Cricket

LittleNoah

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ricky Ponting is an absolute gun mate. You just have to look at the blokes record to see that. I think Australia need some decent bowlers.

I reckon we have some absolutely unreal bowlers, Tait, Johnson, Bracken.

Ponting has a good innings now and then and everyone thinks he's the greatest, if he doesn't have a bloody good innings he's out for about 10 or so, which is more often than not.

Warne should have got captain after Waugh.

The sooner Clarke takes over the better!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can't stand Ponting. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Ricky Ponting is an absolute gun mate. You just have to look at the blokes record to see that

Mate he had one of the best teams in history under him, any captain would have that record with the following.

Best Spinner of all time ...warne

Best Fast bowler of all time.... Mcgrath

Best keeper batsmen....Gilchrist

And not to mention a batting ordering where the shittist average was 48.9.......

Now that Ponting doesnt have the best of the best in his team he cant makle them win......Now is the true test of his captaincy and he is failing miserably......

I love the cricket and the results so far are very disappointing. I think we under estimate our opponents. Our bowlers are doing ok, it is the batting that is failing. We still have quality players, but they get out doing stupid thins. Two run outs yesterday and taking those stupid risks was unbelievable.

Mate he had one of the best teams in history under him, any captain would have that record with the following.

And not to mention a batting ordering where the shittist average was 48.9.......

Now that Ponting doesnt have the best of the best in his team he cant makle them win......Now is the true test of his captaincy and he is failing miserably......

Perhaps he is still adjusting to the departure of great players and the younger players.

If you like agressive cricket, he is the best captain.

getting off the subject a bit saw glenn mcgrath trying to launch his brand new 6.5m haines hunter at cronulla boat ramp. he was towing it with a h2 hummer. it really isnt a ramp for boats like that but we had a chat and he is a good bloke and left him with the advise. wether he took it on board or not dont know. he told us it was the first time launching, funniest thing was my mate with me didnt know who he was.

The elite sports people representing their countries make massive sacrifices to achieve that level of talent.

I admire them for the dedication they display on and off the sporting arena. I enjoy immensely watching them display their wares either on screen or live.

Winners are grinners, as they say, however the pressure to win must be a major burden sometimes, and I guess it may also weigh heavily on their on field performances at times. Having said that, the selection criteria that they have had to go through must surely qualify them to represent their codes at the highest level.

How many times have we had that day out on the golf course when you can't get one shot to land on the fairway?

Not making excuses for them guys, but hey, when they shine they put on a pretty good show and have done their country proud for many a year.

That's my 2 bobs worth anyway.

Cheers

This is nothing new , many of Australias finest captains have had performance slumps. Some have recovered , some have not .

Australia has had a dream run for the last 12 years or so , we are just at the bottom of the performance trough at present , but we will once again find the magical combination that will have us at the top again.

The Lillee / Marsh , Warne / Healy thing will happen again.

Ross

Has anyone thought maybe South Africa and India have good sides these days and we are in a rebuilding period. That doesn't make Ricky Ponting a bad captain or player. The big test to see where the Aussies are at is the Ashes this year. Could be a good series.

I read somewhere the other day that in recent times australia has been playing too many matches too close together just for the extra cash from sponsors, match revenue etc... and this in turn leads to player overload and unable to perform at there best.

This seems a possibility when you see some of the ways top line batsmen are getting out in the last few games.

I think a good thing would be for commentators to be hooked up to the captains as they are experienced themselves and often come up with good ideas that could make the game more interesting to watch and to play. Although i doubt this will ever happen as you'll get issues of bias with commentators etc..

Remember that the team has changed a lot in the last 12-24 months with retirements and a lot of injuries and it is going to take a long time for the younger players to get experienced and become the same dominant forces that australia is known to have. Think of the injury list we've had the last few months, jaques, watson, lee, symonds, siddle, clarke, clark and probably more. Plus the selectors haven't done us any favours, picking guys like cameron white who cant even spin the ball.

If we want to become the team we used to be again then i think picking young players is the answer, sure guys like Dave Hussey are playing well and probably deserve a shot but in doing that its denying a good young player a chance at gaining valuable experience to become a top line player by the time he realistically will get his chance to prove himself which is too late and means we'll still be in the same rebuilding predicament we're in now.

Josh

I read somewhere the other day that in recent times australia has been playing too many matches too close together just for the extra cash from sponsors, match revenue etc... and this in turn leads to player overload and unable to perform at there best.

This seems a possibility when you see some of the ways top line batsmen are getting out in the last few games.

I think a good thing would be for commentators to be hooked up to the captains as they are experienced themselves and often come up with good ideas that could make the game more interesting to watch and to play. Although i doubt this will ever happen as you'll get issues of bias with commentators etc..

