is... Cost less than $10.00 and took about 15mins to make. Most of the time was taken shaping the rubber stopper so it fits snug and holds it firm in the rod holder. I fitted a door stop :P on the bottom to give it a bit more support in the rod holder.

Still need to give it a test, but for less than $10.00 if it doesn't work I can always use it as a pacifier on the kids! (joking!!!) :074:

post-13646-063135400 1300430791_thumb.jpg