Identify This Fish (Grey/Blue Morwong)

Fisheroo

Question

guys

tjhis is the fsh that fishraider "something fishy" had caught in the bay.

he is claiming it to be a winter bream. im sure someone can correct this and tell us what it really is. the weight when measured was 5.8kg at 60cm.

cheers

fisheroo

[attachmentid=38778

post-7462-1233207806_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

Yep, nice Blue Mowie. To be entirely honest, i don't rate them as a table fish at all. Maybe we never cooked them correctly :wacko: however they had a distinct ammonia taste. They were all released from that day on. Has anyone else found they have an ammonia taste?

Cheers

Red

Yep, nice Blue Mowie. To be entirely honest, i don't rate them as a table fish at all. Maybe we never cooked them correctly :wacko: however they had a distinct ammonia taste. They were all released from that day on. Has anyone else found they have an ammonia taste?

Cheers

Red

immediate bleeding is a must.

the old man cuts out the meat on the shoulder with a red tinge to it before cooking,

i hadnt pinned it down to ammonia, i have just found them to be a bit crappy and so serve the mowie up to someone else if i keep them.

immediate bleeding is a must.

the old man cuts out the meat on the shoulder with a red tinge to it before cooking,

i hadnt pinned it down to ammonia, i have just found them to be a bit crappy and so serve the mowie up to someone else if i keep them.

Blue morwong... fish markets often call it "deep sea bream"..... when cooking you have to make sure you scrape the black stuff from the gut lining as i think this gives it that taste your talking about.... this should really be your minimum catch when reef fishing offshore..... Quote my brother "its a bad day when we cant even catch a mowie"..........

this is identified as a blue morwong

Yep!

From what I can find grey and blue are the same. Jackass is different.

Biggest give always I can spot are the dark band across the head and the fins on the side - blue/grey are split and have longer lower sections than the jackass morwong.