Remember that the team has changed a lot in the last 12-24 months with retirements and a lot of injuries and it is going to take a long time for the younger players to get experienced and become the same dominant forces that australia is known to have. Think of the injury list we've had the last few months, jaques, watson, lee, symonds, siddle, clarke, clark and probably more. Plus the selectors haven't done us any favours, picking guys like cameron white who cant even spin the ball.

If we want to become the team we used to be again then i think picking young players is the answer, sure guys like Dave Hussey are playing well and probably deserve a shot but in doing that its denying a good young player a chance at gaining valuable experience to become a top line player by the time he realistically will get his chance to prove himself which is too late and means we'll still be in the same rebuilding predicament we're in now.

Josh

I agree with the comments about the selectors! At the moment the Australian ODI team has 3 different guys each game i.e. - the selectors need to settle the team!

AC

Edited by leatherjacket

Now i am a student of the games history,

look at the side Clive Lloyd led he made that side and Viv Richards took it over Richie Richardson inherited a declining side that was decimated by the retirement of many champions, the failure lies in the absence of bowling stocks untimely injuries (Stuart Clarke - the answer to McGrath) and the failure to stick with players dropping them after a success Jason Krejzca nor blooding young players, Sth Africa have got it right we were thumped fair and square

We have had a great side that is now wanting, we should cop it on the chin imagine being a Windies fan they have suffered some ignomius defeats recently!

Objectively we need to rebuild and it may take time and yes we will get beat but i'm sure the aussies will rebound

As for Ponting the guy is a first rate tool wit h no diplomacy, he could learn a thing or two from Graeme Smith

And yes Warne was the best spinne rin history but McGrath the best fastie? He had bowled against some very poor opposition, surely you'd rate Akram, Younis, Kapil Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Walsh, Ambrose, then theres Lindwall, Miller, Marshall, Holding surely these guys bowled against better batsmen and far stronger opponents. Oh forgot Wes Hall and Alan Davidson...........numbers of wickets are not always the mark of greatness look at Lindwall average wit thte ball and oh he had centuries 6 of them did Glenn think he got a 50!

I'll say this as an Aussie unfortunately we are neurotic about winning and when we lose don't take it too well especially when where outplayed as we have been!

Hope this adds to some healthy debate......oh and Peter Roebuck as chairman of selectors might help!

Oh Netic don't disagree wit hyour post either just the bit about McGrath :1prop: You make a very valid point and Ponting is less than motavational as captain look at his treatment of Brett Lee now that guy has a heart!

Edited by luderick -angler

You have hit several nails on the head luderick angler.

Ponting only ever knew a winning side and I don't think he ever needed the nouse to tough out a win or maybe a draw a la captain grumpy, Alan Border. Look at the way he falls behind on over rates, consistently. Because he doesn't know what to do when the team is under the pump. Then look at the way he is prone to making poor decisions when things are not going his way. eg sending the poms in on a belter after losing glenn mcgrath on the morning of the test or not attacking when SA were 7 down and 180 behind this year in the test. Plenty of other examples, the most disgraceful being bowling part timers to catch up on overs in india this year. Shameful cricket and purely done in self interest; to avoid a suspension and fine.

You are right too about Brett Lee being treated poorly, add Sean Tait to that list. Coming back from injury, he was treated like a leper and made to rush through his overs when he was struggling to find line and length. Very poor leadership in my book.

Hussey looks to have way better leadership qualities to me. He at least likes to encourage blokes when it is needed on the field when all punter seems to do is scratch his chin and look pissed off.

The selectors need to be looking long term and blooding the likes of Phil Hughes. The indians have always done it and it means you are not left in a massive hole when the greats all go at once. The writing was on the wall ages ago, the public and media also needs to be realistic about where we are at.

BRING ON THE POMS THOUGH

You have hit several nails on the head luderick angler.

Ponting only ever knew a winning side and I don't think he ever needed the nouse to tough out a win or maybe a draw a la captain grumpy, Alan Border. Look at the way he falls behind on over rates, consistently. Because he doesn't know what to do when the team is under the pump. Then look at the way he is prone to making poor decisions when things are not going his way. eg sending the poms in on a belter after losing glenn mcgrath on the morning of the test or not attacking when SA were 7 down and 180 behind this year in the test. Plenty of other examples, the most disgraceful being bowling part timers to catch up on overs in india this year. Shameful cricket and purely done in self interest; to avoid a suspension and fine.

You are right too about Brett Lee being treated poorly, add Sean Tait to that list. Coming back from injury, he was treated like a leper and made to rush through his overs when he was struggling to find line and length. Very poor leadership in my book.

