Night Fishing For Squid - Tips?

michaelrdoyle@gmail.com

Hey all

Over the last few months I have done 2 "all nighter" fishing trips in Jervis Bay (really, from 12am onwards)...

Each time I started going for squid at my usual squid spots (that *always* produce during the day), then headed out deeper (long nose point etc) to go for other fish.

Both times I came up zero - nothing, nada, not even a nibble.

So what's the prob? Do I need to use different jigs? Different spots? Or is Squidding at night just a waste of time?

I should point out - both nights were very very dark. New Moon one night, and cloudy the other. My all round light on the boat isn't super bright (bright enough for its purpose).

thanks

Mike

Mike best place for squid at night is somewhere thats lit up. They are attracted to the light and often this occurs around bridges which are good holding grounds but often in deeper water. Whats is best to do here is have a couple of squid jigs on a paternoster rig with glow sticks just in front of them to help attract the squid to your jigs, then just jig them up and down and you should get a few. Read Slinky's article on squidding at the spit, this is how most people there squid there.

I don't know much about Jervis Bay but same principles should apply.

Josh

Down the road from my house there is a Jetty that has a light on it, of a night all i do is put a squid jig on with a float on it, and have the squid jig fairly close to the top so i can see it in the water. Just wait and give it a few jingles every now an then, when the squid come around they will attack it and u just have to try to pull them up onto the jetty from there.

Cheers

Cory

Sounds like good advice from Josh.

Personally, I find that squiding at night is better, especially just after sunset. Normally during the daytime I fish off the rocks near beds of seaweed with bolder/ rock covered bottom and normally catch Calamari squid.

During the night I find shallow sea grass beds with sandy patches are better and produce Arrowhead squid as well as generally smaller Calamari. They come in from the deeper water to feed under the cover of night, but are attracted to light.

I also bring a light to charge the luminescence strip on the body of the jig after each cast.

Good luck! Remember: Fisherman who good at catching squid is fisherman who good at catching Kingfish!

:1fishing1:

Cheers,

Leatherjacket

cool - thanks guys.

I'm guessing lights are the answer. Stronger light on the boat, perhaps fish around lighted areas (if available) - and glow sticks near the jigs.

Interesting enough - we did try a jig with an internal battery powered light, but got no joy.

I look forward to giving it another go :-)

Mike

cool - thanks guys.

I'm guessing lights are the answer. Stronger light on the boat, perhaps fish around lighted areas (if available) - and glow sticks near the jigs.

Interesting enough - we did try a jig with an internal battery powered light, but got no joy.

I look forward to giving it another go :-)

Mike

Mike i use a spot on JB on the north side. it has worked a couple of time for me in daylight (not at xmas though :1badmood: ) It was shown to me years ago by a guy that exclusivley worked it at night, he would drift with a foam box over the side, the middle of the foam box was cutout and a sealed beam car headlight was silconed in and conected to a battery and his jigs trailed behind the box. I have never tried it myself but sounds a solid idea

Hey all

Over the last few months I have done 2 "all nighter" fishing trips in Jervis Bay (really, from 12am onwards)...

Each time I started going for squid at my usual squid spots (that *always* produce during the day), then headed out deeper (long nose point etc) to go for other fish.

Both times I came up zero - nothing, nada, not even a nibble.

So what's the prob? Do I need to use different jigs? Different spots? Or is Squidding at night just a waste of time?

I should point out - both nights were very very dark. New Moon one night, and cloudy the other. My all round light on the boat isn't super bright (bright enough for its purpose).

thanks

Mike

Mate the other night we caught 2, 30cm+ squid of a jetty using a whiting on ganghooks to lure them in and a milk crate to scoop them up.

It worked really well as they would follow the whiting to the very surface.

Cheers,

Simmo