Hussey looks to have way better leadership qualities to me. He at least likes to encourage blokes when it is needed on the field when all punter seems to do is scratch his chin and look pissed off.

The selectors need to be looking long term and blooding the likes of Phil Hughes. The indians have always done it and it means you are not left in a massive hole when the greats all go at once. The writing was on the wall ages ago, the public and media also needs to be realistic about where we are at.

BRING ON THE POMS THOUGH

i neglected all that Humesy but dead right, oh did Ponting ever see the tough times i think not Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh at least maintained a winning side and they ushered in change when needed you had transition of bowlers like the Fleming/Riefal era Healing handing over to Gilchrist the retirement of Boon, it goes on but Ponting is the poorest of captains in along time and as far as using Part timers do we a decent one? At least Brad Hogg had the goods and was a left arm spin bowler to boot!

Whens the last time a team faced a four prong pace attack and all the bowlers were 6 foot plus (apologies to Mr Malcom Marshall - though he did tell Boon if he had to go round the wicket he would kill him in a game!) The only pressure Ponting knows is that he is failing and cannot cope with it!

surely you'd rate Akram, Younis, Kapil Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Walsh, Ambrose, then theres Lindwall, Miller, Marshall, Holding surely these guys bowled against better batsmen and far stronger opponents. Oh forgot Wes Hall and Alan Davidson...........

Don't forget

Alderman, McDermott, Thompson, Hughes,

Don't forget

Alderman, McDermott, Thompson, Hughes,

Well i'd rate Alderman, Mc Dermott for doing it tough they were good bowlers but for great quicks no one had it on a string like Waqar Younis now lets see a reverse swing yorker please Mr Younis and for sheer pace of 14 steps Akram was not bad though i did forget to mention Truman and Stathham, remeber bob Massey blew out before his time!

Akram, Younis, Kapil Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Walsh, Ambrose, then theres Lindwall, Miller, Marshall, Holding

This is a fine list LA. Akram and Ambrose for mine, with Waqar Younis and Marshall close behind.

Warnie would have been a great skipper, if not for his indescretions. His cricketing brain was twice that of Ponting's. Warnie told him what to do half the time anyway.

Akram, Younis, Kapil Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Walsh, Ambrose, then theres Lindwall, Miller, Marshall, Holding

This is a fine list LA. Akram and Ambrose for mine, with Waqar Younis and Marshall close behind.

Warnie would have been a great skipper, if not for his indescretions. His cricketing brain was twice that of Ponting's. Warnie told him what to do half the time anyway.

Never will forget Ambroses spell on the WACA 7 for 1

Humesy Warne was the rightful heir apparent but you are right, but then Keith Millers indiscretion or lack of respect might we say cost him the captaincy what tossing the ball back to Bradman oh the shame :1prop: at least the likes of Warney Miller and Walters knew how to enjoy the game, oh heres a name Sobers bats 3 to 6 bowls two types of spin and occasionally opened the bowling with his medium pacers, not to mention he was a n ace in cover or the slips! Where can we find one of him? :bump0ee::beersmile:

I can't beleive how many negative coments there are on our Australian captain Ricky Ponting. We're talking about a guy who could possibly go down as the greatest batsmen (behind sir Don) ever. My question to everyone is this. Give Steve Waugh or Taylor the current side and see what happens. It was ok for them two, if they got into trouble just through the ball to Warne and McGrath. They'll win it for us. Who has Ponting got to turn to who's even close to those two?

Perhaps we should be supporting him not the other way around. Ponting can only work with what the selectors give him. Maybe the selector's positions should be closely looked at.

I can't beleive how many negative coments there are on our Australian captain Ricky Ponting. We're talking about a guy who could possibly go down as the greatest batsmen (behind sir Don) ever. My question to everyone is this. Give Steve Waugh or Taylor the current side and see what happens. It was ok for them two, if they got into trouble just through the ball to Warne and McGrath. They'll win it for us. Who has Ponting got to turn to who's even close to those two?

Perhaps we should be supporting him not the other way around. Ponting can only work with what the selectors give him. Maybe the selector's positions should be closely looked at.

So you'd rate Ponting over Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Neil Harvey, Everton Weekes, Sunil Gavaskar, Frank Worrell, George Hedley, Len Hutton and moderns such as Sachin Tendulkar, Mark and Steve Waugh (who ground it out against far superior bowlers in their day)

As far as criticism goes Ponting has got a few players that would make any test side Hussey, Clarke, Stuart Clarke, he is far from inspiring as a captain a least Frank worrell and Richie Benaud made a sporting gesture of the 1960 - 61 tour and they were gentlemen of the game in the true sense!